Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

Why do we have to suffer? (Christians only please)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 377 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 9, 2013 5:53:27 PM PST
Rubedo says:
If Jesus took our sins to the cross and suffered for us, why do "believers" have to suffer at all?

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 3:52:05 AM PDT
Jonn Jonzz says:
Because it's all nonsense?

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 5:20:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2013 5:21:36 AM PDT
When Adam sinned , he wanted to have independence from God. He wanted to rule himself. God took a step back and allowed man time to see if that was so. God is laughing at mans plans , he has dominated man to his injury. Ecc8 Satan is the ruler of this world not God as many think, so it is through the devil that all are suffering the consequences of sin. Soon though God will take over rulership through his KINGDOM see Dan 2v44 where he will destroy the wicked and restore the earth to its former glory. All of Gods people have to suffer as well as the wicked, Satan does not look after his own, contrary to common belief. It might seem so at time but the devil is out to destroy all humans even those who are on his side.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 6:39:17 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 6:40:34 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 6:42:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2013 6:44:29 AM PDT
Vicki says:
Dear Rubedo,

You asked :"If Jesus took our sins to the cross and suffered for us, why do "believers" have to suffer at all?"

Because sin and evil still exist in our world. God wants us to repent and live, but for a while we must live in a world that is lost and suffering, even when we repent.

Jesus was without sin, yet he suffered on the cross.
He suffered physically and spiritually. His friends betrayed and/or abandoned him. He was ridiculed and treated unjustly. He died.

With this in mind, why would believers in Jesus not suffer, even after we repent and believe?

I am convinced that our suffering can serve some purpose of God's. We don't always know the reason, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 6:47:06 AM PDT
Harry Marks says:
Rubedo -

I find that a very strange question. Suffering has ever been an unwelcome part of the human condition. But it is God's mission to help us find will and ways to relieve each other's suffering, and the point is not the goal of ending suffering, the point is the process of aiming to relieve each other. We are guest and host at a great feast of caring.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 6:56:04 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 7:15:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2013 7:18:40 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 7:17:19 AM PDT

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 7:36:00 AM PDT
Ambulocetus says:
How narrowly are you defining "Christians" in "Christians only, please"?

Do Catholics count? Mormons?

Because different people cut up the pie differently, is why I'm asking.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 10:24:47 AM PDT
Rubedo says:
Daniel Dickson-LaPrade says:
How narrowly are you defining "Christians" in "Christians only, please"?
Do Catholics count? Mormons?
Because different people cut up the pie differently, is why I'm asking.

Rubedo: Well the Christians who believe he actually existed and that he suffered & died on the cross for our sins.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 10:25:48 AM PDT
Rubedo says:
Harry Marks says:
I find that a very strange question. Suffering has ever been an unwelcome part of the human condition. But it is God's mission to help us find will and ways to relieve each other's suffering, and the point is not the goal of ending suffering, the point is the process of aiming to relieve each other. We are guest and host at a great feast of caring.

Rubedo:
But why suffering at all?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 10:28:57 AM PDT
Rubedo says:
Vicki says:

Dear Rubedo,

You asked :"If Jesus took our sins to the cross and suffered for us, why do "believers" have to suffer at all?"

Because sin and evil still exist in our world. God wants us to repent and live, but for a while we must live in a world that is lost and suffering, even when we repent.

Jesus was without sin, yet he suffered on the cross.
He suffered physically and spiritually. His friends betrayed and/or abandoned him. He was ridiculed and treated unjustly. He died.

With this in mind, why would believers in Jesus not suffer, even after we repent and believe?

I am convinced that our suffering can serve some purpose of God's. We don't always know the reason, though.

Rubedo:
Exactly because "Jesus was without sin, yet he suffered on the cross.
He suffered physically and spiritually. His friends betrayed and/or abandoned him. He was ridiculed and treated unjustly. He died." For us and our sins."

So then why do "sin and evil still exist in our world"? Why "for a while we must live in a world that is lost and suffering, even when we repent" if we are now redeemed?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 10:31:38 AM PDT
Rubedo says:
Brad Watson, Miami says:
We live in a duality. We can't know pleasure unless we know pain.

Rubedo: Sorry, I don't get it the "why".

BW:
I AM dedicated to trying to alleviate suffering around the world. Are you?

Rubedo:
Yes even though it is overwhelming.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 11:44:43 AM PDT
Harry Marks says:
Rubedo -

"why suffering at all?"

I don't really acknowledge any Christian issue in that question. We evolved in a context of having to struggle for food, and that reality was the limiting factor in human society until the steam engine. Likewise parasites and pathogens have made their home in us like other creatures. Suffering is another name for the motivation we feel to prevent and cure these threatening circumstances.

Suffering is part of the world as created, in other words.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 11:46:41 AM PDT
nameinuse says:
Builds character.

Rub some dirt in it, son. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 11:53:44 AM PDT
Rubedo says:
Harry Marks says:

Rubedo -

"why suffering at all?"

I don't really acknowledge any Christian issue in that question. We evolved in a context of having to struggle for food, and that reality was the limiting factor in human society until the steam engine. Likewise parasites and pathogens have made their home in us like other creatures. Suffering is another name for the motivation we feel to prevent and cure these threatening circumstances.

Suffering is part of the world as created, in other words.

Rubedo:
OK, so the Adam & Eve sin story has nothing to do with our current suffering nor does the death of Jesus other than as a model for patiently enduring it?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 11:58:22 AM PDT
Rubedo says:
nameinuse says:
Builds character.

Rubedo:
You are sounding a little like St Catherine if Siena:

Patience cannot be proved in any other way than by suffering, and patience is united with love as has been said. Therefore bear yourselves with manly courage, for, unless you do so, you will not prove yourselves to be spouses of My Truth, and faithful children, nor of the company of those who relish the taste of My honor, and the salvation of souls."

http://www.ewtn.com/library/SOURCES/CATHDIAL.HTM

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 12:00:58 PM PDT
We suffer because this world is not paradise,Jesus said your not part of this world,so grin and bear it till ya get to the next world.Shut up pick up your cross and do your Job!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 12:03:17 PM PDT
nameinuse says:
I sound even more like a high school football coach.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 12:07:25 PM PDT
Harry Marks says:
Rubedo -

"OK, so the Adam & Eve sin story has nothing to do with our current suffering nor does the death of Jesus other than as a model for patiently enduring it? "

Almost. Yes, we should be patient, but no, we should not simply accept it when it is in our power to change it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 2:31:47 PM PDT
Macheath says:
What Jesus did on the cross has nothing to do with relieving us of any suffering. As a matter of fact he said that if we are to be his followers we too must "carry our cross", i.e. accepting our suffering is part of our Imitation of Christ.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 2:41:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2013 2:45:01 PM PDT
jpl says:
Why do we have to suffer? (Christians only please)

jpl: As a non-theist . . . Oops, I forgot that xtians don't want to hear dissenting opinions.. . . sorry.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 2:54:26 PM PDT
Daniel (a good Biblical name),

Of course Roman Catholics count as Christian! As do Mormons. Just because someone who believes that Jesus was the Christ may have been taught some misinformation, doesn't negate their status as Christian.

I AM omnireligious. I told a couple people yesterday at Miami Shores Presbyterian Church this. "I was taught as a child in the Presbyterian Church to "imitate Jesus". Well, to do that you would have to start with being Jewish and, of course, Christian. I AM Muslim since I: (1) believe in the One GOD, (2) recognize Muhammad as a prophet, and (3) recognize the Qur'an as the Word of GOD. I'm not a Hindu, but I've proven reincarnation & karma through the scientific method.

I worship the truth and go to great depths to seek it out.

The term 'Christian' originated as a description of those who learned Jesus lessons and imitated him.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
455 12 days ago
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light Part 2 761 23 seconds ago
We are Living in the Last Days - A Biblical Prophecy Discussion Part Six 6008 30 seconds ago
Ambiguity 229 4 minutes ago
I completely understand now why Mormons aren't Christians. 4807 12 minutes ago
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the restored church II 6677 35 minutes ago
Black Mass at Harvard 838 40 minutes ago
To what extent do Literalist ID/Creationists End Times fundamentalists threaten Christianity: Part the Third , Would like to change this name to how to save the religions that were established by Moses, Muslim, Christian and Jew 6358 52 minutes ago
Part 6 - the new thread 1382 1 hour ago
Mary was Sinless -- Part XXIII 3437 1 hour ago
What powers everything? 79 1 hour ago
Catholicism is based on Jesus Christ- Part 8 2489 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  38
Total posts:  377
Initial post:  Mar 9, 2013
Latest post:  Apr 3, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions