Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

I was farwelled with a "have a good thorsday"

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 18, 2012 2:40:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 2:42:07 PM PST
Last night, the cashier at Sam's Club farwelled me with a "have a good thorsday." I realize I live in a high mythological area, but this is the United States of America, not some one mythological area or any other country, like the dutch. Our nation has many mythological dieties and I expect to be greeted in secular language, not in a mythology. If I were in a mythological class, I could understand being greeted in mythology. I felt very disrespected. What is happening to our wonderful country?

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 3:34:55 PM PST
Iatric says:
Why Thorsday on a Monday?!?

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 3:49:42 PM PST
Marilyn says:
Isn't today Tuesday? :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 3:57:29 PM PST
Iatric says:
That's what I'm trying to figure out. I could see someone saying Thorsday on a Thursday, but not on a Monday.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 4:42:33 PM PST
mrs exp says:
Iatric,
Thorsday as in the god Thor's day.
exp

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 4:50:23 PM PST
M. Simonson says:
Some people have all the luck. So far all I got was two "Happy Holidays" from the guys at the big-box stores and one "Merry Christmas" from the Pakistani who owns the cigar shop.

But that's OK, watching a rerun of the "Married With Children" episode where Santa's parachute doesn't open and he lands in the Bundy's backyard always gets me in the mood for a proper solstice celebration.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 4:52:29 PM PST
Marilyn says:
Ohh, thanks for explantation. I learned something new today.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 5:20:13 PM PST
Iatric says:
Yes, I know, I realize that. But according to the Urban Dictionary, that is associated with Thursday, not Monday. Take a look...

"Thor gave his name to the Old English day Þunresdæg, meaning the day of Þunor, known in Modern English as Thursday. Þunor is also the source of the modern word thunder.

"Thor's Day" is Þórsdagr in Old Norse, Doresdak ðorestak in Northern Sami , Tuoresdag in Swedish- and Southern Sami ,Hósdagur in Faroese, except for Suðuroy, where it's called Tórsdagur, Thursday in English, Donnerstag in German (meaning "Thunder's Day"), Donderdag in Dutch (meaning Thunder day), Torstai in Finnish, and Torsdag in Swedish, Danish, and Norwegian."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 5:41:20 PM PST
J. Russell says:
You are just making all this up.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 5:44:59 PM PST
mrs exp says:
Iatric,
Okay I understand your confusion. I was amazed that you didn't think of Thor, but of course you did. It is I who was uninformed.
exp

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 5:50:34 PM PST
M. Simonson says:
Next we will hear that Saturday, the very sabbath ... oh ...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 9:06:29 PM PST
G. J. Stein says:
That same cashier told me to, "have a great sacrificial virgin offering"...?
Talk about being politically correct.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 9:23:52 PM PST
Jay Runner says:
If we make it through the 21st end of the world unscathed, and on the 22nd someone says, "Have a nice Saturnday," I'm going to be cool with that.

Just kidding (:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 10:13:57 PM PST
Astrocat says:
Well, we'd better, because I'm going to see "Lincoln" on the 22nd. I haven't spent all this time reading "Team of Rivals" for nothing.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 10:30:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 10:30:43 PM PST
Why are you putting this thread on the Christianity Forum as well as on the Religion Forum?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 10:37:20 PM PST
Firefly is a copy-cat* with his name and also the thread idea. It is one in a line of similar threads commenced by saitlykitis in April 2011.

* There are currently two Firefly's at large (mainly on the juvenile Gold Box Forum) and the O.P. here is an imposter, causing annoyance on the GBF).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:39:09 AM PST
Iatric says:
No problem. My point, that I was attempting to get around to had the OPer ever come back, was that something doesn't sound right. Possibly either the story never happened, or was copied/pasted from another thread in another forum rendering the "last night" as being false. Or possibly the clerk was just having some fun or didn't really know about Thorsday. Given the other thread where the OPer complained about someone wishing him a Happy Winter Solstice, I thought it was possible the story never happened regarding Thorsday. Either way, it seems very odd for someone to get that bothered by people saying something in country where we respect their religious choices and free speech.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:36:10 AM PST
Lao Tzu says:
Firefly, the proper response is "Odin keep you." A norse is a norse of course, of course.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:04:44 AM PST
Jay Runner says:
I'm chuckling and that old "Mr. Ed" tv show theme song is playing in my head (:
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Dec 18, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions