Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

What is your denomination and why?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 191 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 14, 2013 5:25:26 PM PST
Dragon says:
I consider myself evangelic/lutheran since I lived and went to church in Germany for most of my life and it speaks to my beliefs and what I like to see in a church/service.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 8:50:35 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 1:47:42 AM PST
I'm a member of the church of Scotland but I'm quite happy to attend sevices in any Christian church including the Catholic church. I believe it's the people who are the church, not the building they worship in.

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 6:01:15 AM PST
Acts5v29 says:
Good afternoon,

No longer in any religion, because I prefer to believe what I honestly believe.

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 7:41:49 AM PST
B-Jak says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2013 7:45:23 AM PST
Raulito says:
Acts,

"No longer in any religion, because I prefer to believe what I honestly believe"

No more religious views, only atheism or agnosticism? Hmmm.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2013 7:52:05 AM PST
tokolosi says:
I agree -- they do seem to be the most versatile.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2013 7:54:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 15, 2013 7:55:17 AM PST
tokolosi says:
Actsetc -- "No longer in any religion, because I prefer to believe what I honestly believe."

By this, do you mean you no longer attend any church services? Are you still a part of some "community" of like-minded believers?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2013 7:59:20 AM PST
Acts5v29 says:
Good afternoon,

I no longer attend any church services, nor attached to any religion, but I maintain my own particular beliefs in God and the scriptures. Some other Christians agree, but most do not - but at least I am not under obligation to believe what I do not.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2013 11:11:42 AM PST
Jeff Marzano says:
I had the following message saved which sort of indicates why I'm Catholic.

The Catholic Church is steeped in tradition, symbolism, and even mysticism in some ways with their belief in the mysterious properties of the Eucharist.

The Catholic Church more or less venerates Mary as a goddess. They are correct about this, perhaps without totally realizing why.

The Catholic Church views the saints as their friends up in Heaven who can intervene with God on their behalf. I'm not sure that's a perfect way to view things but yet I sort of like that idea in a way.

But believing in a mythological goddess and friends in the spirit world doesn't appeal to some people I guess.

Jeff Marzano says:

Andrew Bowen says:

[So I ask, what does religion mean to you ?]

Well I'm Catholic myself so that's the religion I'm most familiar with. To be honest I view all other religions with suspicion and mistrust. Some I view as cults.

I feel I've been involved with the Catholic Church in past lives going back many centuries to the Church's very inception.

The Catholic Church is I believe the religion that is most similar to the Essenes. Mary and Joseph were members of or at least associated with the Essenes. The Essenes somehow knew that Christ was going to be born and they helped identify who Christ's mother would be. The Angel Gabriel appeared on a staircase and indicated that Mary would be the mother.

The Essenes in turn were a continuation of the school of prophets established by people like Jeremiah and Samuel.

But what was the school of prophets a continuation of ? Well this will take us back further in time into the realm of mythology, ancient Egypt, and ultimately Atlantis. Mythology is the common thread between all of the world's religions.

That's why Saint Augustine said the following:

"That which is called the Christian religion existed among the ancients, and never did not exist, from the beginning of the human race until Christ came in the flesh, at which time the true religion which already existed began to be called Christianity."

Lives of the Master: The Rest of the Jesus Story [Paperback]
Glenn Sanderfur (Author)

Edgar Cayce's Story of Jesus [Mass Market Paperback]
Edgar Cayce (Author), Jeffrey Furst (Editor)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2013 11:27:03 AM PST
Raulito says:
Acts,

"but I maintain my own particular beliefs in God and the scriptures...."

If you are attached to a Book as the Word of God, then you are attached somewhat to organized religion, as the Bible is part of this organized religion.

Do you agree?

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 2:13:09 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 15, 2013 4:30:38 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 2:16:37 PM PST
OldAmazonian says:
My denomination has not been enumerated. I don't know why.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2013 1:19:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 16, 2013 1:19:49 AM PST
Acts5v29 says:
Good morning Raulito,

No - I love God and I follow the Christ, but not religion. There was only ever one religion ordained by God, and that was the one practiced by the Hebrew nations. The Christian Way which succeeded it is not a religion, and although they link themselves to the Bible, the Bible is greater than them.

My beliefs [www.worshipJehovah.com] are not judgemental, but feel that whoever believes what they honestly believe - whether accurate or not - has a heart which God can approve of.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2013 1:41:12 AM PST
That's very well put Acts5v29. Being a Christian and being religious are two different thing entirely.A Christian is a believer/follower of Christ and his teachings.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2013 6:14:36 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2013 6:20:09 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2013 6:23:22 AM PST
I could if I wanted as I was brought R.C. but generally I don't take it as I believe it's just a reminder of the breaking of the bread and wine at the last supper.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2013 6:31:28 AM PST
Astrocat says:
My "denomination" is Panentheist. Since there don't seem to be any formal churches built around this system, I've had to form my own groups over the years. At the present time we have a Solar Fire/Full Moon meeting once a month, and two other study groups during the month. We study the Ageless Wisdom teachings, meditate and intone certain mantras, invoking the Higher Mind.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2013 7:58:00 AM PST
Kevin Bold says:
You shouldn't take it unless you've been to confession, have received absolutioin, and performed your penance.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2013 8:31:22 AM PST
Dragon, I am a member of Christ's Church built on Peter the rock, (John 1:42), the same Church Authority that determined which of the over 75 letters written, were to be included in the new testament and which were not. Peace always in the Most Precious Blood of Jesus our Great God and Saviour

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2013 12:02:01 PM PST
Raulito says:
Acts,

"I love God and I follow the Christ, but not religion"

The Bible says "..Religion that is pure and undefiled before God and the Father is this; to care for orphans and widows in their affliction and to keep onself unstained by the world.." James 1:27.

I think the NT teachings disagree with you. The NT sees love of neighbor, as taught by Christ, as true religion.

Please read your Bible my dear Acts, the NT presents loving others as Jesus taught as as true religion.

I think you may have been misinformed.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2013 1:29:06 PM PST
Kevin Bold says:
It is very popular these days to make a false dichotomy between "religion" and "spirituality."

The two should go together.

Religion by itself is like a glass with nothing in it to drink.

Spirituality by itself is a wet mess that needs wiped or mopped up.

But when properly united, they're wonderful.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2013 2:34:32 PM PST
Acts5v29 says:
Good evening,

You seem to miscontrue through your deliberate choice of words; "the form of worship" of God does indeed exemplify care for widows and orphans, and love of those around us, but *religion* disagrees with the scriptures. Religion is not that pure expression, but rather it is laced with oppressiveness and presumptuousness, frequently requiring its flocks to accept doctrines under pain of hellfire or damnation. This is neither holy nor loving, but a violation of the same.

My own beliefs do what religion does not; a love of God, and a following of our Lord, with no tacit or explicit judgement of other people for their sincere beliefs, be they Christian or Jew or Muslim or atheist - something which is the antithesis of religion.

However you wish to translate James 1:27, it is not a good idea to use a term such as "religion" rather than "form of worship", knowing that what "religion" practices has a certain reputation. To do so only imputes - through association - fine motives to that which is a distortion of them. "Religion" is what it does, and many will attest that it is quite different - and certainly not so benign - as the qualities of James 1:27

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2013 3:06:22 PM PST
Raulito says:
Acts,

Confirm....the NT teaching says that "Religion that is pure and undefiled before God and the Father is this; to care for orphans and widows in their afflictions and to keep oneself unstained by the world.." James 1:27.

According to the NT, it envisions the love of neighbor as taught by Christ as "pure" religion before God. So, to say that "I love God and I follow Christ, but no religion" is naive if we don't understand what Scripture says.

There's nothing wrong with being wrong with our beliefs sometimes Acts, its ok.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  29
Total posts:  191
Initial post:  Feb 14, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions