Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

The parables Jesus told

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 471 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 11:37:36 AM PDT
Nancy Davison: Doctrine being "dim and depressing" is an irrelevent subjective opinion. Doctrine is either "true" or "untrue." Perhaps you have lived a life filled with love, affection, and security. Perhaps you are just not old enough to have ever known the depth and breadth of sin (either your own of other people's sin.)

The New Testament is the LEAST shaky text of the first century by far. Scrolls were copied and recopied from Egypt to Greece, Italy, Spain and Eastward to Turkey and all the Russian provinces. The content about Jesus and the miracles, teachings, parables, death, and resurrection are remarkably intact over all those thousands of miles over 20 centuries.

Do you consider Plato's "Republic" to be as shaky or do you simply take it for granted that a guy named Plato said all of that and his student Socrates wrote it down?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 11:53:23 AM PDT
Iatric says:
Good luck with that...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 12:06:02 PM PDT
horse -- wow, what made you change ?

To be blunt: I was shown that I was on my way to hell.

horse -- where in the bible does that spirit thing confirm anything?

(John 16:12-15)

12 "I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.
13 However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come.
14 HE WILL GLORIFY ME, for He will take of what is Mine and DECLARE IT TO YOU.
15 All things that the Father has are Mine. Therefore I said that He will take of Mine and declare it to you.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 12:13:17 PM PDT
No. I do not hear voices. Though at one time I really kind of expected to. But 15 years now since God grabbed my attention , nary an audible voice.

horse -- how does He do that

He imparts an accurate understanding of the Bible.

horse -- how do you know

I know because my view of the Bible is radically different from my previous view. Irreconcilably different. For one I used to think Jesus was a wise and enlightened teacher, now I know that Jesus is God Himself.

horse -- why should we believe you

You shouldn't believe me. You need to KNOW for yourself. John 4 records Jesus meeting a Samaritan woman at a well. She comes to know that Jesus is the Christ and she tells other Samaritans. Here is what John 4:39-42 concludes:

39 And many of the Samaritans of that city believed in Him because of the word of the woman who testified, "He told me all that I ever did." 40 So when the Samaritans had come to Him, they urged Him to stay with them; and He stayed there two days.
41 And many more believed because of His own word.
42 Then they said to the woman, "Now we believe, not because of what YOU said, for WE OURSELVES HAVE HEARD HIM and we KNOW that this is indeed the Christ, the Savior of the world."

You can KNOW as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 12:15:08 PM PDT
ND -- I have a very different concept of it than you do.

And the two concepts are irreconcilable. One of them is wrong, they cannot both me correct. So, how do we determine which is accurate?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 12:34:46 PM PDT
Astrocat says:
Jeremy, I don't think we have to "determine which is accurate". If your system works for you, go for it. My understanding works for me, and is corroborated by the correspondences which link it to many other systems.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 12:38:49 PM PDT
ND -- Jeremy, I don't think we have to "determine which is accurate".

If the outcome is affected by the reality of Who or what the Holy Spirit is, then I think we do. If one conclusion leads to a good place and the other leads to a bad place, who or what the Holy Spirit is is vital.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 12:41:10 PM PDT
YIGT says:
The problem with that nancy is that as a Christian I believe that Jesus is the only way. You pick him or you dont there is no blending with Jesus and the Bible. At least not in Gods eyes.

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 1:08:42 PM PDT
Mr.Gatz says:
The Prodigal son is indeed my absolute favorite parable.
To me, it relates so perfectly and I love God for not only receiving me once again, but running to my side to love me and be excited for me. God is our biggest fan, and I am a pretty big fan of His as well :)

I remember a song by the artist Lecrae, he writes :

"I'm a F-A-N-A-T-I-C , Fanatic! I rep Christ till I D-I-E, Fanatic! I'm not extreme I'm redeemed with Faith to serve a God whose extremely great, I'm a Fanatic!"

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 1:18:53 PM PDT
Astrocat says:
Yo, that's your right, surely, to think that way and to live your life that way. I choose not to live my life that way, and not to accept the Bible as a literal history of anything.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 1:28:03 PM PDT
YIGT says:
Thats perfectly ok I dont care how anybody lives their life im sorry you feel that way and would wish you made a different choice but it is your eternity to spend how you see fit.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 2:14:32 PM PDT
if it was DECLARED to you
can you show us the memo

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 4:23:05 PM PDT
Vicki says:
Dear James,

You said :"Having now identified the central issue (snobbish dissatisfaction), and context for the parable (those cynical of Jesus' message), we are now in a position to properly interpret it. I was intended to teach that if the elite expect to become citizens of the Kingdom, they must realize they are no better than the lowly in God's eye, and their required repentance is to embrace and act on this fact without resentment. This same reversal of social priority in the Kingdom was taught by several other of Jesus' parables and discourses, and explicitly stated in Matthew's closing verse, "the last will be first, and the first last." [Matthew 20:16] Such is the meaning intended by Jesus to those he lectured, as contrasted by numerous later explanations propounded by the Christian Church."

Thank-you, James. I can only agree with what you have written. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 4:25:10 PM PDT
Vicki says:
Dear andthehorse,

I think if you read over the parable, you will find that the man was angry that his servant had been lazy- that he had not worked, as the others had.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 4:38:27 PM PDT
Vicki says:
Dear Mr. Gatz,

You said :"I love God for not only receiving me once again, but running to my side to love me and be excited for me."

I can relate to that!

Didn't Jesus say that there is more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent?

I like the song.:)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 4:48:39 PM PDT
Vicki says:
Dear Nancy,

You said :"Vicki, pretty much. I wouldn't use the word "conspiracy", but rather would say that these people were so jazzed by the reiteration of these very old stories that they went beyond the bounds of truth to concoct something that would have people believing what they wanted them to believe. So they made these events out to be literally, physically true, rather than allegorically, metaphorically true. And there is a huge difference..... "

I have to agree with what N.T.Wright says about the theory that the Gospels were just concocted by Jesus' followers-

Historically, all the lines point back not to a puzzled and saddened early church recovering its nerve and invernting such a Jesus out of thin air, but to Jesus himself, a completely credible first-century Jew who nevertheless burst the boundaries of all expectations and lived and died in the belief that he was embodying the returning, rescuing, royal mission of Israel's God."

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 5:33:09 PM PDT
Vicki,

Thanks for your concurrence. I enjoy fathoming historical Jesus in his first century culture, tensions, and expectations.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 5:45:55 PM PDT
Astrocat says:
Yes, it is my "eternity" isn't it? I guess I'll spend the next few centuries of it (given, of course, that there's no time on the inner planes, but oh, well) reincarnating in a variety of personalities, gaining knowledge, wisdom, and lots and lots of experience before I get on to the next plane of consciousness. That's okay, life on Earth has been very informative and will no doubt continue to be, with lots of events to live through during the Aquarian Age.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 5:48:51 PM PDT
Astrocat says:
Vicki, the teachings I've been practicing for nearly forty years are very close to what you indicated in your last paragraph. That is that Jesus was overshadowed by the Christ Entity, and was bringing the ancient truths into new light. The gospels were, though, as indicated, put together by his followers to try and modernize the ancient mythologies. So while they're not really lies, they were never meant to taken as historical fact.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2012 6:36:39 AM PDT
Vicki says:
Dear Nancy,

You said :"the teachings I've been practicing for nearly forty years are very close to what you indicated in your last paragraph. That is that Jesus was overshadowed by the Christ Entity"

No, you have misunderstood Wright's paragraph that I quoted. He is not saying anything even close to "Jesus was overshadowed by the Christ Entity". That is your interpretation, through your own spiritual practice.

You said :"The gospels were, though, as indicated, put together by his followers to try and modernize the ancient mythologies. So while they're not really lies, they were never meant to taken as historical fact."

On what do you base this conclusion?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2012 7:57:48 AM PDT
Iatric says:
Idolatry, to believe in a god of one's own making. All views of God could be wrong, but they can't all be right.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2012 11:55:08 AM PDT
Astrocat says:
Vicki, what I meant was that, from your remarks below...

"Historically, all the lines point back not to a puzzled and saddened early church recovering its nerve and invernting such a Jesus out of thin air, but to Jesus himself, a completely credible first-century Jew who nevertheless burst the boundaries of all expectations and lived and died in the belief that he was embodying the returning, rescuing, royal mission of Israel's God."

was that I also think that Jesus believed "he was embodying the....mission of Israel's God." It's just that my understanding is that he knew he was not the Christ, but allowed the Christ to use his personality for that mission.

The fact (imo) is that the gospels are speaking of the ancient mythologies of Osiris/Horus/Isis, as well as Shiva/Vishnu/Brahma. They were explaining how those mythologies had been brought to life with the advent of the Christ Entity through the personality of "His" disciple, Jesus.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2012 11:56:18 AM PDT
Astrocat says:
Iatric, could you explain what you mean by your remarks on idolatry?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2012 2:38:21 PM PDT
Vicki says:
Dear Nancy,

I see by your clarification that I completely misunderstood your previous reference to "ancient mythologies". (I thought you were referring to ancient Jewish beliefs).

You said :"The fact (imo) is that the gospels are speaking of the ancient mythologies of Osiris/Horus/Isis, as well as Shiva/Vishnu/Brahma. They were explaining how those mythologies had been brought to life with the advent of the Christ Entity through the personality of "His" disciple, Jesus. "

So, when you read the Gospels and come across Jesus referring to "the Father", do you think that he is speaking about the Christ Entity?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2012 2:48:06 PM PDT
Astrocat says:
No, not the Christ Entity, but the Monad. The correspondences would be:

Father/Son/Holy Spirit
Monad/Christ/Personality
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  33
Total posts:  471
Initial post:  Oct 8, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions