Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian Storm Fire TV Stick Grocery Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Shop Now Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

Pope Benedict Resigns

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 226-250 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 3:55:35 AM PST
BV says:
JS - "Why do christian wanna bes have to judge everything"

Why do non-christians always judge Christians by saying that every statement they make is a judgement?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 4:28:59 AM PST
JS -

That kind of stuff is only in the eye of someone who beholds it that way.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 4:34:20 AM PST
Brian Curtis says:
Heh. If you want to pretend the Catholic Church has never quietly changed its doctrines and then pretended its positions were 'eternal,' you're a good little believer. Meanwhile, the world knows the truth that Darwin showed: adapt or die.

Eventually, the Church will embrace all liberal & progressive positions, and then rewrite history to pretend it actually agreed with them all along... just as you've done here. The sad part is that believers like you will actually think it's the truth!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 4:57:27 AM PST
"Meanwhile, the world knows the truth that Darwin showed: adapt or die."

Brian Curtis -

The Church won't bow to the dictated doctrines of the world. And, why should the world care? It's been ignoring the Church for decades now in our lifetime...

Why does the world act like it really cares WHAT the Church says? You don't like it, don't be Catholic.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 5:01:04 AM PST
It is much more likely that Benedict XVI does not want to end up like John Paul II.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 5:05:20 AM PST
Theresa, it is a matter of time. The laity is way ahead of the hierarchy on these issues, which constitute a bureaucratic-legalistic boondoggle that is getting worse with each passing year.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 5:08:23 AM PST
Pope Benedict XVI made his decision "with full freedom," while he still possessed his full faculties. This decision will be his enduring legacy, and it will ensure that no future pope will end up incapacitated like John Paul II.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 5:26:04 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 25, 2013 10:28:39 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 5:28:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 12, 2013 5:30:46 AM PST
Gone says:
True.

Besides, the one that hit yesterday struck a lightning rod in the back. But what a spectacular sight. Maybe God didn't like the news that Pope Benedict was resigning.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 5:35:45 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 25, 2013 10:28:40 AM PDT]

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 5:52:45 AM PST
Lugh says:
Latest candidate: www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=615207931838601 I assume they are Catholic and male, and thus eligible.

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 6:38:00 AM PST
David says:
I think we should have a Pope-ess

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 6:57:49 AM PST
Reesey says:
Theresa: Ah! So HBO is your source for authoritative truth....
Say no more, lol!

R: I got quite a chuckle out of that post myself. HBO, the last bastion of objective journalism!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 7:00:41 AM PST
Reesey says:
Theresa: It was done freely.

R: And apparently after much prayer and deliberation. I posted this on another thread, but worth reporting here, from Scott Hahn's Facebook page:

"Back on April 29, 2009, Pope Benedict XVI did something rather striking, but which went largely unnoticed.

He stopped off in Aquila, Italy, and visited the tomb of an obscure medieval Pope named St. Celestine V (1215-1296). After a brief prayer, he left his pallium, the symbol of his own episcopal authority as Bishop of Rome, on top of Celestine's tomb!

Fifteen months later, on July 4, 2010, Benedict went out of his way again, this time to visit and pray in the cathedral of Sulmona, near Rome, before the relics of this same saint, Celestine V.

Few people, however, noticed at the time.

Only now, we may be gaining a better understanding of what it meant. These actions were probably more than pious acts. More likely, they were profound and symbolic gestures of a very personal nature, which conveyed a message that a Pope can hardly deliver any other way.

In the year 1294, this man (Fr. Pietro Angelerio), known by all as a devout and holy priest, was elected Pope, somewhat against his will, shortly before his 80th birthday (Ratzinger was 78 when he was elected Pope in 2005). Just five months later, after issuing a formal decree allowing popes to resign (or abdicate, like other rulers), Pope Celestine V exercised that right. And now Pope Benedict XVI has chosen to follow in the footsteps of this venerable model."

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Hahn/165171813503937

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 7:28:31 AM PST
David says:
I really wouldn't look at Celestine as a good pope. He was incompetant and really didn't care about the office.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 7:50:42 AM PST
I. L. Walker says:
D - An uncolored account?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 8:01:37 AM PST
David says:
It is a fact that he didn't want to be Pope and when he got in he appointed many to the same position which caused utter confusion. He was only Pope for 5 months so not a lot he could accomplish that was noteworthy

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 8:07:18 AM PST
Brian Curtis says:
"The Church won't bow to the dictated doctrines of the world."

It already has, and it will again.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 8:08:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 12, 2013 8:13:07 AM PST
I. L. Walker says:
D - What are your sources? It is funny how someone who lived so long ago, and accomplished so little could garner such a specific reference to his desire to be pope and that he caused utter confusion about what he did when " he got in". Unbiased, contemporary source, which you are willing to vouch for?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 8:08:44 AM PST
I. L. Walker says:
BC - For instance?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 8:12:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 12, 2013 8:13:50 AM PST
Reesey says:
David,

Other than missing the point of the story - which was Pope Benedict's symbolic gesture at the grave of St Celestine 4 years ago - you have badly mischaracterized St. Celestine's "care for the office".

He knew he was not suited for the position, and didn't want it. And yes, he did a very poor job - which only proved what he had been saying all along - that he was not suited for the position. His resignation demonstrates his great care for the office, rather than your claim of a lack of care.

If Wikipedia is your only source of knowledge about this extremely humble man, then maybe you should do some outside reading about him before you calumnize this truly holy man.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 8:13:58 AM PST
David says:
You want sources from the 13th century? Give me the keys and passcodes to the Vatican archives and I'll look it up for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 8:18:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 12, 2013 8:18:56 AM PST
I. L. Walker says:
D - It was you who spoke with a certain level of certainty and what I presumed was scholarship. Your words were posted with what I sensed was authority. My mistake.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 8:18:49 AM PST
David says:
How about the Catholic Encyclopedia:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03479b.htm

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 8:22:21 AM PST
David says:
If you like the old guy, fine! The point was that A: He didn't want the job, it was forced on him and B: When he WAS Pope he did a lousy job, not because he wasn't 'saintly' or 'Godly' enough but simply because he was a fish out of water. He had no clue of the politics involved. He tried but couldn't cut it!
‹ Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 277 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  73
Total posts:  6916
Initial post:  Feb 11, 2013
Latest post:  Apr 8, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions