Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

Can Someone Explain Fundamental Christianity's Belief That They Have A Right To Have Their Belief Endorsed By The Government?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 258 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2011 5:34:59 PM PDT
A customer says:
"For the time being, that is. . ."

Yeah, what's with that? Christians make up some 75% of the population, you yourself admit that you are the majority, yet many like to play at being opressed martyrs. Go figure.

"We're doing a lot more than pouting (which is mostly a liberal tactic). We're organizing."

Organizing? Organiz*ing*? You've been organized for nearly 2,000 years.

Still, we have this nifty piece of paper.

It's cute, you're arguing with me for saying that some Christians want special treatment, by making it clear you want special treatment.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2011 5:37:47 PM PDT
Bubba says:
Homosexuals were also put into concentration camps, there were a few survivors - and all of them had had their rectums mutilated while they were imprisoned.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2011 5:39:30 PM PDT
Kevin Bold says:
Personally, I prefer the one the British sang about Hitler's undescended testicle (how did they find out about that?); due to the "inappropriate" subject matter, the British merely whistled the tune in the movie, "The Bridge over the River Kwai".

HITLER
has only got one ball,
GOERING
has two, but very small
HIMMLER
is rather sim'lar, and
GOEBBELS
has no balls at all. . .

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2011 5:45:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 14, 2011 5:46:52 PM PDT
Bubba says:
I don't think that most atheists have a problem with Christmas trees in public places, none of the atheists I know have a problem with them. Blatantly religious displays, such as nativity scenes and menorahs in publicly owned spaces ARE a problem, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2011 6:39:50 PM PDT
TO: Bubba

RE: "Homosexuals were also put into concentration camps..."

I'm not arguing with you. Concentration camp inmates also included Gypsies, criminals, Jehovah's Witnesses, people with disabilities, Soviet POWs, Freemasons, etc., etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2011 11:34:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 14, 2011 11:41:40 PM PDT
W. Martins says:
Kevin Bold: In response to the statement that Christians want preferential treatment you reply:

"No, atheists do. Despite being a minority, they want the power to force the Christian majority to have "Winter" concerts instead of "Christmas" concerts. And thanks to the ACLU (one of those atheist organizations the OP author won't admit exists), they get their way."

Are you really that obtuse? Atheists and liberal minded individuals and groups do not want to force anyone to conform to any philosophy; at their foundation is the right to think for oneself. The ACLU is not an atheistic organization, its purpose is to assure that minorities and minority rights are not violated by the majority who wish to impose their beliefs. What fundamental Christians are not allowed to do is use the instruments of government to advance a particular religious view. Christmas is most assuredly tied to Christ, therefore religious displays of Christmas on public grounds paid for and maintained by government or events supported by government funding are not allowed. You can have a Christmas concert every day of the year and twice on Sunday so long as it is not presented by government or directly paid for by government. So no Silent Night in the public park by the city paid symphony. That doesn't mean that the privately sponsored Boston Pops can't have their annual Christmas Concerts. Why is this so hard for you to understand???

I think you can't get over the phrase "majority rules." Try this on for size, "the majority rules, but cannot suppress, repress or trample the rights of minorities nor can it impose its philosophies on society as a whole." That is one of the basic underpinnings of our Constitutional form of government.

Look at it another way. How would you feel if your tax dollars were spent on putting up displays in your city's public park depicting the life of the Prophet Mohammed during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan? How about a Hindu tableau of the various gods associated with that religion put up at public expense in the public high school cafeteria? Get it now? Probably not!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 2:53:05 AM PDT
Kevin Bold says:
W. Martins said: Why is this so hard for you to understand???

Why is it so hard for you to understand that it doesn't stop there?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 3:09:18 AM PDT
Probably because it does stop there, thanks in large part to that horrible ACLU.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 5:07:21 AM PDT
Brian Curtis says:
How is it preferential treatment to insist that government stay out of religion? That's what the Constitution REQUIRES it to do.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 5:08:44 AM PDT
Brian Curtis says:
"We're doing a lot more than pouting (which is mostly a liberal tactic). We're organizing."

Yes, there are many such anti-American organizations already in place. And they will never, NEVER succeed in turning this great country into a Christian nation.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 6:43:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 15, 2011 6:44:01 AM PDT
Kevin Bold says:
It would help immensely if you knew what the "it" under discussion is: namely, the liberal left's efforts to shove its idiotic opinions down the rest of the country's throat.

It's been going on since the 1960's, W. Martins' historical fantasies aside. Lately it's been most successful at college campi, where "anti-hate speech" codes flourish ("hate speech" is anything the Left finds offensive), and every religious student group EXCEPT THE CHRISTIANS get funding through the student activities fees.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 7:05:39 AM PDT
<<<< No, atheists do. Despite being a minority, they want the power to force the Christian majority to have "Winter" concerts instead of "Christmas" concerts. And thanks to the ACLU (one of those atheist organizations the OP author won't admit exists), they get their way. >>>>

That's simply not true. Any church or private organization can produce "Christmas" concerts. Other churches or groups might choose to put on a Saturnalia concert or a Kwanzaa concert, or a Hanukkah concert. Unfortunately, sometimes public schools produce such concerts without taking others into consideration. It is offensive to Jews, Pagans, and atheists to title winter concerts as "Christmas," in a public millieu, however. It takes nothing away from Christians to refer to a winter concert as such, considering the other celebrations that occur at that time of year. You don't hear Roman Pagans demanding that it be called a Saturnalia concert, even though that is an older holiday. It's a simple matter of respect and courtesy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 7:15:06 AM PDT
<<<< But not their unborn babies, obviously. . . >>>>

It's not a matter of babies, it's a matter of a pregnancy that may or may not produce a live birth. You shouldn't even consider bestowing rights on a pregnancy that supercede those of the woman, unless you hate women and consider them of no value. You can refer to fetuses as you wish, I certainly referred to my fetuses as my babies before they were born, but those are anticipatory words, like referring to a pregnant woman as a mother-to-be rather than a mother. My husband made it clear that my life was more important than a pregnancy.

Posted on Jul 15, 2011 7:16:22 AM PDT
". . .that want practices in public to be inclusive of people from all cultures and faiths."

<<<< As long as they're not Christian. >>>>

How exactly does referring to a public winter concert not include Christians?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 8:03:24 AM PDT
Vicki says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 8:41:13 AM PDT
I guess conservatives will have to 'start' staying away from college campuses. After all, who needs to peruse the entire history of human thought and debate issues with a diverse selection of their peers in order to come to a conclusion? All you have to do is listen to Rush Limbaugh and go to church, right? And if you never ever ever change, God will love you more, defender of the faith.

Civil liberties are idiotic opinions?

As far as I know you're still allowed to say any horrible thought that won't leave the merry-go-round that is your mind, unless you are voluntarily someplace that has every right to establish its own code of conduct. What is this country coming to when you can't even be a good old fashioned racist anymore, eh?

Countries don't have throats.

Tighty Righties get put on Ignore by this guy, especially those that sound like petulant children. click.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 8:48:31 AM PDT
catwoman says:
Extremely well-said!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 2:39:53 PM PDT
Kevin Bold says:
Vivian Darkbloom says: I guess conservatives will have to 'start' staying away from college campuses.

On the contrary -- that's where we need to be to fight the Left!

"After all, who needs to peruse the entire history of human thought and debate issues with a diverse selection of their peers in order to come to a conclusion?"

It's the Left who's trying to quash the debate.

"Civil liberties are idiotic opinions?"

No, liberal positions are.

"What is this country coming to when you can't even be a good old fashioned racist anymore, eh?"

This position, for example: "Anyone who disagrees with me is a racist".

"Countries don't have throats."

It's called "metaphor". If you were smart, you'd know that.

"Tighty Righties get put on Ignore by this guy. . ."

Because, at the moment, that's the worst you can do, my petulant child.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 2:50:57 PM PDT
Vicki

If people wish to sing christmas carols in the park nobody will stop them. If them local government hires the singers to do this, it is a violation of the Constitution. If town hall or the police and fire stations put up nativity scenes it is a violation of the Constitution. If the mayor, police and fire chiefs put them on their lawns, it is not illegal. In fact, christians always have something to say if they have to share public property with wiccans or atheists. So they are a bit hypocritcal, nobody has the right to the solstice season except christians.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 5:16:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 15, 2011 5:17:49 PM PDT
A customer says:
Unless I'm mistaken, Kevin is Catholic, a member of one of the most organized and powerful religions the world has ever seen, so I got a good laugh when he talked about "organizing," as if good ol' home grown Christians we're starting a grass roots movement to oppose us godless heathens who want to take this country from all the proper, God-fearing Christians.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 10:46:02 PM PDT
Allan says:
"Why do fundamental Christian believe they should be able, through government action, to impose their beliefs on the society as a whole."
''If you think it's wrong to murder, defraud, kidnap, or steal, and that these activities should be illegal, then they've already done it.''

Allan: Those moral/legal strictures are the direct result of the millions of years of evolution which have resulted in the Homo sapiens Great Ape, a tribal/social animal which has learned to define behaviours which support and those which harm the tribe.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 10:52:14 PM PDT
Allan says:
Kevin Bold says: W. Martins says: "There is no God" is not atheistic dogma; dogma by primary definition is a religious belief and atheism is the absence of religion so it has no dogma.

Circular reasoning if I ever saw it.

Allan: I know I have Buckley's chance, but will still ask you to explain this.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 10:55:30 PM PDT
Allan says:
''Then read Triumph: The Power and the Glory of the Catholic Church, How The Catholic Church Built Western Civilization...''

On the foundation of Greek learning as passed on to it by the great Islamic and Jewish scholars, Kevin.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 10:59:08 PM PDT
Allan says:
''I kind of like government imposing Christian morals, such as making child molestation and incest illegal, murder illegal, etc. Gotta love it!''

The USA education system has a lot to answer for.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 11:04:39 PM PDT
Allan says:
'(struggling to keep a straight face)

Do you have any evidence at all for your assertion, Brutegal, that ''Hitler denounced his Catholicism when still a young teenager''?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  35
Total posts:  258
Initial post:  Jul 9, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions