Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

Suicide of Jesus was against Jewish Law

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 9:12:53 AM PST
RS: If a person knows their fate in advance, as Jesus did, but instead of escaping the city to escape their fate, they ride into the city knowing full well they will be killed then it is a suicide.

BPL: Most people have more reasonable definitions of suicide.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 11:15:03 AM PST
Jack Vix says:
"Peter Pan's not a story. Educate yourself ya fool!"

Ummmm ok.

Oh, I'm missing the finer point, right? Mythologies are nothing like stories, how dumb of me, you're right, religion/folklore/mythology it's not just made up stories analogous to peter pan. I see so clearly now.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 11:16:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2012 11:18:09 AM PST
Jack Vix says:
Oh, you're a troll. Big surprise, in this forum.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 12:40:58 PM PST
Jack, do me a favor--never major in cultural anthropology. I can see you doing an ethnography, right up to the time you tell the villagers their most sacred religious stories are "just stories, like Peter Pan."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 12:50:55 PM PST
Mens Sana says:
Sarah was unwell for a while, but now seems to have gone on a forum vacation. Occasionally, I am able to send her an article or book reference and she replies within a day or so.

By the way, she was quite enthusiastic about the last academic reference I sent her:
Forgery and Counterforgery: The Use of Literary Deceit in Early Christian Polemics

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 12:56:24 PM PST
B. Banks says:
Jesus, did not kill HIMSELF; HE didn't hang HIMSELF, on the tree!
However, HE did become sin (which is death); Satan didn't understand that death had no hold on an innocent man.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 1:01:14 PM PST
If Jesus didn't die on the cross he would have died anyway, just like everyone else.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 1:44:29 PM PST
George Howard conducted a pretty thorough investigation, and concluded that Shem Tob's Hebrew Matthew is derived from early Jewish sources, not Latin or Greek ones. It predates Greek Matthew for a whole lot of reasons, which I'm not going into, because you don't care to learn about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 1:44:44 PM PST
Whoosh. Over your head.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 1:50:42 PM PST
Lily,

This makes little sense. What kind of a "sacrifice" is it if Jesus goes where he wants to be anyway? What is so great about this world? He couldn't even enjoy sex. He had no wife. What kind of life did he have here? A lot of us don't see dying as a sacrifice. In the Gospel of Judas, for example, scholars are saying the reason Judas "exceeds them all" is because he did Jesus a favor turning him in so he could be released from his body, which gnostics think is a prison.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 1:52:08 PM PST
You just now figured him out? :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 1:53:47 PM PST
Well, if death has "no hold on an innocent man" what is 'the sacrifice'?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 1:57:29 PM PST
Right! It's all so silly.Such a big deal, "giving his life" for me... He would DIE anyway! Oh -- maybe the Christians have another view on that. He would have lived on here FOREVER. (scratching head) ummm, I don't get this....

He gave his "Life" -- his Spirit -- to others at Baptism. It is now called "initiation". THAT is what he "gave". He didn't give us his DEATH. Where does he say that?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 3:13:32 PM PST
sahansdal says:
<<Re Paul: I think that is usually regarded as "by tradition". What is your source?

But it was condemnation for BLASPHEMY, for which people were STONED, not crucified.>>

I do not have Paul's death certificate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_paul#Arrest_and_death

Also, I made no reference to "BLASPHEMY." I wrote: "Again, it seems quite plausible that the disturbances created by Jesus, during Passover, were such that the Roman authorities condemned him to be crucified."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 4:27:48 PM PST
Jack Vix says:
"just now figured him out"

implying I was trying before - i don't always pay attention to every poster to notice

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 4:32:21 PM PST
No more so than the soldier who dashes into enemy fire to rescue his wounded buddy and is killed in the process.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 5:43:21 PM PST
Kevin Bold says:
An excellent analogy...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 5:52:37 PM PST
S. Kessler says:
I highly recommend the Paperwhite if your primary intention is to read books. It's the best Kindle e-ink reader yet. And definitely get the Kindle case designed expressly for it. Amazon truly got it right this time.

I don't mind the ads. I only see them when I open the cover which wakes the Paperwhite up. Once you swipe across to open it, you see no ads.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 5:54:42 PM PST
S. Kessler says:
If he loves us so much, then all he has to do is forgive us. No fathering god babies. No torturing and killing his son. No sending people to hell. He's all powerful. He could just forgive humanity for whatever trespasses he imagined we made.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 5:55:58 PM PST
S. Kessler says:
If Jesus was inciting insurrection during Passover, maybe. Otherwise, no.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 7:01:54 PM PST
Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 7:07:46 PM PST
saha, Actually, Jesus didn't take His life, but He allowed His life to be taken by those who killed Him. There is a big difference! Peace always in the Most Precious Blood of Christ

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 7:09:13 PM PST
I know you didn't. The story is well known, however. His trial before the High Priest and chief priests ended in condemnation for blasphemy. Why was he not therefore stoned, instead of crucified? Pilate didn't condemn him at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 7:10:34 PM PST
I don't see it. Not if he could have prevented it, which he certainly could have.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 7:15:07 PM PST
saha, He could have indeed, (Matthew 26:53), but instead, He allowed those who hated Him to freely kill him as they desired,although He did not ask to be killed, they freely killed Him of THEIR own will, and He thus took all the anger and hate they gave Him. Peace always in the Most Precious Blood of Christ
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  44
Total posts:  1064
Initial post:  Dec 9, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions