Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

Is Christopher Hitchens in heaven?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2013 6:06:27 PM PDT
Bohemian Man says:
Gee wiz Greg,

I guess none of us have ever heard or knew anything about that. Are you expecting us now to fall on our kness and repent?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 7:00:25 PM PST
Bohemian Man says:
Andromeda,

come on. You must have an opinion.

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 6:26:56 PM PST
ElenaOSH says:
Since I am not God, I do not know what Hitchens'-- or anyone else's-- final judgment will be.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 5:03:52 AM PST
Bohemian Man says:
lol

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 2:19:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 17, 2013 2:21:50 PM PST
Spinoza says:
Brian Curtis says:

I never knew that preaching to oneself on a bookstore forum was a "calling," but I guess God's callings are a bit more mundane these days.....

Spinoza says:

It's the latest form of "standing on a soapbox in the middle of the street and harassing passersby."

Another example of the intrusion of religion in the secular, public sphere. If you went to Greg's church and wanted to talk to the congregation about atheism, what do you think the response would be?

The Forum Preacher. Can ah git an A-MEN?!! :-))

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 5:23:34 AM PST
Brian Curtis says:
I never knew that preaching to oneself on a bookstore forum was a "calling," but I guess God's callings are a bit more mundane these days.....

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 5:48:36 PM PST
Spinoza says:
What does any of this have to do with Christopher Hitchens? Please go evangelize somewhere else.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 12:00:17 AM PST
Greg says:
God's Simple Plan of Salvation

My Friend: I am asking you the most important question of life. Your joy or your sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good you are, nor if you are a church member, but are you saved? Are you sure you will go to Heaven when you die?

God says in order to go to Heaven, you must be born again. In John 3:7, Jesus said to Nicodemus, "Ye must be born again."

In the Bible God gives us the plan of how to be born again which means to be saved. His plan is simple! You can be saved today. How?

First, my friend, you must realize you are a sinner. "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23).

Because you are a sinner, you are condemned to death. "For the wages [payment] of sin is death" (Romans 6:23). This includes eternal separation from God in Hell.

" . . . it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment" (Hebrews 9:27).

But God loved you so much He gave His only begotten Son, Jesus, to bear your sin and die in your place. " . . . He hath made Him [Jesus, Who knew no sin] to be sin for us . . . that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him" (2 Corinthians 5:21).

Jesus had to shed His blood and die. "For the life of the flesh is in the blood" (Lev. 17:11). " . . . without shedding of blood is no remission [pardon]" (Hebrews 9:22).

" . . . God commendeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8).

Although we cannot understand how, God said my sins and your sins were laid upon Jesus and He died in our place. He became our substitute. It is true. God cannot lie.

My friend, "God . . . commandeth all men everywhere to repent" (Acts 17:30). This repentance is a change of mind that agrees with God that one is a sinner, and also agrees with what Jesus did for us on the Cross.

In Acts 16:30-31, the Philippian jailer asked Paul and Silas: " . . . `Sirs, what must I do to be saved?' And they said, `Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved . . . .' "

Simply believe on Him as the one who bore your sin, died in your place, was buried, and whom God resurrected. His resurrection powerfully assures that the believer can claim everlasting life when Jesus is received as Savior.

"But as many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name" (John 1:12).

"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Romans 10:13).

Whosoever includes you. Shall be saved means not maybe, nor can, but shall be saved.

Surely, you realize you are a sinner. Right now, wherever you are, repenting, lift your heart to God in prayer.

In Luke 18:13, the sinner prayed: "God be merciful to me a sinner." Just pray: "Oh God, I know I am a sinner. I believe Jesus was my substitute when He died on the Cross. I believe His shed blood, death, burial, and resurrection were for me. I now receive Him as my Savior. I thank You for the forgiveness of my sins, the gift of salvation and everlasting life, because of Your merciful grace. Amen."

Just take God at His word and claim His salvation by faith. Believe, and you will be saved. No church, no lodge, no good works can save you. Remember, God does the saving. All of it!

God's simple plan of salvation is: You are a sinner. Therefore, unless you believe on Jesus Who died in your place, you will spend eternity in Hell. If you believe on Him as your crucified, buried, and risen Savior, you receive forgiveness for all of your sins and His gift of eternal salvation by faith.

You say, "Surely, it cannot be that simple." Yes, that simple! It is scriptural. It is God's plan. My friend, believe on Jesus and receive Him as Savior today.

If His plan is not perfectly clear, read this tract over and over, without laying it down, until you understand it. Your soul is worth more than all the world.

"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul?" (Mark 8:36).

Be sure you are saved. If you lose your soul, you miss Heaven and lose all. Please! Let God save you this very moment.

God's power will save you, keep you saved, and enable you to live a victorious Christian life. "There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, Who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it" (1 Corinthians 10:13).

Do not trust your feelings. They change. Stand on God's promises. They never change. After you are saved, there are three things to practice daily for spiritual growth:

*Pray -- you talk to God.
*Read your Bible -- God talks to you.
*Witness -- you talk for God.

You should be baptized in obedience to the Lord Jesus Christ as a public testimony of your salvation, and then unite with a Bible-believing church without delay. "Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord . . . ." (2 Timothy 1:8)

"Whosoever therefore shall confess [testify of] Me before men, him will I confess also before My Father which is in heaven" (Matthew 10:32

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 11:57:58 PM PST
Greg says:
STEVEPL..i am Russian where atheism start it and I know better.and GOD SAID.God is all-wise, infinitely wise:

5 "Behold, God is mighty but does not despise [any;] [He is] mighty in strength of understanding" (Job 36:5).

5 Great is our Lord, and abundant in strength; His understanding is infinite (Psalms 147:5).

God's wisdom is vastly superior to human wisdom:

8 "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways," declares the LORD. 9 "For [as] the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts" (Isaiah 55:8-9; see also Job 28:12-28; Jeremiah 51:15-17).

God alone is wise

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 11:53:38 PM PST
Greg says:
stevepl.who created you?? from a spit?? that's what happens when you do not have GOD'S WISDOM you say dumb things about GOD.I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End," says the Lord, "who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty."

"I am He who lives and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen. And I have the keys of Hade and of Death.

"Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love."

"He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. He who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second death."

"Repent, or else I will come to you quickly and will fight against them with the sword of My mouth.

"I will kill her children with death, and all the churches shall know that I am He who searches the minds and hearts. And I will give to each one of you according to your works."

"And he who overcomes, and keeps My works until the end, to him I will give power over the nations."

"And I will give him the morning star."

"He who has an ear let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches."

"Remember therefore how you have received and heard; hold fast and repent. Therefore if you will not watch, I will come upon you as a thief, and you will not know what hour I will come upon you."

"He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life; but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels."

"He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches."

"I know your works, See, I have set before you an open door, and no one can shut it; for you have a little strength, have kept My word, and have not denied My name."

"Because you have kept My command to persevere, I also will keep you from the hour of trial which shall come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth."

"Behold, I am coming quickly! Hold fast what you have, that no one may take your crown."

"He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God and he shall go out no more. I will write on him the name of My God and the name of the city of My God, the New Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God. And I will write on him My new name."

"I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot.

"So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 11:48:29 PM PST
Greg says:
STEVEPL.AND GOD SAID.

Proverbs 1:7 ESV / 100 helpful votes

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Helpful Not Helpful

Proverbs 18:6 ESV / 86 helpful votes

A fool's lips walk into a fight, and his mouth invites a beating.

Helpful Not Helpful

Matthew 5:22 ESV / 67 helpful votes

But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, `You fool!' will be liable to the hell of fire.

Helpful Not Helpful

Proverbs 29:9 ESV / 66 helpful votes

If a wise man has an argument with a fool, the fool only rages and laughs, and there

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 12:00:02 PM PST
Noah comes out in 2014. Russell Crowe is playing him. Looks like there will be nephilim in that rendition. Maybe someone can roll with the concept of an epic get those fringe spiritual powers and principaities angles into the mainstream via Hollywood and make a buck at the same time.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 11:47:39 AM PST
No, it isn't. There are no serious claims and no evidence that Gandalf the Wizard was a real person in human history.

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 2:09:54 PM PST
Hes hunting vampires with Abe.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 2:48:03 PM PST
Bohemian Man says:
StevePL,

I'm still here, but it IS getting cold.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:56:41 PM PST
Jesus4us says:
Oh yeah!

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:36:30 PM PST
dragonfly says:
Thanks Steve. Anyway, I do know what you mean.
I think were all that's left. The place is so empty
I can hear an echo. Should we just let it go?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 12:53:49 PM PST
Jesus4us says:
dragonfly says:
Consider this; The religious believing their prophets decide to
have the final battle, Armageddon. Thinking that god will come
and give them victory nothing can stop them. They drag the
rest of the civilized world into the conflict. Time passes but
god hasn't returned. The battles continues until all are nearly
killed. Still god hasn't shown himself. Then it dawns on them
that he's not going to. Why?, because there is no god and
there never was. The world will enter a new dark age.
It will take many centuries to recover if ever. I hope this
makes you think and realize we are responsible for our own
future and that this is planet is our only home!

spl: Good advice for nonbelievers! For believers, not so much. :(

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 8:35:02 PM PST
dragonfly says:
Consider this; The religious believing their prophets decide to
have the final battle, Armageddon. Thinking that god will come
and give them victory nothing can stop them. They drag the
rest of the civilized world into the conflict. Time passes but
god hasn't returned. The battles continues until all are nearly
killed. Still god hasn't shown himself. Then it dawns on them
that he's not going to. Why?, because there is no god and
there never was. The world will enter a new dark age.
It will take many centuries to recover if ever. I hope this
makes you think and realize we are responsible for our own
future and that this is planet is our only home!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:16:45 AM PST
Brian Curtis says:
I don't claim people who see UFOs are insane, Steve; in most cases, they're simply (and sincerely) wrong, that's all.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:09:01 PM PST
RR says:
JPL,
"Nobody is, nor will they ever be."

But lots of people went to the Nirvana concerts.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 5:46:26 PM PST
jpl says:
Is Christopher Hitchens in heaven?

jpl: Nobody is, nor will they ever be.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 4:13:17 PM PST
dragonfly says:
I tip my hat to Lau Tzu if I wore a hat. That was truly the best response yet.
To bad it was lost on H101 but it's there for anyone else.
Steve PL is gracious in his earlier post too.
However, though I agree there is more to reality I disagree that
a god has restricted our view to the physical. We are restricted by being
human. The knowledge we have gained is from centuries of free thinking
people who could imagine beyond the mundane necessities of life.
It has been slow progress even now but will continue as long as we
survive. If we survive.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:07:41 PM PST
Jesus4us says:
I've often wondered that, and that is why I've always took on atheist's questions and accusations. But after ten years of it I wonder about the benefits.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:05:00 PM PST
Jesus4us says:
He is smart with what he has to work with, an incomplete view of reality.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 325 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1052 7 days ago
What do "born agains" actually believe about Jesus? I am confused. Want to discuss. 8629 3 minutes ago
Yes, There Are Women Priests, and The Vatican Wishes There Weren't 112 6 minutes ago
If the early church adopted pagan things... 184 6 minutes ago
Catholic-Protestant Discussion Part XXXV 6418 16 minutes ago
Jesus never "died for our sins" 1661 1 hour ago
My Mob's pub and coffee shop. Part the Eleventh 7542 1 hour ago
Dispensations and the Gospels, Part Two 7120 1 hour ago
Part 2- the Newer Thread 9959 1 hour ago
Jesus' wife?-nope it's a forgery 148 1 hour ago
"If we are lovers of the light we adore it in whatever lamp it may become manifest" 2350 2 hours ago
moment-of-broken-ness, part 2 9593 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  128
Total posts:  8125
Initial post:  Aug 7, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions