Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

Violence In America: God the answer or the problem?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 170 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2013 11:32:15 AM PST
mrs exp says:
AxxGrrl,
Yes, I'm aware of this kind of response to tragedy and I think it is horrible. I am appalled when I hear this kind of response.
exp

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2013 12:43:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 10, 2013 12:48:11 AM PST
AxeGrrl says:
mrs exp wrote: "But to say that God caused the Newton killings is just wrong."
~~~~

Well, Dobson's not alone, there's Pat Robertson and John Hagee........I still find it hard to believe that you're completely unaware of this kind of response-to-tragedy from these high-profile Christians lately. Whether it's Newton or Katrina, they've certainly received media attention as a result of their despicable rhetoric.

(edited/removed question here, because I misunderstood mrs exp's comment initially)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2013 12:22:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2013 6:01:57 PM PST
RKG says:
well if there aren't more guns in the south, then what? people are more violent in the south?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2013 7:18:09 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 7, 2013 7:29:52 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2013 6:20:53 AM PST
QUESTER says:
JJB says:
perhaps there is a correlation perhaps there isn't one:

per pew research- the south is the most relgious
per the fbi- the area in which the most violent crimes occur is in the south
per the census - the south is not the most heavily populated
------------------------------------------------------------------
I wonder ... if there are MORE GUNS in the South ?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2013 4:56:13 AM PST
RKG says:
perhaps there is a correlation perhaps there isn't one:

per pew research- the south is the most relgious
per the fbi- the area in which the most violent crimes occur is in the south
per the census - the south is not the most heavily populated

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2013 8:18:06 PM PST
mrs exp says:
Sophie Amrain,
Well of course I disagree with you that God is in my head. God lives in heaven.
exp

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2013 8:16:58 PM PST
mrs exp says:
Sophie Amrain,
God did not kill anyone in the recent tsunami. That was a natural disaster.
exp

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2013 8:14:12 PM PST
"And oddly enough the highest murder rates are found in those areas of the country that are most religious. As an example, in both church attendance and murders - the south reigns supreme.

Could it be argued that based on this evidence and more..."

I recall seeing evidence showing a correlation between population density and murders. I have not seen the evidence for this South-murder correlation you claim.

Posted on Feb 6, 2013 1:22:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 6, 2013 1:23:26 PM PST
RKG says:
ok, if you posit america was not founded on religious principles, and that it its heart is violent conquest, then i would tend to agree with you.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2013 10:17:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 6, 2013 10:18:32 AM PST
QUESTER says:
America really isn't a country founded on religious principles.

The original European settlers came to America fleeing religious persecution, ... but that visitation to America soon turned into a violent conquest.

America was seen as a haven for the persecuted for some, but as source of unbridled wealth and expansion for many many others.

Unfortunately, the core concept of America's establishment, as demonstrated (though maybe not spoken) ... is violent conquest.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2013 10:06:46 AM PST
RKG says:
if america is supposed to be a land founded on religious principles - aren't, do others no harm, turn the other cheek, live in peace with all men core concepts of religion? shouldn't these core concepts then ameliorate the melting pot, constitution ordained... violent conquest...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2013 9:47:23 AM PST
QUESTER says:
JJB says:

In other developed countries where God plays no official role in public life, violence and violence perpetrated by firearms not nearly as prevalent in those states as is violence here in America.

The USA is one of the most religious nations in the world, yet with the highest murder rate by far. And oddly enough the highest murder rates are found in those areas of the country that are most religious. As an example, in both church attendance and murders - the south reigns supreme.

Could it be argued that based on this evidence and more, that there is a correlation that God is the problem and not the absence of God?

Or perhaps it is more accurate to state that it is the way that God has been packaged and has been presented in this land of ours ... that is part of the problem ...

Which is it? What say you?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't particularly see that violence in America can be linked to our religiosity.

There are too many other factors which have a undeniable correlation ...

1) America is large, and has, as a basis of it's society, a high value on the rights of its citizens to do as they please, without a lot of regulation from the government. America also has erected a high bar for determining individual criminality, with the result that many who trheaten our peace are loose on the streets of America.

2) We do have a Constitutionally ordained right to own and carry firearms. Most of the less violent societies you mentioned don't have this particular challenge (whether for good or ill) to deal with.

3) America is a melting pot (or mixed salad) of cultures ... and opportunity. It is very easy for people in America to separate into their various people-groups, and as we know, ... family feuds are a prevelant source for violence.

4) America is still in a process of pulling out of a ethos of violent conquest. We would rather forget that America is a land conquered by Europe, and still suffers from the violence and subsequent, resentments of its past violence.

I see these things as having a much more significant influence on American violence than religion.

Posted on Feb 6, 2013 9:17:06 AM PST
RKG says:
And in more killing news

America's number 1 sniper and his friend were killed at a shooting range by an ex military individual suffering from ptsd who was weilding a saw... or was it a hammer...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 6:50:56 PM PST
MLB:even in Rwanda where God is surpressed by the ones who lord over those who hope to worship Him

SA: Rwanda is a Christian nation.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 6:50:13 PM PST
exp:God would not kill innocent children for the sins of other people.

Sophie: Your God doesn't. Other people's Gods might. As these Gods live only in the heads of their believers, they can have very different characters.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 6:47:29 PM PST
Here For The Music says: I guarantee that neither you nor anyone else understands how God sees things.

Sophie: It *is* hard to understand the thoughts of an non-existent being.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 6:41:47 PM PST
exp:So no he would kill the righteous with the unrighteous.

SA: All the 500 000 victims of the recent tsunami were unrighteous? Including the small kids?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 6:39:49 PM PST
JJB:when Christians in America are more supportive of weapons, war and torture than unbelievers, something has gone wrong - terribly wrong.

SA: Well, if your God is cruel, it is easy to slip in your own ethical standards.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 4:22:03 PM PST
RKG says:
you are talking crap. may i suggest you return to propping up your idols.
hmmmm ... come to think of it, you don't do a good job there either.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 10:00:52 AM PST
mrs exp says:
Here For the Music,
It is not about knowing about God's attributes or his essence. It is about knowing God. The Bible is the place to find out about God and how to know him. But to know him is to have a prayer life with him. You pray and he answers via the Bible or in other ways.
exp

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 9:58:15 AM PST
mrs exp says:
StevePL,
I really don't know as I have never heard a broadcast of Focus on the Family.
exp

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 8:40:01 PM PST
Jesus4us says:
Here For The Music says:
Certain things can be known about God's attributes, but God's essence is unknowable to anyone except God.

spl: That's a big thing Christ came for, to make it possible for us to have a relationship with God. Christians come to know God, what He thinks, how he deals with things, etc. Just like you would get to know a friend you can get to know God. And just like you would know what a friend would do in a certain situation after knowing him for a long time, know his mind per se, you can get to know the mind of God.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 8:17:12 PM PST
Certain things can be known about God's attributes, but God's essence is unknowable to anyone except God.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 8:05:17 PM PST
Jesus4us says:
Here For The Music says:
One would have to be God to understand how God sees things. Are you claiming to be God?

spl: That's what the Bible is all about, knowing God.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  170
Initial post:  Dec 27, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 10, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions