Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

The Real Bible Truth

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 164 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 12:25:06 PM PDT
B. Banks says:
Yes, [faith alone in Jesus Christ] will get us into heaven. It is His (Jesus') faith not our faith that we rely on. (Abraham's spiritual seed is Christ Jesus.)
Galatians 2:16 "Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified."
No works can ever justify us; only through Jesus are we saved.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 12:28:15 PM PDT
Kevin Bold says:
LOL!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 12:41:26 PM PDT
down2erth says:
HC says: ''Oh, and you still have not shown where Scripture ALONE is Biblical.
Do you believe in the Trinity? Where is the word: Trinity in the Bible?
Must not be true, right?''

Well, you got it: the Trinity didn't come into being until the council of Constantinople (381AD); even then it took centuries for it to be promulgated throughout the churches of Europe. Even the Council of Nicaea (300AD?) didn't mention a Trinity, only a Duality of God and Christ.
Further the early Church fathers did NOT believe in a Duality or a Trinity - that would be Tertullian, Clement, Irenaeus, Origen, Justin Martyr, Hippolytus and probably others. Most of them DISTINCTLY said that God was superior to Christ. Research that for yourself if you wish.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 5:34:47 PM PDT
Kevin Bold says:
There WAS a Trinity BEFORE Nicea.

But there was a heretic named Arius who challenged the idea. The result was Nicea, which re-affirmed, enhanced, and strengthened the doctrine.

And all the Church Fathers you mention certainly did believe in the Trinity -- especially, of the ones you named, Tertullian.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 6:10:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 6, 2012 6:24:12 PM PDT
down2erth says:
Check your history . . .

There wasn't even a Trinity AT Nicaea - only a duality, and not all the bishops agreed . . . a council run by a pagan, Constantine.

To help you along, here is some information on the thoughts of Tertullian: [The Son is distinct from the Father, and the Spirit from both the Father and the Son (Adv. Praxeam, xxv). "These three are one substance, not one person; and it is said, 'I and my Father are one' in respect not of the singularity of number but the unity of the substance." The very names "Father" and "Son" indicate the distinction of personality. The Father is one, the Son is one, and the Spirit is one (Adv. Praxeam, ix). As regards the question whether the Son was coeternal with the Father, many believe that Tertullian did not teach that.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 7:25:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 6, 2012 7:27:54 PM PDT
Kevin Bold says:
Check your own history. You're the one who needs the help.

Tertullian beautifully anticipates Nicea's decision in your quotes of him.

Less than five bishops disagreed. Constantine was an Arian.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2012 6:44:43 AM PDT
The Trinity

Is not supported in jewish text so it does NOT matter what christians say about it Jews worship ONE true God not a 3 in 1 God like the christians because "YAHWHEH" is God of Isreal one supreme being and "JEHOVAH" is God of The New Testament which consists of father,son,holy spirit and a man-god named Jesus which the jews reject as a God also

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2012 7:31:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 7, 2012 11:29:20 AM PDT
down2erth says:
Read into it whatever you like - your choice.
But note this: "The formulation 'one God in three Persons' was not solidly established, certainly not fully assimilated into Christian life and its profession of faith, prior to the end of the 4th century. . . . Among the Apostolic Fathers, there had been nothing even remotely approaching such a mentality or perspective."-New Catholic Encyclopedia.
So do you disagree with your own Catholic Encyclopedia?

EDIT: Also, only a small portion of all the Bishops even attended the council of Nicaea - not that that is really relevant, but I just wanted to make sure everything is seen accurately.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2012 8:22:07 AM PDT
JosephusD says:
Sorry, I have to barge in here, but I just want to make sure you are aware that there are thousands of churches that do not affiliate themselves with a particular denomination. I only mention it because this is the third or fourth time by my count that you have asked someone what "denomination" they are. This doesn't make a person "unchurched" just not "affiliated."

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2012 2:52:19 PM PDT
Kevin Bold says:
I'd like to check that, and yes, I can disagree with "The New Catholic Encyclopedia" if I want, and without fear of excommunication, LOL...

And of the over three hundred bishops at Nicea, no more than five voted for Arius' heresy.

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 7:25:17 PM PDT
there are 4,759 religions out there and every one is the only truth according to the believers. if you dont believe intelligent well funcioning people believe crazy things read about Mormonism. There are few christians alive today that believe what most christians believed for the last 2,000 years. I suppose few here would agree that humans have evolved to believe in gods for which there is no proof because people do and there is only their feelings which make it happen.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2012 7:33:21 PM PDT
people make up their own stuff
look at sciencefictionology church

people keep changing the truth in christianity
look at teh whore of babylon

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2012 4:12:05 PM PDT
people keep changing the truth in christianity
look at teh whore of babylon

(No one is changing the truth in chrisitanity because NONE exists so who is the whore now???)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 5:30:21 PM PDT
B. Banks says:
Any denomination who prostitutes the Word of God is the "whore of babylon."

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 5:38:21 PM PDT
libloon2 says:
Gr8fl2 says: //But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself...//

Hmmmm....you've been reading the King James Version - a lot!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 5:45:15 PM PDT
libloon2 says:
Grifl2 says: //It is like NT churches; believers meet together to worship the Lord, study His Word,//

Question: If the believers meet together to worship the Lord, study His Word....in a CATHOLIC church...they're doing something wrong?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 5:51:01 PM PDT
libloon2 says:
Dear Happy Catholic: //antiCatholic who won't tell us what supposed "Church" he belongs to,//

On another thread, my take is that each poster interprets the BIBLE and quotes some particular passages, that define their "church".
AND each of them practices THEIR OWN, but VERY CORRECT version of Christianity - the other posters are just wrong, and are going to hell, especially those Catholics!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 6:02:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 9, 2012 6:03:34 PM PDT
libloon2 says:
Gr8fl2 says: //I've heard all this before, Christ Jesus never mentioned the RCC in Matthew 16, or anywhere else.//

And Christ also, never mentioned the Lutherans, Episcopalians, Methodists, Baptists, 7th Day Adventists, Witnesses of Jehovah, Assemblies of God, Holy Rollerskaters, etc.

Don't you think that you should think about starting another thread:
"Christianity vs. Catholics, Lutherans, Episcopalians, Methodists, Baptists, 7th Day Adventists, Witnesses of Jehovah, Assemblies of God, Holy Rollerskaters, etc."

Think about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012 12:39:32 AM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
Full context of the snippet you quoted:

"Christ Jesus never mentioned the RCC in Matthew 16, or anywhere else. Ephesians 4 might be helpful, but you would have to discard the 'traditions of man' you've been taught (and Jesus condemned) in order to receive the truth which is written there."

Note, I'm not promoting ANY denomination. I only promote the Word of God.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012 12:41:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2012 12:43:03 AM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
The full context of the snippet you quoted:

"The church of which I'm a part is not part of a denomination. It is like NT churches; believers meet together to worship the Lord, study His Word, and serve the Lord as the Body of Christ within the church, the community, and the world.

Nope, the Bible doesn't say you are supposed (or not supposed) to meet together with other believers on Wednesday nights. In the NT church, they met together throughout the week."

If believers meet together to worship the Lord and study His Word anywhere at any time, that's a great thing. Note I didn't say anything negative about ANY group of people doing this.

The problem I see in the CC is that so many other 'authorities' take precedence over the Bible. CC tradition, Magisterium, papal bulls, etc, are elevated about the Word of God.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012 12:47:18 AM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
LOL. I googled the verse which had been referenced in the post to which I replied, and the KJV came up. Here's that same verse in a more modern translation which is said to have been translated from the original languages:

1 Timothy 3:15 (ESV)

But if I delay, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, a pillar and buttress of the truth.

This verse refers to the early church, the Body of Christ, not any denomination. In the book of Acts which delineates the birth and history of the early church, believers were first simply called 'people of The Way' because Christ Jesus IS the Way, the Truth, and the Life. Later they were first called Christians at Antioch.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012 6:55:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2012 6:56:45 AM PDT
Gr8: what is your opinion of the recent popular question about God's timing and focus on one people. Humans emerged from Africa 100,000 years ago and its estimated there were less than 10,000 on earth. All humans should be equal in god's eyes yet did he really wait around for 96,000 years before picking Abraham in the middle of no where. And why him the Chinese could already read and write? The after picking one people waits around a couple of thousand years to spread it around via the pregnant virgin route still ignoring Asia and the Americas. And why after so many pregnant virgin stories only the Jesus one counts.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 12:02:03 PM PDT
B.BANKS

Yes, [faith alone in Jesus Christ] will get us into heaven.

(This just applies to Christians in order to get into the Christians Only heaven all non-christians are exempt because we go to a different heaven where EVERYONE is welcome!!!)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 12:03:53 PM PDT
B.BANKS

Any denomination who prostitutes the Word of God is the "whore of babylon."

(Which book is the word of God?? Torah,New Testament,Catholic or Protestant version??)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 12:05:11 PM PDT
LAWRENCE

GREAT!!! Questions too bad GR8 won't be able to give you logical answers!!!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
629 19 days ago
The Watchers 2128 1 minute ago
Seriously starting to change my mind about atheism. Can someone tell me why I'm wrong 2950 2 minutes ago
Catholicism is based on Jesus Christ - Part 10 1852 7 minutes ago
Why the Gospels are unreliable 9671 12 minutes ago
Recent films "Noah" and "Exodus." What do they indicate? 165 15 minutes ago
Can Christianity be saved from the harm done by Literalist ID/Creationist End Times fundies: Part the Eighth 3520 31 minutes ago
The Restored Church of Jesus Christ 5384 33 minutes ago
Freedom of Religion and "discrimination" 591 34 minutes ago
Christian Friends with Books (Part One) 54 42 minutes ago
Where do DEAD people go? 562 53 minutes ago
Boy Scouts of America President: "Ban of Gay Leaders Unsustainable" 324 54 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  164
Initial post:  Aug 5, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions