Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now May4th
Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

All True Christians Have A Duty To Protect The Innocent, And Part Of That Is Gun Control

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 378 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 14, 2012 5:29:04 PM PST
How sad that 20 Kindergartners didn't get home today from school.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 5:54:44 PM PST
DocMMV says:
As long as "gun control" is define as: hitting what you aim at.

Want to stop these tragedies? Take the corpse of the shooter and hang him from a tree from dawn to dusk. Then, post a copy of the Ten Commandments in every classroom in America and quiz the kids annually on what they are.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 6:00:29 PM PST
No one ever argues for not controling rabid animals in residential neighborhoods, or not vaccinating and registering dogs -- from pit bulls to chihuahuas -- to limit the spread of rabies; but anyone should have a .357 mag no questions asked.

Quite incongruent, in my book.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 6:37:53 PM PST
Rubedo says:
DocMMV says:

As long as "gun control" is define as: hitting what you aim at.

Want to stop these tragedies? Take the corpse of the shooter and hang him from a tree from dawn to dusk. Then, post a copy of the Ten Commandments in every classroom in America and quiz the kids annually on what they are.

R:
Wont work. These killers are irrational and suicidal.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 6:49:48 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 18, 2012 2:10:20 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 6:55:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 6:55:54 PM PST
John M. Lane says:
All true Christians do have a duty to protect the innocent. Note the police officers and fire fighters shown entering the school. The police officers are all armed, standard operating procedure for responding to a report of a shooting, especially at a school.

It should also be noted that Connecticut already has some of the most strict gun control laws in the US. Unfortunately, none of them stopped this monstrous crime.

The criminal's first victim was the owner of the guns (his mother.) He murdered her by shooting her in the face after a dispute. He then stole her firearms and used them to murder the children in the kindergarten class where she served as a teacher's aide.

None of the laws he broke prevented his murderous rampage in a "gun free zone" (the school.) Evil exists and it reminds us that it's still among us. Ask any police officer.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 7:05:51 PM PST
DocMMV says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 7:07:26 PM PST
DocMMV says:
Then you don't understand the methods of God. Use His method; stop the madness. Pretty simple.
As an aside, can you tell me the last time there was a horse thief in Western America?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 11:56:21 PM PST
G. J. Stein says:
You feel the sting of this like we all do but don't get to hasty.
Taking OUR weapons is NOT going to stop this kind of criminal.

Have you ever read why, during the attack on Pearl Harbor,
Japan never invaded our mainland, when it could have hit the
Pacific Coast with ease?

They knew we all had guns, they just had no idea of what to expect
from that and didn't want to risk it. It's as simple as that!

The trouble with our society today is not enough guns at the time when
equal force is called for to stop a madman.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 12:14:50 AM PST
DocMMV says:
No sir. Equal and timely force in crisis is a bandaid for our society. Our trouble is we have turned away from the God who made us and gave us life. Turn back, and watch how quickly things change.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 12:22:44 AM PST
G. J. Stein says:
DocMMV says: "As long as "gun control" is define as: hitting what you aim at."

Amen!

Target shooting is as much fun as bowling, and I know, woman and kids can
have a blast doing it together.

I would hope the NRA would begin to promote such wholesome family activities
like this, as a deflection to those who are immediately wanting to call guns evil by
themselves, failing to distinguish the crack-pot who was wielding them.

Obama has already made a comment to the affect; "it's time for the American
people to put a stop to this regardless of party differences", meaning the Dem's
are not going to let this tragedy get away, from their agenda!

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 1:16:53 AM PST
Oh dear, if this matter becomes nothing more than a political issue, there is nothing left but to brace for the next tragedy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 1:18:42 AM PST
>>Wont work. These killers are irrational and suicidal.<<

More than that, I see the unstable minds capable of such acts revelling in the spectacle.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 4:04:23 AM PST
Lao Tzu says:
It is not, ultimately, the responsibility of the govt to prevent a crime from occurring, only to respond to force with force.

We cannot sue policemen for not being on the scene of a crime before it happened.

When we lose the right to bear arms, we set the stage for a truly totalitarian state. Only criminals and govt will have guns, I trust neither to act in my interest.

As Rahm Emmuanuel would say "never waste a good crisis". The next bill to take away our rights will be called the "Sandy Hook Children's Act". Goebbels will be proud.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 4:44:42 AM PST
Rubedo says:
DocMMV says:

Then you don't understand the methods of God. Use His method; stop the madness. Pretty simple.
As an aside, can you tell me the last time there was a horse thief in Western America?

R:Even strict gun control laws will not stop access. it will make it more difficult but the madness will still be there. The preferential option for violence will still be there. These shootings are a symptom of a deeper more complex social problem.

You say "stop the madness pretty simple".
Not simple at all.
What are all the causes of such a tragedy?

Easy access to guns? Sure.
Mentally disturbed guy? and it always seems to be a guy. Why's that?
Violence glorified in our culture?
Nihilist view of life?
Godlessness?

I mean let's get then all listed befor pointing to just one.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 6:09:06 AM PST
dischism says:
The UK has a population of around 63 million, the US around 313 million, approximately five times larger. The UK has very strict gun control and had 51 gun related deaths altogether last year. Proportionally one would expect around 300 gun related deaths in the US. There were actually 32 000, 9000 of which were murder. Make of that what you will.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:18:49 AM PST
RKG says:
in my book as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:21:14 AM PST
RKG says:
as if you and a sub machine gun can stop a tank if the government chooses to use one right?

there is something so tragic and savage and insane about some americans that it boggles the mind.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:23:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 7:27:02 AM PST
RKG says:
ah so the big bad japanese army was scared of america because its citizens had guns.

ROFL

that's a good one. you people are too funny

what however is not funny - is some people who call themselves christians who advocate a gun culture. i simply cannot understand this mindset. christians are supposed to be a people of peace - yet celebrate and adore an instrument that was created for one purpose only - to create hurt harm and mayhem...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:25:13 AM PST
RKG says:
how come the crackpot only becomes a crackpot when he/she does something like this? how come they were quite sane and lovely citizens up until a minute before?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:25:55 AM PST
RKG says:
perhaps if his mother did not have a gun - this tragedy would not have occurred.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:28:35 AM PST
RKG says:
ameicans are savages, it is clear. i for one look forward to a shooting out at the ok corral on a daily basis.
but hey, as long as we are not touched and we can say "oh how tragic" , i guess things are ok with the world.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:46:39 AM PST
Vicki says:
Dear dischism,

Yet, the data shows that nearly 8% of UK residents will be a victim of violent crime, and just over 2% of US residents will be a victim of violent crime.

What do you make of that?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 7:14:50 AM PST
dischism says:
Are they dead, Vicki?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 7:42:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 8:17:47 AM PST
A Customer says:
Sue, I thought for sure Viki's numbers must be exaggerations so I starting googling some stats. It is somewhat amazing. In the U.S. in 2009 we had a population of 307,006,550, with a total of 1,318,398 violent crimes, a rate of 0.43%.
http://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2009/data/table_01.html

In 2010 in England and Wales they had a population of 54,816,100 with a total of 833,152 violent crimes, for a rate of 1.52%, a rate that is 3.5 times the U.S. rate.
http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publications/science-research-statistics/research-statistics/crime-research/hosb0611/hosb0611?view=Binary
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_the_United_Kingdom#section_2

I guess all this shows us is the old motto is true, "Lies, damned lies, and statistics". Though it has been suggested many times that the problem with home invasions in the UK while the homeowner is in the house is attributable to the fact that the home invader has no fear that there is a gun waiting for him on the other side of the front door.

Anyway, there are no easy answers here. People often act in evil ways, it's like a game of "whack-a-mole", you try to stop the evil in one way and it pops up somewhere else.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1042 27 days ago
Dispensations and the Gospels: 6714 33 seconds ago
My Mob's pub and coffee shop. Part the Eleventh 3459 8 minutes ago
Frederick Engels: "On the History of Early Christianity" 7 9 minutes ago
Catholicism is based on Jesus Christ - Part 10 9655 15 minutes ago
Catholic-Protestant Discussion Part XXXV 2079 17 minutes ago
Why does God massacre millions of children? 75 24 minutes ago
The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints is Christian. 4276 1 hour ago
Harvard University test results show that homosexuality is indeed caused by parental neglect --that is from Harvard mind you! 2620 1 hour ago
Part 2- the Newer Thread 7328 1 hour ago
Six reasons Christianity is a false faith, based on a false god 9440 2 hours ago
Transgender Individuals 1443 3 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  45
Total posts:  378
Initial post:  Dec 14, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions