Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

As long as I believe in Jesus...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 40 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 3, 2012 7:23:51 AM PST
I'm going to heaven.

Is this what most Christians think? If I speak aloud to everyone that I believe in Jesus as the son of God, then when I die, I'm definitely going to heaven?

Isn't that basically putting the decision of who is going to heaven in the power of humans and not God?

I thought the decision was up to God.

Can someone clear this up for me?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 8:21:29 AM PST
JosephusD says:
"If you confess with your mouth, "Jesus Christ is Lord," and if you believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved." Romans 10:9

The trouble is the Jesus Christ is Lord part. If Jesus Christ is truly Lord, you will follow His instruction ("keep my commandments"). Just in the Sermon on the Mount (which may or may not have been a single teaching session), Jesus provides no less than 24 instructions on how His follower will conduct life. Let your light shine before men, be reconciled to your brother, let your "yes" be "yes" and your "no" be "no," turn the other cheek, give to the one who asks you, give to the needy, pray, fast, love your enemies, and so on.

"Not everyone who says to me "Lord, Lord" will enter the kingdom of heaven; but those who have done the will of my Father who is in heaven." Matthew 7:21

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 8:38:13 AM PST
So if I follow those 24 commands throughout my life after professing my belief in Jesus, I'm guaranteed a spot in heaven then?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 8:45:02 AM PST
JosephusD says:
I point out only the instructions given in this passage known as "The Sermon on the Mount." Jesus gave dozens more instructions throughout His teachings.

However, to your point...You're professing the belief that God raised Jesus from the dead. You are confessing with your mouth (i.e. to the world) that Jesus Christ is Lord...that His commands are your instructions, and that you freely and willingly submit to Him, and to His instruction.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 8:50:57 AM PST
A Customer says:
That's not what Catholics think. Jesus simply opened the door to heaven, but we all have to work out of own salvation to get there. You can believe in him and still throw it all away by dying without grace in your soul, which is removed by mortal sin.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 9:56:18 AM PST
I don't understand though. John3:16 says that whoever believes in Jesus will surely live forever. Doesn't that leave it up to me then?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 10:18:53 AM PST
A series of questions need to be answered, it seems to me, before we can find out what "believing in Jesus" specifically means.

DKK -- I thought the decision was up to God.

That's Calvinism. That's not what the Bible says. Although, I have to candidly admit, it REALLY can LOOK like that. But if the Bible says that God is NOT willing that ANY should perish, but all come to repentance, that seems to indicate that God WANTS to save everyone. Does that make sense?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 10:22:44 AM PST
My real question is, how does one know if they are saved or not? Can you spend your whole life thinking your believe in Jesus, only to die and end up before the wide gate to hell?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 10:33:00 AM PST
are you an atheist trouble maker or are you serious ?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 10:33:27 AM PST
are you an atheist troll or are you serious

what 24 commands ????????????????

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 10:37:57 AM PST
JosephusD says:
Referring to the 24+ statements that Jesus made in the Sermon on the Mount, which I offered as a good place to start in learning how to live with Jesus as Lord.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 10:43:50 AM PST
DKK -- My real question is, how does one know if they are saved or not?

Saved from what?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 10:45:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 10:54:34 AM PST
It's not what you believe but what you do that leads to spiritual growth. Heaven is not a place but a state of being that one grows into as a result of positive thoughts converted into beneficial actions.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 10:46:33 AM PST
you cant cherry pick one verse and get anything reliable

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 10:47:04 AM PST
it is up to God
but He said taht Jesus was the way to Him and that was sufficient

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 10:48:47 AM PST
yes

faith without works is dead
you can pretend to believe without really believing
believing means doing the two commandments He gave us
still dont know where you got 24 from

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 10:49:19 AM PST
nice but not necesssary

Christ gave us TWO commands
do them and you got the rest covered

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:01:17 AM PST
That's a good question. I hear Christians use the term "saved" constantly. I was assuming saved from going to hell by believing in Jesus.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:03:42 AM PST
If you start to act civil, I might take you off of my ignore list.
Try reading the second post in this thread to find out where the 24 commands came from.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:15:00 AM PST
nutz

fujak

atheist troll !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:20:26 AM PST
Me -- Saved from what?
DKK -- That's a good question. I hear Christians use the term "saved" constantly. I was assuming saved from going to hell by believing in Jesus.

So, why would anyone need to be saved from hell?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:24:06 AM PST
It's not a nice place to be, I'd assume.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 11:28:40 AM PST
Assurance of salvation is not complicated: Do you confess to being a sinner? Do you ask forgiveness in Jesus Christ's name? Do you ask for His help to develop more fruit of the Holy Spirit: love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith? Do you ask Christ to help you forgive others for their offenses against you quickly and completely?

The people to whom Jesus says "depart from Me, I never knew you" will have made some very stubborn decision that they could avoid doing those things in private and wear a cloak of righteousness that was all surface and for appearance sake.

There is an excellent book by J. Vernon McGee called "Doctrine For Difficult Days" that has a whole chapter about this.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:33:02 AM PST
"will have made some very stubborn decision"

So to what degree is very stubborn measured?

Some folks I know that attend church every Sunday and claim to be believers openly talk about how they simply believe in Jesus, and it doesn't matter what else they do in life because they know they are going to heaven.

Is this correct?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:40:40 AM PST
celticgreen says:
It is God's plan but it is your decision. You exercise your free will. To get to heaven you need three things. First, we need to have our sins removed. God will not live with sin. So to correct this problem and because of His love for us, God the Father sent God the Son to pay the price. Hebrews 10:10 "By this will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all." Second, to live with God you need to have to same righteousness that God has, that is, perfect righteousness. No amount you good works that you do will get you there. So God provides to you as a free gift if you believe Jesus Christ paid the price for your sins. Philippians 3:9 "and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith." Next, we need to have the same kind of life that God has, eternal life. We get all of this through faith, not works. John 3:16 "For God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely born Son that anyone who believes in Him has eternal life." Ephesians 2:8,9 "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast."

Hope this helps
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1052 4 days ago
What do "born agains" actually believe about Jesus? I am confused. Want to discuss. 8256 36 seconds ago
Yes, There Are Women Priests, and The Vatican Wishes There Weren't 96 2 minutes ago
My Mob's pub and coffee shop. Part the Eleventh 7222 2 minutes ago
The Christ Myth: is it possible Jesus never existed? 532 9 minutes ago
Christ's broken promises 476 10 minutes ago
Last Day Biblical Prophecy is in the process of being fulfilled, the stage is being set, are you ready? 9999 13 minutes ago
Catholic-Protestant Discussion Part XXXV 5899 23 minutes ago
Outside of the your feelings, do any of you fundamentalist atheists have personal that atheism is true? 93 28 minutes ago
Part 2- the Newer Thread 9922 1 hour ago
Catholicism is based on Jesus Christ - Part 11 178 2 hours ago
Harvard University test results show that homosexuality is indeed caused by parental neglect --that is from Harvard mind you! 2978 4 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  40
Initial post:  Dec 3, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 8, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions