Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

The bible is irrelevant......

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 426 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 4:06:57 PM PDT
Joe W says:
You know. Like Jesus tells you to not plan for those things in the Sermon on the Mount.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 4:07:26 PM PDT
BV says:
PJA - "offer me evidence that my day to day activities will be affected if I stop to ponder a God"

It won't make a difference what YOU do, and I can't offer evidence of what would happen if God said "I'm through with this bunch - I'm leaving."

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 4:08:01 PM PDT
Joe W says:
God says it. And Jesus is God, right?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 4:09:46 PM PDT
BV says:
JPL - "I am my own god."

Wow, good luck with that!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 4:18:09 PM PDT
BV says:
JoeW - "Like Jesus tells you to not plan for those things in the Sermon on the Mount."

He says don't WORRY about it, not don't plan for it. Some people obsess over hording things and they worry all the time about having enough, and it's just not good to live that way.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 4:19:46 PM PDT
BV says:
JoeW - "God says it. And Jesus is God, right?"

Perhaps the time for that had passed. Ask a Jew - it's in the OT after all. Maybe they have more insight.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 4:27:31 PM PDT
mrs exp says:
jpl,
We are asked to witness to others about out faith. This is why I participate in the forums.
exp

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 4:29:16 PM PDT
mrs exp says:
JoeW,
He said not to be anxious. See righteousness first and the others would be added. He also condemned those who didn't take care of their own families.
exp

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 4:42:29 PM PDT
Joe W says:
BV: He says don't WORRY about it, not don't plan for it. Some people obsess over hording things and they worry all the time about having enough, and it's just not good to live that way.

Joe: Have you read the Sermon on the Mount? For content? He is telling his audience not to concern themselves with food, drink or clothing. Explicitly and repeatedly. Hording is nowhere in there.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 4:46:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 11, 2012 4:49:40 PM PDT
Joe W says:
If someone advocates stoning one day, then advocates shunning the next, he has still advocated stoning as a moral course of action. Saying that "the time for that had passed" is not a mitigating factor. God/Jesus' setting stoning as the appropriate response to homosexuality is immoral. Heck, shunning as a response is still immoral.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 4:48:19 PM PDT
Joe W says:
Why shouldn't a person be anxious if he has cause? Telling someone lacking the resources to take care of himself or his family is cause to be anxious, and to worry, and to plan.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 5:06:21 PM PDT
BV says:
JoeW - "not to concern themselves with food, drink or clothing"

Yes, He says don't CONCERN yourselves. Concern means worry. And what do people do when they worry they might not have enough? They center their lives around obtaining stuff, including money. It's nice to have money and nice things, but don't center your life around it, like Ebineezer Scrooge!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 5:07:22 PM PDT
BV says:
JoeW - "Heck, shunning as a response is still immoral."

Who said anything about shunning? Jesus wasn't Amish!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 5:33:30 PM PDT
Joe W says:
BV: Yes, He says don't CONCERN yourselves. Concern means worry. And what do people do when they worry they might not have enough?

Joe: What do people do when they worry about not having enough food for their children. They worry. They get concerned. And they make an effort to get enough food. Again, you have shown me why that is a bad thing. And you certainly have not justified jumping from the average peasant worrying or being concerned for the welfare of his family to something so extreme as hoarding.

If he had meant do not be a miser, or a glutton, or that people should not obsess then he had words for that. Like miser, or glutton, or obsess. You are, so far as I can see, pulling the hoarding thing out of your butt. Cause it ain't in the SotM

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 5:38:16 PM PDT
Joe W says:
Humor?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 7:34:14 PM PDT
BV,
I may have not seen those.

That's probably a good thing ;-) LOL

Because of these zealot a lot of Christians are assumed to be literalist before anyone knows who they really are. Most are either attacking homosexuals or atheist. Attacking is the best work I can come up with because the there is no love in the posts; and when that is point out --- it appears to not be of interest.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 7:43:25 PM PDT
Bubba,

You said it better than I could. As for how many there are, I can't say what the percentage is in the general population of church goers, I do know that the there are many who are making a "clanging" noise. I don't think that the fact there there may only be just 5% that are on a crusade complete with violence is to be ignored either!

If I were to look at my own family tree, I might have to conclude that the percentage is approaching 50% --- most of them would tell you "gayness" was wrong, but they would also tell you that bullying and violence is not any less wrong!

To restate, any number of bullies or murders is significant, and is certainly not "Christ-like". I'm glad you are here to help explain what is being "preached" as, at a minimum, unfactual!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 7:46:24 PM PDT
Nancy,

At a minimum, I would hope for a "fair and balanced" (sorry 'bout that I couldn't help myself!) presentation of both good and evil.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 7:50:59 PM PDT
Vicki,

I'm not sure I made my point completely clear. I was trying to show you that there is a book you would not like to have someone telling you was "the truth", and yet you knew a different truth. It is hard to put yourself in another person's shoes, but non-believer had a problem with Christians saying that something is true because it is written in a book they think is fiction.

From your response it sounds like you can empathize, and would not like to be in that position either.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 7:52:57 PM PDT
Vicki,

Would you consider a theologian a philosopher? There are many "modern day" theologians that are not lost at all when it comes to the topic of God.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 7:57:17 PM PDT
BV,
Jesus wasn't Amish!
---------------------------

No, he was Jewish!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 7:58:54 PM PDT
JoeW,

Isn't shunning a form of "bullying"? It certainly isn't limited to the Amish community!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 8:04:45 PM PDT
Joe W says:
I assume that BV was making a joke by equivocating the generic use of "shun" with the Amish specific use.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 8:16:20 PM PDT
JoeW,

I actually thought it wasn't just a joke, but an more easily grasped concept!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 8:17:27 PM PDT
Joe W says:
Alas
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1052 5 days ago
My Mob's pub and coffee shop. Part the Eleventh 7249 30 seconds ago
What do "born agains" actually believe about Jesus? I am confused. Want to discuss. 8284 4 minutes ago
Catholic-Protestant Discussion Part XXXV 5924 12 minutes ago
Jesus never "died for our sins" 1493 19 minutes ago
Seven reasons Christianity is a false faith, based on a false god 264 29 minutes ago
Seventy weeks of Daniel 2 31 minutes ago
The Christ Myth: is it possible Jesus never existed? 539 31 minutes ago
Yes, There Are Women Priests, and The Vatican Wishes There Weren't 102 1 hour ago
Dispensations and the Gospels, Part Two 7061 2 hours ago
Part 2- the Newer Thread 9924 3 hours ago
The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints is Christian. 6045 3 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  40
Total posts:  426
Initial post:  Oct 10, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions