In our last episode, I gave some of the arguments against Mary's sinlessness:
1) Romans 3:23 -- doesn't apply to Mary
2) Infinite Regress of Sinless Grannies -- patently silly.
3) "It's not in the Bible" -- doesn't have to be, although God's holiness, sinners' inability to withstand God's glory, and OT Marian typology, all of which are in Scripture, point to it.
4) "Only Catholics believe it." -- That's an argument?
5) "Catholics didn't believe it until 1854." -- History proves otherwise.
Then I found some more:
6) Luke 1:47 -- God saved Mary from sin by keeping sin from entering her when she was conceived. Mary then continued, eventually saying, "(F)or he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name" (Luke 1:49).
7) Luke 2:22-24: Mary and Joseph offered two turtledoves because a woman who'd had a baby was RITUALLY UNCLEAN. Having a baby is NOT a sin (aborting one is).
8) The Church Fathers weren't in unanimity on the matter, or didn't think so: Oh, puh-LEEZ give me a break!
Did I leave anything out this time?
ADDENDA: Yes, someone came up with something not included above:
"(I)f you knew how a female body nourishes a baby, you'd know that no blood is mingled."
Sin enters the child at the moment of conception (Ps 51:5), inside the mother's womb. "No intermingling of blood" doesn't matter. God wouldn't want to be inside a sinner anymore than the _shekinah_ would remain inside a defiled temple (as if a placenta would stop sin, anyway).
Recent discussions in the Christianity forum
AnnouncementAmazon Discussions Feedback Forum
|629||18 days ago|
|Can Christianity be saved from the harm done by Literalist ID/Creationist End Times fundies: Part the Eighth||3215||47 seconds ago|
|Marijuana legalization and Christianity, what's a good Christian to do?||16||5 minutes ago|
|Seriously starting to change my mind about atheism. Can someone tell me why I'm wrong||2839||7 minutes ago|
|Catholic-Protestant Discussion Part XXIX||8732||8 minutes ago|
|Boy Scouts of America President: "Ban of Gay Leaders Unsustainable"||269||8 minutes ago|
|The Watchers||1934||13 minutes ago|
|Pope Francis Meets With Female Head Of Church Of Sweden||556||35 minutes ago|
|The Restored Church of Jesus Christ||5360||36 minutes ago|
|Why is it that We Don't Hear Anything about Suicide?||16||59 minutes ago|
|What is the Kingdom of God? Jesus said to seek it first...above all else.||19||1 hour ago|
|What does the cross mean to you?||2130||1 hour ago|