Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

Will Obama's victory weaken the Religious Right?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 345 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:11:58 PM PST
S. Kessler says:
Doc, try to wrap your head around the fact that government is the mechanism we use to, um, GOVERN ourselves in a civil society.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:13:36 PM PST
DocMMV says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:16:38 PM PST
Blu Boy says:
Doc,

Why not try to govern yourself with some reason?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:02:24 PM PST
DocMMV says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:58:46 PM PST
What, specifically, do you mean by "Religious Right"?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:30:15 AM PST
Bubba says:
What a difference a day makes; from that article "A day after his reelection triumph, President Obama returned to Washington on Wednesday to find top Republicans suddenly offering olive branches and talking about compromise." This "compromise" includes higher taxes.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:47:33 AM PST
Blu Boy says:
Doc,

Don't take this the wrong way but.... an old dead Jew is your reason?

I find your proposed 'reason' to be impossible and ridiculous.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 1:50:31 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 6, 2015 8:08:34 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 2:18:37 AM PST
Blu Boy says:
Kitties,

Do you base that on any reality or merely just your hopes?... Opps, sorry, I forgot that your hopes are your realities.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 2:53:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 2:55:27 AM PST
Ard Fhaidh says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 3:56:58 AM PST
RKG says:
no, people who espouse such ideas are being disingenuous and duplicitous. studies have shown they are not interested in helping the poor or the disenfranchised. this is just hot air that is spewed to make them seem less heinous. how much is enough? i get paid well into 6 figures and my effective tax rate has never been over 13%. could i pay more taxes? absolutely. would i mind paying more? Absolutely not? Why do some Christians get so caught up with money. Isn't God supposed to be faithful and take care of them?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 4:00:29 AM PST
RKG says:
glad that you say that. because i think most relgious rightist are the scum of the earth that will go the way of the dinosaurs. studies have proved that they are the dumbest and most bigoted and xenophbic amongst us. such characterstics will only result in inbreeding and eventually extinction.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 4:08:33 AM PST
RKG says:
i have given this some further thought. i think the republican party must come to realize that if they wish to win general elections they will have to understand that there is a browning of the population and that extremism that exclude everybody but white folks is doomed to failure. People are generally conservative but not to the extremists level that the religious rightist have become.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 6:45:10 AM PST
DocMMV says:
Dead?
I have good news for you Boy: Jesus is alive and well and seated in majesty as the right hand of God. All judgment over Man and Earth has been entrusted to Him because of His victory. Even death itself must bow before Him.
Dead? No, Boy, very much alive!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 8:17:55 AM PST
M. Simonson says:
"The Catholic Church has no opposition to natural birth control."

That reminds me of a joke I heard in good old Government sponsored sex education courtesy of our Public School system ....

Q - What do you call people who use the rhythm method?

A - Parents

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 9:08:33 AM PST
JJB: The "religious right" is largely a myth. A random sample of self professing Christians nationwide will reveal a very wide range of opinions on the issues. Obviously, lots of Christians in Virginia, Ohio, NH, Colorado, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Nevada voted for Obama. Obama successfully convinced them that a guy like Romney could only make money if he was a crook and a tax cheater. That is the particular brand of "extremism" that determined the outcome of this election, not this nonsense that only old white guys ever benefit from fiscal conservatism

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 10:39:48 AM PST
witchie+ says:
Our tax rates are higher than yours and would be even higher, but we have a rental that loses money due to being unable to find renters on the market because of indoor marijuana grows. If we put the property on the market, it would probably be destroyed by marijuana growers, so we rent it only to those we know we can trust.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:04:24 PM PST
Craig says:
First of all Kathleen, please don't think I feel that way, I'm just trying to explain someone elses statement that you said you didn't understand.

Christians are supposed to be the salt of the earth. Salt flavors and is also a preservative. I think who ever it was originally that made the comment about the salt being tossed out, was implying that a Liberal Christian is one who's salt has lost it's flavor or usefulness. Again though, I do not agree with that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:24:53 PM PST
mrs exp says:
Kathleen M Pelley,
I don't know about my soul, but when I have my resurrection body I will be me a female.
exp

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:25:58 PM PST
mrs exp says:
Kathleen M Pelley,
Point taken, but it seems awkward to me.
exp

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:35:40 PM PST
Craig says:
mrs exp says: "when I have my resurrection body I will be me a female."

What do you base that on?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:38:36 PM PST
mrs exp says:
Craig,
It has been the belief of Jews and is the general tenor of the Bible. We will still be ourselves.
exp

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:43:49 PM PST
Craig says:
When the Sadducees questioned Jesus about the resurrection He indicated people will be like the Angels and will not marry. I don't believe there is gender in the spiritual realm. If there is it will be like we are both male and female, that is my opinion. I am a male by birth, but I know I am a very female human being, I was probably female in other lives.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 1:23:56 PM PST
M. Simonson says:
"When the Sadducees questioned Jesus about the resurrection He indicated people will be like the Angels and will not marry."

The passages sometimes used are the transfiguration in Matthew 17 where Moses and Elijah show up and are identifiable as Moses and Elijah. Also in reference is the resurrected body of Christ as an example and Christ is able to do some unusual things like in John 20 19-20.
Angels are not portrayed as ethereal spirits but seem to have angelic bodies. But having a body can also be viewed as having a limit to the presence and form as opposed to the all-present nature of God. In John 3:2 we are told "it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is".
So that one is often tied in with a picture of the resurrected body of Christ but seems to suggest we will see beyond current physical limits. We also have some passages referencing a "new body".

We have to be careful and respectful because this is one of God's mysteries but many think the sum of all those passages talk about a new but transformed bodily presence. The idea that spirits float around in ethereal near-nothingness comes from pagan ideas and not Judeo-Christian teachings.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 1:33:14 PM PST
Kathleen M. Pelley: Total taxes as a percent of income is NOT lower than the 1950's. Saying the same thing over and over again does not make it true. You cannot say you are concerned about the elderly and disabled today to such an extreme that you collapse the entire economy so that tomorrow's elderly and disabled die on the street. America has limited means so we have to provide limited entitlements.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1197 13 days ago
My Mob's pub and coffee shop, Part the Twelfth 550 6 seconds ago
Outside of the your feelings, do any of you fundamentalist atheists have personal that atheism is true? 437 3 minutes ago
The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints is Christian. 7679 4 minutes ago
This is why atheism is growing throughout the world... 191 7 minutes ago
Transgender Individuals 7439 15 minutes ago
Planned Parenthood of Utah parodies an iconic Mormon Church chasity symbol 0 19 minutes ago
If a man dies will he live again? Or, is physical death the end? 1079 32 minutes ago
The Historical Jesus 8658 32 minutes ago
Jesus never "died for our sins" 3470 46 minutes ago
moment-of-broken-ness, part 2 9667 58 minutes ago
Mary was not sinless. 7006 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  345
Initial post:  Nov 7, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions