Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

Can the Christian Belief System be seen as full of double talk?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 11:27:14 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:38:00 PM PST]

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 11:29:56 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:38:05 PM PST]

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 11:32:30 PM PDT
I. Dunn says:
If you prick us, do we not bleed?

No of course not, modern educated scientific man is above bleeding.

And you will not understand this either, and when pricked and bleeding will be amazed and cry out that this should not happen to us.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 11:32:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 23, 2012 11:36:43 PM PDT
The best thing about this forum and why I come here is that every time I get into a debate with someone who is a believer I always read their references. And invariably, like in 95% of the cases, it leads me to learning something I never knew before about Christian belief. But rather than it making me a believer, it does the opposite because I see so many things that just make no sense, or have no biblical basis, or are examples of what you say.

I've found several things Jesus did which were sins under the law, but he always justifies doing them (or not doing them) because the other person (Pharisee) is supposedly a hypocrite. However nothing in the law is conditional based on what your neighbor does or does not do, only on what the law itself says. He never disputes that it's a law, he just justifies why he does not have to do it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 11:41:20 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:38:15 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 12:54:24 AM PDT
Anne, the irony is that many of the laws he "cancelled" were beneficial to women. Like that men could not have sex with their wives during their period, or for a certain amount of time after they gave birth.

Now you have to wonder how it benefits people, particularly women, that these laws are no longer in effect (supposedly).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 8:24:35 AM PDT
BV says:
GS - "I believe you would receive some fine debate if you took this to a TRUE Christian forum."

Well do you have anything to contribute to Anne's question, other than she should go to another forum?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 8:29:20 AM PDT
BV says:
Bo Man - "When the "unspeakable joy" doesn't manifest, they're told that it's a lack of faith on their part."

I can tell by this post and many of your other ones that you spent a lot of time in a pretty poor ministry, because those are some pretty poor answers they gave you. You are judging an entire belief system based on what you learned from a bunch of self-rightous poseurs.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 8:35:27 AM PDT
BV says:
Anne - "And if it's gift, well, what if nobody ever gave you the gift?"

I have to admit that I still have not come to an understanding of why some receive the gift of faith and why some don't. So for that question, I have to say "I don't know."

As far as the double talk you've been getting, are you actually asking people you meet these questions, or have you been compiling statements from myriad preachers and arranging them in such a way to fit your agenda?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 8:38:45 AM PDT
BV says:
Anne - " aren't they all willing and committed to "fighting" for their beliefs against others?"

It's a natural human reaction. I don't believe Jesus would want them to fight. You know that recent movie with Andy Garcia about the Christados in Mexico? I understand why they would do that, but somehow I doubt that Jesus would have approved of them putting together an army to fight back. Just like Jesus told Peter to put his sword away.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 8:41:29 AM PDT
BV says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 8:49:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 24, 2012 8:50:25 AM PDT
Theresa says:
BV:
Everyone is offered the free gift,
but some _choose not to receive_ it.

One can only guess why some choose not to receive the free gift.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 8:59:48 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:38:30 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 9:07:32 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:38:40 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 9:09:37 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:38:45 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 9:13:59 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:38:51 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 9:47:34 AM PDT
BV says:
Anne - "I don't believe in the Christian Belief system."

I can understand that, and don't take issue with it, as everyone is entitled to their opinion.

But time and time again, you have made matter-of-fact statements on this forum that Christianity is a "horrible" and "immoral" belief system, among other things. Is that what it means to be a critic? I guess maybe if you're a movie critic.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 9:52:19 AM PDT
BV says:
Anne - " how can you know what Jesus would want?"

By reading what He says in the Bible, of course.

"The seeds of discord are sewn into the N.T. in the writings of Paul."

Humans tend to disagree once in awhile. I'm sure that Paul wrote plenty of letters that didn't make it into the Bible. When he did argue with Peter, it could be discerned by reading elsewhere in the scriptures who was right and who was wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 10:15:17 AM PDT
Jack Vix says:
I don't think that's a fair point. The overwhelming majority of modern Christians aren't armed with swords slaying heretics. Although, oddly, a lot of Christians are OK being sanctioned killers in the military.

The Bible itself contradicts this "prince of peace" claim.

Matthew 5:17 "do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them."

Matthew 10:34 "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword."

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 10:25:44 AM PDT
Theresa says:
Anne, I greatly appreciate your sincere response. I am hearing what you're saying; and I do understand.

I agree with you...that it's difficult to imagine someone willingly, and knowingly, choosing hell for all eternity. And, I'm convinced that God doesn't desire that either. He has gone out of His way to help us choose Him forever. (And you know that story---the history of salvation recorded in Scripture.)

I've come to realize though, at this point in my life, that the "heaven or hell" choice issue is not a 'one-time' decision but rather a matter of accumulated daily choices---decisions we make in every moment of each day. And it's these choices, built up over a lifetime, that tend to incline one's will more and more toward God and His will or, conversely, away from Him and His will.

The best I can explain this is by saying that God's will for each person in every moment is to make those choices that will bring him/her closer to God, ultimately, forever.
And, without the help of supernatural grace, humans just aren't capable of doing this.
This is why God sent His Son...to make that grace of the Holy Spirit available to us through His Paschal Mystery. And this... is the core (and should be the focus) of all Christianity.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 10:26:24 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:39:10 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 10:30:43 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:39:16 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 10:38:42 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:39:23 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 10:39:53 AM PDT
BV says:
Anne - "So I fail to see your point."

My point is that, when it comes to critiquing a movie, which is mere entertainment, it is tolerable for a critic to publish a statement like "This is a horrible movie - the worst of the summer," or some such thing.

But you are correct. The Christian Belief System is not "entertainment." It is a way of life that means everything to a lot of people. So saying to someone that the way of life they have adopted is "immoral" is quite a harsh statement.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 10:44:40 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:39:30 PM PST]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  79
Total posts:  3986
Initial post:  Sep 23, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions