Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

Interfaith Dialogue Part IV

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 56 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 16, 2012 8:48:04 PM PDT
Keep it going.

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 8:49:40 PM PDT
"Blessed and happy is he that ariseth to promote the best interests of the peoples and kindreds of the earth." --Tablets of Bahá'u'lláh

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 9:04:33 PM PDT
I wish I could always live up to these words:

"Consort with all men, O people of Baha, in a spirit of friendliness and fellowship. If ye be aware of a certain truth, if ye possess a jewel, of which others are deprived, share it with them in a language of utmost kindliness and goodwill. If it be accepted, if it fulfill its purpose, your object is attained. If anyone should refuse it, leave him unto himself, and beseech God to guide him. Beware lest ye deal unkindly with him. A kindly tongue is the lodestone of the hearts of men. It is the bread of the spirit, it clotheth the words with meaning, it is the fountain of the light of wisdom and understanding."

(Baha'u'llah)

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 11:12:50 PM PDT
Linda Sang says:
Thanks for starting this new thread, HFTM. The old one was pretty much finished by the time I finally decided to start posting there. I'm gong to have to spend a some time reading the old thread to get up to speed, but it should be interesting reading.

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 12:02:24 PM PDT
"Although we may have different concepts of God's nature, although we may pray to Him in different languages and call Him by different names--Allah or Yahweh, God or Brahma--nevertheless, we are speaking about the same unique Being."

http://info.bahai.org/article-1-4-0-2.html

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 12:45:12 PM PDT
"O Children of Men! Know ye not why We created you all from the same dust? That no one should exalt himself over the other. Ponder at all times in your hearts how ye were created." --The Hidden Words of Bahá'u'lláh

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 3:37:15 PM PDT
Craig says:
I will enjoy participating here also. I like the words you post. I am curious about your faith. Do you have gatherings, like church meetings? What day, or days of the week?

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 9:29:15 PM PDT
Ryan Willis says:
Glad to see this thread has continued to thrive. Sorry I'm unable to post much but that's the college life for you. I still have term papers to write but once the semester is all set and done I will be following and posting around again during winter break.

I look forward to what I get to read in this thread.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 4:19:18 PM PDT
Craig says:
I would like to see this thread continue.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 10:10:52 PM PDT
Bryan Borich says:
While looking at c&p'ing some of the 10 commandments, I started giving second thoughts to the following, and wondered if it might be the same Mother and Father referred to in Genesis and by Jesus (God and Sophia):

Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.

Some food for thought.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 11:48:52 AM PDT
Craig says:
I'll chew on it for a while.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 11:51:17 AM PDT
Craig says:
Tao Te Ching
The highest excellence is like (that of) water. The excellence
of water appears in its benefiting all things, and in its occupying,
without striving (to the contrary), the low place which all men
dislike. Hence (its way) is near to (that of) the Tao.

The excellence of a residence is in (the suitability of) the place;
that of the mind is in abysmal stillness; that of associations is in
their being with the virtuous; that of government is in its securing
good order; that of (the conduct of) affairs is in its ability; and
that of (the initiation of) any movement is in its timeliness.

And when (one with the highest excellence) does not wrangle (about
his low position), no one finds fault with him.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 12:19:37 PM PDT
Craig says:
Tao Te Chang
"It is better to leave a vessel unfilled, than to attempt to
carry it when it is full. If you keep feeling a point that has been
sharpened, the point cannot long preserve its sharpness.

When gold and jade fill the hall, their possessor cannot keep them
safe. When wealth and honours lead to arrogancy, this brings its evil
on itself. When the work is done, and one's name is becoming
distinguished, to withdraw into obscurity is the way of Heaven."

John Lennon

"Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people sharing all the world

You, you may say
I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll join us
And the world will live as one"

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 10:09:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2012 10:10:03 PM PST
Basic Teachings of Bahá'u'lláh

Bahá'u'lláh taught that there is one God whose successive revelations of His will to humanity have been the chief civilizing force in history. The agents of this process have been the Divine Messengers whom people have seen chiefly as the founders of separate religious systems but whose common purpose has been to bring the human race to spiritual and moral maturity.

Humanity is now coming of age. It is this that makes possible the unification of the human family and the building of a peaceful, global society. Among the principles which the Bahá'í Faith promotes as vital to the achievement of this goal are

*the abandonment of all forms of prejudice
*assurance to women of full equality of opportunity with men
*recognition of the unity and relativity of religious truth
*the elimination of extremes of poverty and wealth
*the realization of universal education
*the responsibility of each person to independently search for truth
*the establishment of a global commonwealth of nations
*recognition that true religion is in harmony with reason and the pursuit of scientific knowledge

http://info.bahai.org/bahaullah-basic-teachings.html

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 12:48:22 PM PST
"When we ponder over the reality of the microcosm, we discover that in the microcosm there are deposited three realities. Man is endowed with an outer or physical reality. It belongs to the material realm, the animal kingdom, because it has sprung from the material world... man is endowed with a second reality, the rational or intellectual reality; and the intellectual reality of man predominates over nature. All these sciences which we enjoy were the hidden and recondite secrets of nature, unknowable to nature, but man was enabled to discover these mysteries, and out of the plane of the unseen he brought them into the plane of the seen. Yet there is a third reality in man, the spiritual reality. Through its medium one discovers spiritual revelations, a celestial faculty which is infinite as regards the intellectual as well as physical realms." -- `Abdu'l-Bahá

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 2:25:53 PM PST
Craig says:
Here For The Music quoted: "Yet there is a third reality in man, the spiritual reality. Through its medium one discovers spiritual revelations, a celestial faculty which is infinite as regards the intellectual as well as physical realms." -- `Abdu'l-Bahá

I am learning not to limit this faculty, because it is limitless.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 3:52:39 AM PST
Bryan Borich says:
Anybody left here, roll call time, lol.....

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 8:07:07 AM PST
"Most regrettable of all is the state of difference and divergence we have created between each other in the name of religion, imagining that a paramount duty in our religious belief is that of alienation and estrangement, that we should shun each other and consider each other contaminated with error and infidelity." - `Abdu'l-Bahá

http://239days.com/2012/11/09/challenging-washingtons-oldest-jewish-congregation/

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 8:28:42 AM PST
"Let me ask your closest attention in considering this subject. The divine religions embody two kinds of ordinances. First, there are those which constitute essential, or spiritual, teachings of the Word of God. These are faith in God, the acquirement of the virtues which characterize perfect manhood, praiseworthy moralities, the acquisition of the bestowals and bounties emanating from the divine effulgences -- in brief, the ordinances which concern the realm of morals and ethics. This is the fundamental aspect of the religion of God, and this is of the highest importance because knowledge of God is the fundamental requirement of man. Man must comprehend the oneness of Divinity. He must come to know and acknowledge the precepts of God and realize for a certainty that the ethical development of humanity is dependent upon religion. He must get rid of all defects and seek the attainment of heavenly virtues in order that he may prove to be the image and likeness of God. It is recorded in the Holy Bible that God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness." It is self-evident that the image and likeness mentioned do not apply to the form and semblance of a human being because the reality of Divinity is not limited to any form or figure. Nay, rather, the attributes and characteristics of God are intended. Even as God is pronounced to be just, man must likewise be just. As God is loving and kind to all men, man must likewise manifest loving-kindness to all humanity. As God is loyal and truthful, man must show forth the same attributes in the human world. Even as God exercises mercy toward all, man must prove himself to be the manifestation of mercy. In a word, the image and likeness of God constitute the virtues of God, and man is intended to become the recipient of the effulgences of divine attributes. This is the essential foundation of all the divine religions, the reality itself, common to all. Abraham promulgated this; Moses proclaimed it. Christ and all the Prophets upheld this standard and aspect of divine religion."

(Abdu'l-Baha, The Promulgation of Universal Peace)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:33:01 AM PST
Craig says:
Hey Bryan.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 7:51:35 PM PST
Bryan Borich says:
A good quote for these times,

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. (George Orwell)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:53:39 PM PST
Bryan Borich says:
Funny, my daughter just came back from Sacramento, her fiancee's family was trying a business up there, but it wasn't going well.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:59:49 PM PST
Bryan Borich says:
[Speaking of which, Imagine was a message from Jesus, for Heaven on Earth]

This song, in it's way relates to the Dao (at least for me right now),

Let it Be

When I find myself in times of trouble,
Mother Mary comes to me,
Speaking words of wisdom,
Let it be.
And in the hour of darkness,
She is standing right in front of me,
Let it be.

Let it be, let it be,
Let it be, let it be,
Whisper words of wisdom,
Let it be.

And when the broken-hearted people,
Living in the world agree,
There will be an answer,
Let it be.
For though they may be parted,
There is still a chance that they will see,
There will be an answer,
Let it be.

Let it be, let it be,
Let it be, let it be,
There will be an answer,
Let it be.

Let it be, let it be,
Let it be, let it be,
Whisper words of wisdom,
Let it be.

(Instrumental Break)

And when the night is cloudy,
There is still a light that shines on me,
Shine until tomorrow,
Let it be.
I wake up to sound of music,
Mother Mary comes to me,
Let it be.

Let it be, let it be,
Let it be, let it be,
There will be an answer,
Let it be.

Let it be, let it be,
Let it be, let it be,
Whisper words of wisdom,
Let it be.

Hoooo' hoooo'

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 12:21:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 12:22:52 AM PST
Bryan Borich says:
You're not fighting because you are enemies;
you become enemies because you are fighting.
Because your parents and siblings are dead
and men next to you keep dying.
That's when it becomes a real war.
From that point, the enemy is no longer human.
They're just enemy, animals and pieces of meat.
That's why it's so hard to stop a war.
Because hatred keeps building and building.

From Legend of the Patriots, episode 18(?)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 6:29:34 PM PST
Linda Sang says:
BRYAN: Anybody left here, roll call time, lol.....

LINDA: Yeah...me, reading and catching up. Fortunately, the thread has been relatively inactive so the process isn't too daunting. Not like "Jewish Unity," lol...

Just wait until Balok finds out I'm back there. I'm sure he's got some special little barb waiting with my name on it! Of course I have him on ignore, so I don't HAVE to read it...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  56
Initial post:  Oct 16, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions