Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

Every Evangelical/Mormon Argument Goes Something Like This . . .

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 1, 2012 11:47:28 AM PDT
Sean B says:
I found this very interesting and thought others may benefit as well:

Every Evangelical/Mormon Argument Goes Something Like This . . .

October 31, 2012

Patheos

Evangelical: How can you support a Mormon for President? Mormons don't believe in Jesus and even believe [insert craziest imaginable straw man argument here].
Mormon: I most certainly do believe in Jesus, and I've never even heard of [insane straw man].
Evangelical: Your church also teaches [insert something about planets and Battlestar Galactica].
Mormon: I've been LDS my whole life and have never heard that.
Evangelical: *Frantically googling*
Mormon: *Blood pressure rising*
Evangelical: *Brings up Google results* Didn't Hiram Jebediah Jones, the Ninth Elder of the Quorum in the Council of Provo declare in 1899: "And lo! We shall ride unicorns of deception amongst the people until they believeth we are not cultists."
Mormon: ???

And then the debate devolves into a comment war that collectively lowers the IQ of the Internet - driving desperate readers to kitten pictures for solace. Enough! In future posts dealing with Mormons, Evangelicals, and Theology, I should post the following principles for discussing religious differences:

1. Never assume you know anyone else's beliefs. Yes, yes I know you earned a graduate degree in comparative religions and did your Master's Thesis in "Christ Imagery in Early Mormon Hymns," but that doesn't mean you know what your counterpart believes or has been taught. In fact, your counterpart may actually disagree with this or that point of church teaching.

2. Don't presume to dictate who is or is not a member of good standing of their own faith. My favorite retort to Mormons who don't conform to stereotype is, "Well, if you believe that, then you're not really a Mormon." Last time I checked, the LDS church determined who was or was not a member in good standing of their church, while my elders did the same for my own church.

3. Let your counterpart describe their own beliefs. This point flows naturally from the points above. If I am going to disagree with someone, I prefer to disagree with the best expression of the opposing view.

4. Let your counterpart describe their own disagreements with your faith. It's been interesting for me to hear LDS friends describe in their own words their disagreements with Christian orthodoxy. Often, I think they misunderstand my own beliefs almost as much as I have often misunderstood theirs.

5. Don't Google obscure, inflammatory quotes. There are few things more unproductive than slamming a debating opponent with obscure, often out-of-context quotes by historical figures or church leaders. I'm a Calvinist Christian, but that doesn't mean that I have all John Calvin's writings on instant mental recall, know the context of all quotes thrown in my face, or even agree with everything he said and did. I am seeking to understand an overall world view, not to defend the particulars of any man's biography or the totality of all their words and actions. For example, you're not convincing a Christian that he shouldn't read Psalms if you say, "Wasn't David an adulterer?"

6. Recognize that God is in control. This is the Reformed Christian in me, but it is of immense comfort to know that no man is going to Hell because I wasn't eloquent enough. I have a duty to do my best to advance the Gospel, but I'm a fallen, broken person, and my words will never be adequate or sufficient to convict the human heart of sin. A man's eternal destiny is simply not up to me.

I endeavor to have a answer for the hope that is within me. But until that day, I suppose I can follow the spirit of the Internet and stubbornly mischaracterize other people's beliefs.

In fact, that just might be easier.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/frenchrevolution/2012/10/31/every-evangelicalmormon-argument-goes-something-like-this/

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 11:55:03 AM PDT
You know what I have not had in a long time, Big League Chew.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 11:57:52 AM PDT
John M. Lane says:
I'm an evangelical Christian and I'd crawl over broken glass to vote for Romney. He was one qualification which simply cannot be ignored. He's not Obama.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 12:16:33 PM PDT
The easiest thing to do is simply say "I do not believe Joseph Smith was a prophet and therefore am not interested in investigating anything he wrote."

I think millions of mormons stay in the LDS church because they are terrified of being shunned or avoided by family or friends.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 12:18:01 PM PDT
"I'd crawl over broken glass"

I'd pay to see that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 12:26:38 PM PDT
Sean B says:
Mr critic, Actually I stay in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints because it is a tremendous blessing to me and my family.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 12:28:09 PM PDT
Sean B says:
John, remember, Virgil Goode is even FURTHER form Obama, which wasn't too difficult...

http://www.goodeforpresident2012.com/the-issues.html

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 8:20:07 PM PDT
I'm an evangelical Christian and I'd crawl over broken glass to vote for Romney. He was one qualification which simply cannot be ignored. He's not Obama.
========
You made my day. ;-)

Brother Niv

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 8:22:52 PM PDT
mr. critic's post:
The easiest thing to do is simply say "I do not believe Joseph Smith was a prophet and therefore am not interested in investigating anything he wrote."
==============================
Do you see any different from the above with: "I do not believe Moses was a prophet and therefore am not interested in investigating anything he wrote."

;-)

Brother Niv

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 8:57:47 PM PDT
and rcc too
maybe other churches in small areas where you have to belong to be able to work

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 9:08:40 PM PDT
Eric Pyle says:
<<He was one qualification which simply cannot be ignored. He's not Obama.>>

So far that's the only reason I've seen people give for voting for Romney.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 9:09:31 PM PDT
that is the only reason there is

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 4:26:31 AM PST
Brian Curtis says:
Exactly. All the people wringing their hands and worrying what "a Mormon president" would mean are hypocrites--they were always going to vote for the Republican candidate no matter what, and they don't much care who he is or what he stands for.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 8:52:17 AM PST
Iatric says:
Given that most all the evangelicals I know are voting for Romney and have no problem with voting for a Mormon, your OP seems to be the minority of cases and certainly not the "every" you so mistakenly imply. Try again?

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 8:55:17 AM PST
emac says:
The Christian Right will, again, eschew Mormons on Wednesday --- whether Mitt wins or loses.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 9:30:41 AM PST
emac lives! interest returns to these forums

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:49:07 AM PST
emac says:
I have been over on the political forum. It will be nice to return more after wednesday. haha
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Nov 1, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions