Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

Hello, I am new to this forum

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 31, 2013 8:12:11 AM PST
Hello, I haven't written on Amazon forums before and have been trying to figure out how to start in a polite fashion here. I'm a Christian but I haven't been going to church because I can't seem to find one in my small Midwestern town that isn't mostly just about conservative politics rather than being about God. I'm starving for more about God and Jesus. Anyway, I'll go through here and look at some of the discussions. I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 8:21:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 31, 2013 8:22:49 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 8:22:53 AM PST
goblue says:
Howdy and

WWWWWWAAAAAAAASSSSAAAAAAAAPPPPPPP!!!!!

LOL!!

Welcome!

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 8:34:32 AM PST
Brian Curtis says:
Hi.

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 8:54:50 AM PST
M. Simonson says:
The forum is about Christianity as a topic and doesn't work well as a place for Christians to fellowship. There are two threads or topics that sort of do, those are "Prayer meeting" and "Moment of Broken-ness testimonies".

Other than that it's a wild "free-for-all" (which was also the title of a most excellent Ted Nugent song).

I do agree that way too many of those fundamentalists and evangelicals are getting their politics mixed up with their religion. If you are "starving for more about God and Jesus" there is plenty of material on the web. Interacting in fellowship doesn't work well in this forum but try those two threads.

You can also web search "home church" to see if there is a home church in your town but if it's small there probably isn't. Those are churches where believers just gather in fellowship in their homes and refuse to fall under errant bishops and head-pastors.
Also see if any of the churches in your area use the "small group" model where members have weekly meetings in their homes. Sometimes even if "pastor" is an arrogant bombastic jerk there are nice folks meeting in their homes for bible study etc.

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 9:24:03 AM PST
Thank you all for posting. I had an emergency and had to leave. I'll be back soon. I am seeking and questioning and like to hear all sides of the issues. So it will be fine if atheists, agnostics and others are here. I also am looking for that group of true believers and seekers as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 9:27:04 AM PST
Max Flash says:
Susan E. Davis: So it will be fine if atheists, agnostics and others are here.

Max: How refreshing! This former Christian welcomes you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 9:54:57 AM PST
M. Galishoff says:
Welcome Susan

Let me hook you up to a great ministry:

www.ligonier.org.

Find a Church that

1) Believes in the sanctity of the word of God, its plenary inspiration and infallibility.
2) Has sound reformed doctrine
3) Preaches and teaches the full Word of God - and not feel good, politics, live a better life etc.
4) Has the sacraments of baptism and the Lord's Supper
5) Exercises loving and appropriate church discipline according to Scripture.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 10:55:24 AM PST
Iatric says:
There is a lot of good preaching to be found on the internet, and a lot of bad. Alistair Begg of Truth for Life ministries is my favorite.

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 2:34:56 PM PST
Sean B says:
Hi Susan.

I'm pleased to introduce you to what I believe and practice as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I will try to be concise but helpful. As was stated, opinions flood these discussions - they're like belly buttons, everyone's got one.

First, let me say that pretty well everyone in the developed world has an opinion of said church, for good or ill. I have no idea what you know or feel about it.

Well, to your question about political involvement, the church has a pretty strict separation on political matters, unless it concerns a moral issue, but no candidates are endorsed.

As for me, I am a lay member (lol- we all are!) with a calling in the cub scout program here in Boise ID. The gospel of Jesus Christ is integral to my life, family, and community of saints I worship with and serve with.

Let me give you an idea of what life is like for a member of the church (also called "Mormons"). Personally, I read the Bible each day (just finished for the first time in 2012!), pray each morning and evening (and throughout the day!), and attend church each week. I rode my bike down to the apartments down the road to help a family move in last night. I re-anchor my discipleship each week by taking the sacrament (like Communion or Lord's Supper) wherein I remember the sacrifice of Jesus Christ for my sins and renew my covenants to always remember him, and keep his commandments and he promises to bless me with His Spirit, which is essential in this day and age, or as much as it ever was.

As a family, each evening we sing a hymn, pray, and hold scripture study. We also pray each morning together. These opportunities help us to receive the Lord's blessings, learn the gospel each day, strengthen our faith as we stand against the temptations of the devil, and help unite us in love as a family. We also hold a weekly "Family Home Evening" where we add an activity, treat, weekly planning/ family council, gospel centered lesson, and recognition of people's accomplishments. Our 4 kids (ages 5 - 12) all sign up to help out each week. It's one of our favorite times of the week.

Our congregation, or "ward," is made up of roughly 400 people, half of which are active. No one is paid, and we all have a "calling" to serve. The Bishop serves as the leader of our ward. He counsels with members, administers the welfare aspects of the ward, issues callings, and keeps a watch over the flock. We worship God together primarily through teaching and testimony, singing hymns, the Sacrament, and prayer. The Holy Ghost in an integral component of our worship.

Susan, I am certain that God lives. You are his daughter, he loves and cares about you more than you know. Jesus Christ provides the path to peace in this life and eternal life with God in the world to come. As we learn and do the will of God, worship Him in spirit and truth, and do our best, God will forgive our sins, we will experience peace, happiness, and fulfillment beyond anything this earth can bring. No matter your past, you can come unto God with your whole soul and be saved through the grace and mercies of Christ.

Please feel free to ask away at anything that you are interested. I'd encourage you to let your inner compass guide your interests rather than internet sites or others' opinions. So many get lost in the weeds and cannot discern true doctrine through sincere study, prayer, pondering, and application.

Here are the 13 Articles of Faith of the church, which provide an excellent start in understanding what we believe:

1.We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

2.We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam's transgression.

3.We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

4.We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

5.We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

6.We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

7.We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

8.We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

9.We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

10.We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

11.We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

12.We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

13.We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul-We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

http://mormon.org/articles-of-faith

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 3:08:39 PM PST
M. Galishoff says:
Iatric

I love Dr. Begg. Have you listened to his series on Ruth "God of the Ordinary."?

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 3:14:20 PM PST
Susan,
Welcome. I hope you find this group meaningful.
God Bless You.
John

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 4:19:13 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 4:20:31 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 4:28:02 PM PST
Katydid says:
Hi Susan. I post occasionally here but am more of a "reader":) You learn a lot about different beliefs and views. It's also a good launching point for looking more into subjects and scriptures that are brought up by both religious and non religious posters. Have fun with it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 4:31:19 PM PST
mrs exp says:
Susan E. Davis,
Welcome to these forums. There are all kinds of people here. I hope you enjoy.

I know what you mean about politics and the churches. I'm having the same trouble in a mid-size California city.

There is a lot of controversy on these forums. I like that.
exp

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 4:34:26 PM PST
mrs exp says:
M Galishoff,
That sounds wonderful, until I find they are all Presdestinarians.

Do they preach on TULIP very often or on other things?
exp

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 4:39:18 PM PST
Hello, this is a very busy forum! I've just returned home and haven't had time to read all of these posts. I'll be reading them this evening. The ones I've seen are so kind and I thank you for being interested in having me here! I had sudden pressing business come up and wouldn't have posted yet if I had known I'd be so busy. I'll read the posts soon; I should have time this evening. Susan Thanks again for all of the postings!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 4:44:24 PM PST
Astrocat says:
Hi, Susan. I hope you find the group here compatible and not too aggressively anti- or pro-. I imagine you'll get all kinds of advice, but thinking for yourself and following your own path is the best way to learn anything. If Christianity is your path I'd suggest some non-fundamentalist authors, like Bishop Spong and Elaine Pagels, along with Karen Armstrong and Tom Harpur. Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 4:51:42 PM PST
M. Galishoff says:
Mrs Exp

I gave general characteristics of a true Church. A true Church can be Arminian in doctrine, five point Calvinists, 4 point Calvinists etc. What we are seeing are churches that deny the deity of Christ, the atonement, the resurrection, the Trinity etc. All these things are non-negotiable basic Christian doctrine. We find preachers who either do not know how, do not understand or are afraid to preach from Scripture and pander to the world to fill the pews rather than proclaim the Gospel. There is a problem out there that is rampant and more serious than the differences between Arminians and Calvinists.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 4:57:52 PM PST
mrs exp says:
M Galishoff,
I've been looking for a church that will preach exergetically from the Bible. If they can relate that to my living as a Christian fine, but it has to come from the Bible. I don't want a church whose service looks more like a Hollywood production.

I listened to a three men talking about Christianity. One was R C Sproul, and I think another was Tim Keller can't remember the third. Well R C Sproul who I have loved for years who is a staunch Predestinarian, very kindly said "I won't say Arminians are not Christians...." He left it at that and continued.
exp

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 5:12:11 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 5:14:41 PM PST
nameinuse says:
I've gone to Presbyterian services my whole life and I don't think I've ever heard them mention predestination directly or indirectly.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 5:56:20 PM PST
M. Galishoff says:
Mrs Exp

I listen to RC everyday. He clearly asserts that the difference between Arminians and Calvinists is not of the order to prevent Christian fellowship. He says they are wrong but that is another matter. The big problem now is Christianity being hijacked by the anti-Christ. Heresy is being promoted as the new norm. I have never experienced such a Church. But they are out there. And they cater to people who do not want to hear exegetical preaching, sound doctrine, the full word of God or the Gospel. They want to be comfortable and feel good. A sinner should never feel comfortable in a Church much less not be offended by the Gospel. They should feel welcome but the message and the place should convict them of their sin and be it God's will, unto salvation.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 6:07:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 31, 2013 6:09:43 PM PST
J. Green says:
susan..... I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello
----------------------------
I am an atheist to the christian god.
I will gladly help you out.
I have read the bible,.
I have read the New Testament twice.
That is why I am an atheist towards christianity.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 78 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
561 3 days ago
Christian faith can be deadly 831 2 minutes ago
Homosexual's in Houston attack Pastors 3036 3 minutes ago
Was Christ's crucifixion a genuine sacrifice? 1482 3 minutes ago
Which Bible? 1591 4 minutes ago
Truly ridiculous scriptures 2965 6 minutes ago
What is the True Religion? 2680 6 minutes ago
Will an atheist ever change their mind? 8905 8 minutes ago
The End of the World as we know it... 4838 8 minutes ago
Part 6 - the new thread 3113 10 minutes ago
The Historical Jesus 4373 14 minutes ago
Catholic-Protestant Discussion (was "Mary was Sinless"). 652 15 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  64
Total posts:  1932
Initial post:  Jan 31, 2013
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions