Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

Will Obama's victory weaken the Religious Right?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 345 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 7, 2012 9:58:09 AM PST
Anne Rice says:
I certainly hope Obama's victory does lead to a weakening of the Religious Right.
Millions of believers have been saddened and shocked by the degree to which Christians became politicized in the last few years, with wholesale persecution of American gays, and assaults on the rights of American women.
I think many Christians and Catholics look forward to seeing the Religious Right back off, and stop trying to politicize religion.

Let's hope we can respect one another's differences, and stop some of the language of extremism.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:03:29 AM PST
DocMMV says:
It probably will, although it shouldn't.
The problem with the "Religious Right" as I see it, is that they are made up of pansy Christians. When the devil shows his horns, they run and hide. As soon as the "Religious Right" is willing to stand toe-to-toe with te devil in combat, then they will be worthy of respect.
On the flip side, the "Religious Left" is useless salt, good only for spreading on the road.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:07:57 AM PST
Anne Rice says:
I find that rather harsh.
I think the liberal and progressive Christians and Catholics
in this country may be the ones advancing Christianity for all.

I don't believe in a personal Devil,
and I don't think the American political arena is a place to
be talking about "the Devil."

I respect our two party system, and I respect reasonable debate
between Democrats and Republicans.
Characterizing one side as having to do with the Devil is
for me superstitious and destructive for us as Americans,
and for us as believers.

We need to move away from extremist rhetoric, and seek to
change hearts and minds on issues in a respectful manner.

I would say the harshness and extremism of the Christian Right
has turned people off to Christian arguments and disgusted them
with Christians.

This is sad.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:14:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 10:21:44 AM PST
Why are you saying the religious left is useless?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:18:18 AM PST
Anne Rice says:
Good question.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:24:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 10:25:54 AM PST
menetta olan says:
Are any of you guys Christians? Do you know or have any kind of personal relationship with God? If ya did your responses would be knowingly different. Ignorance is not bliss. Neither is tolerance. How about our founding fathers of our nation do you even know about what principles this country was built upon?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:31:22 AM PST
I have a very personal relationship with God. Knowing God is an awesome experience.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:32:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 10:33:29 AM PST
Rev. Otter says:
<<Are any of you guys Christians?>>

yes.

<<Do you know or have any kind of personal relationship with God?>>

sure.

<<If ya did your responses would be knowingly different.>>

why?

<<Ignorance is not bliss.>>

well, perhaps you should stop embracing it.

<<Neither is tolerance.>>

judge not lest we be judged.

<<How about our founding fathers of our nation do you even know about what principles this country was built upon?>>

one of the main principles they built upon was freedom of conscience. read up on it sometime. :)

http://www.freedomforum.org/packages/first/curricula/educationforfreedom/supportpages/L09-FreedomofConscience.htm

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:33:45 AM PST
menetta olan says:
Glad to hear it! I started to feel a little alone out there as I read through these forum discussions. Are they scary to you too? So many, so lost, so clueless, and so very very angry towards faith.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:34:10 AM PST
TheWindMoves says:
menetta olan says: How about our founding fathers of our nation do you even know about what principles this country was built upon?

Yes. And yesterday was a testimony to those principles. Freedom of choice, freedom to worship as one's conscience dictates, and all men are created equal.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:44:03 AM PST
menetta olan says:
I'm ready to be judged. And I am a human being that's why I am a hypocrite as we all are my Reverend friend. That statement is not judgemental it is persuasive. And insulting your fellow brother and sister isn't a good crevice to fall down into either now is it?

Our founding fathers based freedom underneath the already present and practicing belief in God. Freedom of Conscience? that sounds way too progressive for me. . . Isn't it your conscience that guides you from right and wrong? Maybe I'm not intellectual enough to chat with all of you. I mistakenly have fallen into some battle of wits between a few who have something real to say and a few who need something to make them feel real. This country has changed considerably and I am soooo saddened to have even read some of these posts.
Excuse me and I'll get back to that thing called doing what God would want me to do. May God slap us all upside the head with what we all deserve so that we may follow the path of his will.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:45:30 AM PST
menetta: "I started to feel a little alone out there as I read through these forum discussions. Are they scary to you too? So many, so lost, so clueless, and so very very angry towards faith."

I have no problems with atheists. The problem I have is with those who think they have all of the spiritual answers in our world. I respect all paths, atheists and all. I get very uncomfortable when people begin thinking there is only their way when I know that each of us has a different path just like we come into the world with a different body and mind. I do have a great relationship with God in that I have learned to know he/she/it. I am still learning to listen to his/her/its commands, but, my guess, is that is a lifetime project.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:48:26 AM PST
Our founding fathers were creatures of the Enlightenment. Some were deists, some were not believers, and some were Christian. Remember, the Jefferson Bible? I think that you can still buy it. From those immense minds affected by the Enlightenment, we have religious freedom. There are those who want to take away our religious freedom.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:52:14 AM PST
menetta olan says:
Again . . . freedom to worship under the already existing platform in the belief of God and our Lord and Savior. I never said men weren't all equal but okay yeah they are . . and women are all equal, and children are equal to children. . . . bla bla bla. Yesterday was a testimony alright but not on principles. Do you think the Ambassador and the others from Benghazi felt that the best principled individual is the one who won the election? It's called lying . . . lying to cover yourself, lying to promote your agenda, lying to go along with the mainstream. Sad . . . Hardly anyone even knows the truth about those in the limelight but yet everyone will sure defend them anyway. God forbid you speak the truth then you are called "old fashioned" or "intolerant"I have seen more racism, hate, and deceit in the last four years then I have seen over decades. I really wish people would open their eyes, ears, and hearts, to truth and come clean, come right, become pure beings.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:52:47 AM PST
Rev. Otter says:
<<Freedom of Conscience? that sounds way too progressive for me. . .>>

so you actually DISAGREE with the founding fathers' principles, while pretending to embrace them?

okay then. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:54:21 AM PST
Rev. Otter says:
<<I really wish people would open their eyes, ears, and hearts, to truth and come clean, come right, become pure beings.>>

and i wish the same for you. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:55:56 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 7, 2012 11:00:31 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:57:18 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 7, 2012 11:00:38 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:59:11 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 7, 2012 11:00:44 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:02:11 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:18:30 AM PST
1 part laughing and 1 part eye rolling.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:18:57 AM PST
Anne Rice said: "wholesale persecution of American gays, and assaults on the rights of American women....

Let's hope we can respect one another's differences, and stop some of the language of extremism."

Anne: please turn off your television and radio and move away from California. You have officially "jumped the shark."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:27:57 AM PST
Bubba says:
The Roman Catholic Church is also actively opposing Marriage Equality, birth control, and abortion; that makes them far more like fundamentalists and the Christian Right than liberal Christians.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:34:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 11:39:24 AM PST
Bubba says:
You can download the Jefferson Bible, or "The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth" or view photographs of it.

The Jefferson Bible, illustrated for Kindle, 99 cents.

http://americanhistory.si.edu/jeffersonbible/

http://uuhouston.org/files/The_Jefferson_Bible.pdf

http://www.angelfire.com/co/JeffersonBible/

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:44:57 AM PST
Astrocat says:
I hope the religious "right" is very quickly dissipated, not only weakened, but that it completely falls apart.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  345
Initial post:  Nov 7, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions