Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

The parables Jesus told

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 471 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 8, 2012 7:17:09 AM PDT
Vicki says:
Which parable, among the parables Jesus told, is your favorite? Why?

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 7:18:24 AM PDT
none

i want info to be clear straightforward and unambiguous without requiring guessing as to what it *really* means

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 10:29:30 AM PDT
Vicki says:
Dear andthehorse,

Jesus did explain the meaning of some of his parables to his disciples in private, which would have swept away the ambiguity. Do you have any favorites from those?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 10:34:50 AM PDT
since He didnt explain them to me then no I dont

what He told them in private does not help us

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 10:58:03 AM PDT
Vicki says:
Dear andthehorse,

Why do you think that the explanations which Jesus gave his disciples back then, wouldn't help his followers today?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 11:29:20 AM PDT
only if He gave them to us instead of them

why do we have to guess
adn they get special info ?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 12:27:02 PM PDT
Vicki says:
Dear andthehorse,

If I go along with your train of thinking, (I think), then Jesus would have to come to each generation and explain himself. Wouldn't that be a little cumbersome?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 12:30:32 PM PDT
Jesus was one and done, but the Christ spirit does take human form once every thousand years or so.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 12:40:57 PM PDT
Vicki says:
Dear Here For The Music,

Does that mean, like andthehorse, you don't read any of Jesus' parables, either?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 12:43:04 PM PDT
No, there is great wisdom in Jesus' parables.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 1:01:47 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 8, 2012 1:02:21 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 1:03:37 PM PDT
Sounds like you need to make your complaint to the Father.

"For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak." John 12:49

(posted this on my wife's account previously by mistake)

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 1:03:50 PM PDT
I like the one about the tortoise and the hare.

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 1:05:26 PM PDT
Of course, how the leopard got his spots was pretty good as well.

The "tar baby" story was a little far-fetched, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 2:06:49 PM PDT
Vicki says:
Dear Joseph,

Good point...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 3:22:25 PM PDT
or He coudl just have told us once exactly what it meant so nobody would need to explain it

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 3:22:53 PM PDT
there for the money is an atheist

i have read them all
just didnt make any sense

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 3:23:32 PM PDT
no complaint

just bewildered and confused about it

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 5:50:31 PM PDT
Vicki says:
I know its hard to choose just one favorite parable! I have more than one favorite, myself.

The parables of the Hidden Treasure and the Pearl are two of my favorites (Matthew 13:44-46). I think it is interesting that the man who found the treasure in the field, found it by accident. The merchant who found the pearl of great value, had been looking for pearls all along. The Kingdom of Heaven is like that- some people are diligently searching for it and find it, while others stumble upon it by accident.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 6:10:48 PM PDT
mrs exp says:
Clint "Chair" Eastwood,
You must be quite old. I don't think they tell that story any more.
exp

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 6:37:30 PM PDT
Jeff Marzano says:
Jesus Christ felt that His words are true for everyone. Saying things that meet this criteria is not an easy thing to do. He lived at a very simple historical time period compared to today. He wasn't trying to teach philosophers and PhDs.

The true gospels are very different from the so called 'lost gospels' such as the gospels of Thomas and Mary Magdalene which are really false gospels. Anyone familiar with the New Testament can tell immediately that those lost gospels are false and Christ did not talk that way.

I believe Christ studied with teachers and priests in India and Egypt for many years before He started His fateful ministry at the age of 30. The person we see in the New Testament had reached a very high level of spiritual enlightenment. He spoke and taught like nobody else in recorded history.

It was Christ's ability to explain great truths in simple terms that makes Him the greatest philosopher of all time. It's very interesting that He often spoke in parables. And He lived out and actually became the philosophy He taught.

I like the parable where the poor beggar Lazarus sits at the rich guy's gate hoping to find some scraps of food. Lazarus and the rich guy both die. Lazarus goes up to heaven with Abraham while the rich guy goes down into that eternal torture chamber for the damned where he is tormented by the thought of just obtaining a drop of water to quench his eternally burning tongue.

The rich guy begs Abraham to at least allow him to return from the dead long enough to warn his brothers about Hell. Abraham responds with one of the most profound statements in the bible:

<< Luke 16:31 >>

"He said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.'"

That statement is profound for Christians because this is exactly what happened. Christ did rise from the dead and many still do not believe.

One of my all time favorite statements by Christ, although not a parable, is:

<< Matthew 6:21 >>

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Jeff Marzano

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 6:45:56 PM PDT
HftM

Who was it in 1033?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 6:38:38 AM PDT
Vicki says:
Dear Jeff,

Thank-you for telling us your favorite parable and your all time favorite statement by Christ.

How unusual that you believe that Jesus spent time in India, but you reject the "lost gospels"- referred to as the Gnostic gospels (or are they changing their ideas about that, nowadays?).
I thought those two ideas usually went together.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 6:42:25 AM PDT
Vicki says:
Dear Jeff,

You said :" He lived at a very simple historical time period compared to today. He wasn't trying to teach philosophers and PhDs."

I've been reading N.T. Wright's "Simply Jesus". The politics of Jesus' day turned out not to be so simple. Whew! Talk about factions-despite the fact that they couldn't vote.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 7:34:12 AM PDT
no

history shows where Jesus was when they ran from herod

and that he may have gotten as far as india
but no evidence of the gnostic stuff being true
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  33
Total posts:  471
Initial post:  Oct 8, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions