Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

Is there anywhere we can post that won't be attacked by atheists?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 415 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:20:01 PM PST
King's Kid says:
I have NEVER threatened anyone with damnation. I don't believe in it. So you've lied about me again and again. I don't know why I haven't ignored you already, but you're on really thin ice.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:20:22 PM PST
witchie+ says:
Not all Christians even believe in hell.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:21:32 PM PST
King's Kid says:
Listen here pookie. If you don't know what you're talking about, it would be much better for you to keep your fingers off the keyboard.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:24:00 PM PST
witchie+ says:
King, you can put me on "ignore". That way, I don't have to put up with your claiming you don't believe in hell, but then say that those who don't follow your rules have "eternal death", whatever that means. What is the difference between "hell" and "eternal death"?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:25:13 PM PST
witchie+ says:
My name is not pookie. What is your problem? Eternal death to nonbelievers sounds like hell and terrorism to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:26:33 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 21, 2012 2:19:14 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:27:25 PM PST
Amon,
There have been a couple other views of hell that are interesting. One being conditional immortality/annihilation. I have not fully researched this yet but intend to. I like this idea better than the hell most Christians believe in. But I don't know if it is biblical.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:27:31 PM PST
King's Kid says:
Well pookie, given a choice would you prefer not to exist or burn in unquenchable fire for eternity?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:28:13 PM PST
King's Kid says:
It is now, pookie.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 1:08:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 1:09:06 PM PST
King's Kid,

Do you feel strong and righteous now that you have called Kathleen M. Pelley "pookie?" It sounds childish. Isn't name calling a poor substitute for thinking? Will you repent and ask her forgiveness? If not, why not? Does your religion give you a pass on poor behavior? Are you so lacking in rational arguments that you had to resort to such childishness? Sounds like something I might hear in an elementary school playground. Did your King teach you that kid?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 1:13:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 1:17:50 PM PST
A Customer says:
It's an argument between two people. Why do you need to stick your nose in?

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 1:17:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 1:22:10 PM PST
MLC says:
Scientific Mind wrote: "I think some of the problem is that some Christians do not like to be challenged."

I don't have a problem with people challenging my faith as long as they do it courteously and respectfully with a sincere interest in actually considering what I am saying. Unfortunately, too many atheists prefer to belittle and mock God, the Bible, Christianity and Christians instead.

Scientific Mind wrote: "When the topic can not be discussed in a rational and reasoned manner, some Christians know they can not provide a logical answer and therefore begin with the name calling."

That's interesting because that's EXACTLY how I feel about most of the atheists I have run across, not just here, but on other forums and on their blogs. They don't have a rational, valid response, but rather than admit that, they start into the insults and sarcasm. Quite frankly, I don't even bother to respond to those, not because I can't, but because I think it is counter-productive to argue with people who don't seem to be interested in intelligent dialogue.

Scientific Mind wrote: "Another problem is that some Christians and Christianity in general has had a free ride for many centuries of going unchallenged and unquestioned."

That isn't true. Christians and Christianity were challenged right from the beginning and underwent serious persecution for centuries. When Christianity became the dominant religion, Constantine declared it the "state" religion.

That was the worst thing that ever could have happened because then people got to believe that just belonging to the state religion was all a person had to do to be a Christian. True Christianity became lost and then it became a battle to get people BACK into relationships with the Lord, a battle that people like Martin Luther, Soren Kierkegaard and others had to fight in their various countries and different centuries.

Scientific Mind: "Atheists are trying to get people to question and challenge and not just accept because some authority figure has been telling them something is so since they were young. "

Ah, but there, you see, that is just one of the remarks that atheists make that sets people off. It's highly inflammatory, meant to needle and provoke from the Christian's point of view. There are ways of wording things that are far less annoying.

To assume that everybody who is a Christian is one just because someone has told them they have to be since they were small, that is, in essence, indoctrinating them, is one of those irrational and inaccurate generalizations guaranteed to provoke a strong emotional reaction rather than represent the truth. What about all the people -- and there are many -- who come to Christ as adults? What about those atheists who come to faith?

Scientific Mind wrote: "Galileo had similar problems with the authority of the church when he challenged their dogma that the Earth is the center of the universe and or that the Sun revolves around the Earth."

The interesting thing about that is that the Church NEVER got that understanding from the Bible, but from Greek philosophers, namely, Aristotle. By accepting the Aristotelian viewpoint of the world, they got into trouble. In fact, Galileo also met opposition from his fellow scientists and astronomers who ALSO had bought into the Aristotelian model and saw everything revolving around the earth. Galileo himself was a Christian and found nothing in the Bible to contradict his science. Check out James Hannam's work.

Scientific Mind wrote: "Change in perspective and thinking sometimes never happens and in most cases a lot of kicking and screaming prevails before any kind of change occurs."

A statement that is as true of atheists as anyone else.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 1:19:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2012 2:07:56 PM PST
Macheath,

Follow thine own advice.

BTW, if the shoe was on the other foot, you would be playing the "Oh, I'm so offended card." Please!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 1:28:52 PM PST
A Customer says:
Actually, I was just commenting yesterday on the very modus operandi you were just engaged in. I find it nauseating, the atheists do it all the time.

http://www.amazon.com/forum/religion/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1M9TK6UGAX6EO&cdMsgID=Mx1ZY86HN9TG8DR&cdMsgNo=961&cdPage=39&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=TxDOO3PID4IJBS#Mx1ZY86HN9TG8DR

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 1:31:47 PM PST
Joe W says:
Was " you should be frightened into believing in God. " a mistype?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 1:37:28 PM PST
brunumb says:
Macheath: "It's an argument between two people. Why do you need to stick your nose in? "

Hooray! The Hall Monitor has arrived to settle the fight. Carry on.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 1:38:49 PM PST
Macheath,

Perhaps you are a bit too sensitive. Seriously. I don't see anything wrong with the content of the link. Maybe I'm too calloused, but I don't see the offense in it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 1:42:14 PM PST
witchie+ says:
Sounds like a terrorist religion to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 1:42:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 1:49:22 PM PST
A Customer says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 1:44:45 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 15, 2016 3:35:37 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 1:45:19 PM PST
witchie+ says:
I know that neither not existing nor burning forever are real so I am not worried. I am concerned about those, like children, who are terrorized by these kinds of threats. I have actually had former clients [I am retired] who had PTSD from that kind of religious terrorism dumped on them as children.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 1:46:55 PM PST
witchie+ says:
Very good point Epistem Quest. I figured his response was childish.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 1:48:52 PM PST
witchie+ says:
Very good point. I forgot about that :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 2:57:29 PM PST
Macheath,

As RR said to JC, "There you go again."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:10:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 5:13:33 PM PST
Okay MLC. Christianity has been having a free ride since the 4th century when Constantine declared it the "state" religion. That is still quite a lot of centuries from the 4th to the 21st. Prior to the 4th century, many other religious viewpoints and religions were vying for acceptance and becoming the dominant religion obviously. Some died out and those in power made a choice. Christianity was that choice in Europe. However, that was not the case in Asia, most of the continent of Africa which is not part of the Middle East and other parts of the world including North and South America. That is why there have been over 3,000 gods that have been worshiped over the past 5,000 years. Some very different and yet again some with very similar stories of resurrections, virgin births etc... which sound like alternative versions of the Christian bible stories and they either coincided or pre-dated Christianity.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1197 8 days ago
Part 3- the somewhat newer thread 261 2 minutes ago
Mary was not sinless. 6276 18 minutes ago
Transgender Individuals 7224 19 minutes ago
The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints is Christian. 7492 22 minutes ago
The END TIMES of ATHEISM and atheist forum bullies 293 25 minutes ago
Catholic-Protestant Discussion Part XXXV 8888 1 hour ago
Eternal life is obtained through faith in the atonement Jesus made. 4909 1 hour ago
Christianity described as a 'profitable fable' by an early pope. 85 1 hour ago
moment-of-broken-ness, part 2 9655 3 hours ago
World leaders alone - and not Religions - can call to God for the end of this era 11 4 hours ago
If a man dies will he live again? Or, is physical death the end? 656 5 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  41
Total posts:  415
Initial post:  Dec 20, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 27, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions