Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

Can the Christian Belief System be seen as full of double talk?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 1:13:43 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:41:30 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 1:47:30 PM PDT
"BV says: What is being judged here is a Church-run program that went astray, not what Jesus Christ created. "

Matthew Broderick tells me every day that the "Church was built on the rock of Peter" and therefore the Pope(s) effectively are Jesus representatives here on earth.

So what is the story? Do you accept the authority of the church or not? When do they speak on behalf of your Lord Jesus and when do they not?

You seem to be playing the game of biblical ambiguity all over again. They are the authentic and true representatives of the Word of God, but only when you say they are.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 1:49:07 PM PDT
K. Collins says:
...I vaguely remember when I was almost 3 years old I was in the hospital after a near death experience (appendix rubtured). I was in a child's bunk bed and I remember a Man I thought was a doctor or nurse coming in and talking to me. I can't remember what He said, I only remember how loving He was. I asked my nurse for him the next day and she said there weren't any male nurses and no doctor had been there... When I was about 5, my brothers and sisters had said some mean things to me and I ran to my room sat on the floor and cried, asked God to make me fall asleep, but not wake me up. I fell asleep and was awoken to church bells ringing, I looked out my window and saw the cross on the church blocks away. When I was 17 yrs old I was up late curling my hair, about 1am and a Gospel show was on television, and the preacher talked about Salvation, and how God loves me, preached on John 3:16. I didn't think much of it, normally would have changed the channel, but didn't. That night I said the prayer based on Romans 10:9. Didn't think much that either, didn't feel any different, just went on with my life. Maybe 2yrs after that I was in bed with my boyfreind, and felt an OVERWHELMING touch come over me, it was like my entire body was filled with love. Naturally I thought it was from my boyfreind, so I asked him, you love me don't you (that's how real it was) and he said, yes I love you--casually. I said, no--you really--really love me? And he again said casually, yes. I didn't ask him again, because his reaction didn't match the feeling I felt, so I knew that overwhelming feeling of love was not from him. I didn't go to church until later when I was invited to a revival at a coworker's church. Again, the preacher preached about Salvation--being saved, and God's love through Christ. That day I accepted Christ as my personal Saviour and my life has not been perfect, but I do have this "unspeakable joy." I sometimes think I am at an advantage over even other Christians because I have had other personal encounters with Christ just as evident as the ones I mentioned. Jesus is as real to me as any human being alive; for me the Gospel of Jesus Christ is not just Words in a book (bible); I believe with my whole heart and mind, and He manifests Himself to me in different ways... you have to have an open heart for Jesus, He won't force Himself on you, but His Word says, none who are His will be lost...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 1:50:00 PM PDT
Theresa says:
Anne, yes; that's good.

I experience tremendous peace just reading John 14.
I don't always expect it, but I do always find it there.

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 1:52:22 PM PDT
K. Collins says:
.I vaguely remember when I was almost 3 years old I was in the hospital after a near death experience (appendix rubtured). I was in a child's bunk bed and I remember a Man I thought was a doctor or nurse coming in and talking to me. I can't remember what He said, I only remember how loving He was. I asked my nurse for him the next day and she said there weren't any male nurses and no doctor had been there... When I was about 5, my brothers and sisters had said some mean things to me and I ran to my room sat on the floor and cried, asked God to make me fall asleep, but not wake me up. I fell asleep and was awoken to church bells ringing, I looked out my window and saw the cross on the church blocks away. When I was 17 yrs old I was up late curling my hair, about 1am and a Gospel show was on television, and the preacher talked about Salvation, and how God loves me, preached on John 3:16. I didn't think much of it, normally would have changed the channel, but didn't. That night I said the prayer based on Romans 10:9. Didn't think much that either, didn't feel any different, just went on with my life. Maybe 2yrs after that I was in bed with my boyfreind, and felt an OVERWHELMING touch come over me, it was like my entire body was filled with love. Naturally I thought it was from my boyfreind, so I asked him, you love me don't you (that's how real it was) and he said, yes I love you--casually. I said, no--you really--really love me? And he again said casually, yes. I didn't ask him again, because his reaction didn't match the feeling I felt, so I knew that overwhelming feeling of love was not from him. I didn't go to church until later when I was invited to a revival at a coworker's church. Again, the preacher preached about Salvation--being saved, and God's love through Christ. That day I accepted Christ as my personal Saviour and my life has not been perfect, but I do have this "unspeakable joy." I sometimes think I am at an advantage over even other Christians because I have had other personal encounters with Christ just as evident as the ones I mentioned. Jesus is as real to me as any human being alive; for me the Gospel of Jesus Christ is not just Words in a book (bible); I believe with my whole heart and mind, and He manifests Himself to me in different ways... you have to have an open heart for Jesus, He won't force Himself on you, but His Word says, none who are His will be lost...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 1:52:30 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:41:41 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 2:10:51 PM PDT
Jack Vix says:
I don't understand how I misread. Mark 7:5-10 Jesus is criticized by the Pharisees for not washing his hands. He defends himself by attacking them for not killing disobedient children according to the commandment: "He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death" (see Ex.21:15, Lev.20:9, Dt.21:18-21)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 2:13:16 PM PDT
K. Collins says:
You're quite welcome, Jesus knows everyone won't believe in Him... He knows it's not easy for everyone to believe in something or Someone that they cannot see (John 20:29) or in Words (John 1:1) in a book that were touched by man, but how else would God communicate with us? Last time He wrote something Himself as far as I know was the 10 Commandments :0) ...In order to believe some need a touch or a sign or a even a WONDER! I was blessed to recieve that, but my heart was open to it... Jesus loves every last one of us, Believer and non-believer. If you choose to give Him a chance, really give Him a chance, He will show you for yourself...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 2:22:12 PM PDT
Jack Vix says:
I know, I get what you mean. It's true, but when you say "Christians"- it would be more accurate to say the church, that's all.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 2:23:15 PM PDT
"Jesus knows everyone won't believe in Him.."

I don't mean to trivialize your experience here, but how do you know it was Jesus, and not an angel? Angels are talked about in the bible, they could even be someone like a deceased family member.

It seems like if a person experiences something like you did, they automatically believe it was Jesus. This is just because of culture. If you had lived in another part of the world with no access to the bible then you would probably have said it was the spirit of a dead ancestor.

I know that if it happened to me the last person I would believe it was is Jesus. Unless he could produce some photo ID. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 3:14:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 24, 2012 3:39:56 PM PDT
roundaboutte says:
It seems to me you love Jesus But not the Church(administrators) Same as Jesus in Mark 7 He Loves the word but does not care for the administrators.True believers don't have to go to church to pray Jesus said go into your closet and pray let not your right hand know what the left is doing.Those that stand on the corner praying out loud have their reward.He said.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 3:42:58 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:41:51 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 3:49:21 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:41:57 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 3:50:56 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:42:02 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 3:51:23 PM PDT
I. Dunn says:
Jack Vix says:I don't understand how I misread. Mark 7:5-10 Jesus is criticized by the Pharisees for not washing his hands. He defends himself by attacking them for not killing disobedient children according to the commandment: "He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death" (see Ex.21:15, Lev.20:9, Dt.21:18-21)

You misread it nevertheless. Jesua was not attacking them for not killing disobedient children. I find it amazing that you could pull that out of those verses. What he says is, although you pharisees say you follow the Torah, and the Torah says honour your parents on pain of death, still you allow children to avoid supporting their aged parents by declaring their property Corban or devoted to God in stead of using it to support their parents (and presumably view this as a virtuous act).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 3:53:52 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:42:09 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 3:54:26 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:42:15 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 4:04:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 24, 2012 4:06:46 PM PDT
And the same is true when people see what looks like an image of a man or woman in the reflection of a window or in some other random object.

A person who is not familiar with Christianity will say, "Wow, that's weird, it looks just like a man's face." While the believer will say, "OMG, I just saw an image of Jesus!"

How do they know it's Jesus since they have never seen him in the flesh? It's just so well entrenched in their minds that the appearance of the face of a man = Jesus, and the appearance of the face of a woman = Virgin Mary.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 4:18:47 PM PDT
brunumb says:
Rolling stones: "How do they know it's Jesus since they have never seen him in the flesh?"

Maybe the indwelling Holy Spirit nudges their brain and says "Hey look, there's Jesus".

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 4:24:47 PM PDT
roundaboutte says:
The last supper was a very hard time for all.Even Though afterwards they sang hymns

Yes you are right. He said where two or more are gathered together in his name there he is also.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 4:45:31 PM PDT
Jack Vix says:
Mark 7:6-8
He [Jesus] replied, "Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you hypocrites, as it is written: "'These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain: their teachings are merely human rules.' You have let go of the command of God and are holding to human traditions."

It seems like he's being pretty clear to me. I know you're not a Christian but you sound like an apologist. It seems like a learned interpretation. Yes, corban is a human tradition and a way to avoid God's laws, which Jesus was criticising them for not upholding.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 5:07:36 PM PDT
G. Howard says:
There's a big difference in praying to be seen of men so they think your hot stuff and ultra spiritual, then praying from a true heart of sincerity. Jesus was rebuking their motive for praying.

A Christian life is one lived with an attitude, or heart of prayer.We should pray both individually and corporately, Jesus said we should always pray and not faint. Prayer is a very important exercise to a believer, it was an important part of the life of Jesus.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 5:19:09 PM PDT
brunumb says:
G. Howard: "Prayer is a very important exercise to a believer,..."

It helps to keep you from facing reality. It can also give you the feeling that you are doing something helpful when you are really doing nothing.

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 5:23:10 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:42:25 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 5:37:10 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:42:30 PM PST]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  79
Total posts:  3986
Initial post:  Sep 23, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions