Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

Can the Christian Belief System be seen as full of double talk?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 3:48:36 AM PDT
BV says:
Anne - "Look at the title of this thread. It is about "the Christian Belief system."
It is not about Jesus. That should be obvious."

They are one and the same, unless you have decided to go by what are the most "popular" applications, as demonstrated by people like Pat Robertson, Joel Osteen, Benny Hinn, or most everything else you see in the media.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 3:50:28 AM PDT
BV says:
Anne - "Much of the Belief System as it is today is based not on the Jesus of
Scripture but on the writings of Paul."

Many people seem to be under the delusion that what Paul taught was not the same as what Jesus taught.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 3:55:19 AM PDT
BV says:
Rolling - "Do you accept the authority of the church or not? When do they speak on behalf of your Lord Jesus and when do they not?"

I can't speak for Matt B. I believe that when the "church" says what's in the scriptures they are speaking for Jesus. When they say it's a sin to eat meat on a Friday during lent, it's pretty obvious that's not in the scriptures, but some people will accept it anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 3:58:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 25, 2012 4:17:10 AM PDT
BV says:
Jack - The Pharisees were the disobedient children. They apparently were witholding money that was supposed to be for helping their elderly parents with the excuse that it was for the temple.

Ed. - I just saw a few others already answered this one.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 4:02:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 25, 2012 4:03:35 AM PDT
Joe W says:
Where is the evidence of that? And even if that were so, shouldn't Jesus still have washed his hands?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 4:08:49 AM PDT
A customer says:
According to the Bible, Jesus died for us so that we are not condemned by the law and his blood washes away our sin. I have not seen any case that the law justifies anyone as clean.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 4:16:52 AM PDT
Bohemian Man says:
BV says "You are judging an entire belief system based on what you learned from a bunch of self-rightous poseurs".

Not so. I fellowshipped with many various breeds and flavors of Christianity. I knew many sincere and happy Christians as well as miserable and unhappy ones.

In my post I was commenting on the disillusion many converts felt when being sold a bill of goods and then learning that there was more to the package than just the fancy wrapping.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 4:21:00 AM PDT
BV says:
Bo Man - "there was more to the package than just the fancy wrapping."

You mean like they were going to have to make some changes in their lives, changes they weren't prepared to make?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 4:23:32 AM PDT
BV says:
Joe - "Where is the evidence of that?"

Anne and someone else explained that.

If Jesus' hand were dirty I'm sure he would have washed them. It's possible they all did just before they got there. The Pharisees were talking about ceremonial washing.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 4:31:29 AM PDT
A customer says:
How is it that THEY have to make changes in their lives, when it is God that makes the changes. That is man that makes the changes and nobody can be good enough to ever arrive

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 4:33:22 AM PDT
Joe W says:
BV: Anne and someone else explained that.

Joe: No. What they debated was what was meant in the story. They did not show evidence that the pharisees actually wore black hats, twirled their waxed moustaches and laughed maniacally.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 4:37:04 AM PDT
Bohemian Man says:
BV,

No. I mean like learning that their depression wasn't going away simply by praying about it. Some of these converts were MORE than willing to change their lives and WANTED to do whatever was needed to be a good Christian.

I am always amazed how believers will try to put the blame on the sincere victim in these situations instead of realizing that Christianity simply does not work for everybody.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 4:39:14 AM PDT
A customer says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 4:44:41 AM PDT
Bohemian Man says:
Anne Rice,

I know from experience, your statements are true.

Have you read my story "A BOHEMIAN TESTIMONY"?

I'll bump the post up for you.

I wrote it back in 2008 after being asked about my reasons for leaving the faith.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 5:51:29 AM PDT
BV says:
B Man - " like learning that their depression wasn't going away simply by praying about it."

Well that's poor advice.

"Christianity simply does not work for everybody."

Christianity, or any faith for that matter, isn't supposed to be something that "works" for an individual's purpose. A person is supposed to follow their faith because they believe it to be true.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 5:53:58 AM PDT
BV says:
Joe - "They did not show evidence that the pharisees actually wore black hats, twirled their waxed moustaches and laughed maniacally."

Well there was that time they tied Mary to the train tracks, or maybe that was a different story.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 6:11:59 AM PDT
Joe W says:
But I cant pay the rent!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 6:46:59 AM PDT
Brian Curtis says:
You MUST pay the rent!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 8:35:06 AM PDT
BV says:
Or marry me!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 8:45:50 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:43:52 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 8:46:15 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:43:57 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 9:13:59 AM PDT
G. Howard says:
No,I've been sealed with the holy Spirit of promise just like every other believer. Like I said follow the recipe and do what the author tells you, and you can know before you die also.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 9:39:16 AM PDT
Lao Tzu says:
Anne Rice, it is interesting to see your progression from deep christian, to liberal christian, to perhaps... deist now?

Your post certainly shows that you reject the bible story for the evil it is.

Have you become an atheist? I am one, but I don't need you to be one, I am just curious. To me, it seemed like an inevitable, logical conclusion.

For me, once you realize you live in a natural world, there is nothing that requires strenuous and twisted explanation (well of course gawd could fix that, but that would impact faith, and gawd prefers faith over knowing, etc.)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 9:45:39 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:44:03 PM PST]

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 10:03:05 AM PDT
G. Howard says:
A natural world were chemicals have evolved to give us all a conscience.

A natural world were people spend hours arguing they know the truth, like that should matter if it came to us naturally.

A natural world that has been fine tuned.

A natural world that has hate in it.

A natural world that has a sense of justice.

A natural world that has love.

A natural world in which the magic ingredient is time, enough of it and all these things, and many more are possible as long as it doesn't involve any being that we may have to answer to one day.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  79
Total posts:  3986
Initial post:  Sep 23, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions