Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

The bible is irrelevant......

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 426 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 7:51:35 AM PDT
Mr.Gatz says:
Lol oh I'm sorry sir did you know me 6 years ago when I was on forums like these doing what you are doing now? oh no you didn't. That's right.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 4:15:01 PM PDT
Mr.Gatz says:
On one hand I will apologize for excersicing anger in this forum. I did get upset seeing you treat my God the way you did

PJA "My God".... is "god" your personal possession

But, I talked it over with the Big Man upstairs and I was just as in the wrong by saying the things I did say.

PJA Oh really??? How convenient.

On the other hand, I also forgive the foolish things that were said about Him.

PJA . You don't speak for me... I meant what I said. I don't care if you think it's foolish or not... You don't have the right to decide what I say about "your God"

There is a difference between knowing someone and knowing about someone. I am not here to make facebook friends, or any friends in that matter.

PJA. What makes you think we would actually want you as a friend?

I am sorry for the fighting evil with evil.

PJA Perhaps you would care to point out exactly what is evil?

I don't want anyone to suffer I just get angry when I see people disrespecting my God. I do love God so much. It is like me talking trash about your family and not only that but publicly.

PJA. "your God" is more important than your family? I think you should analyze your priorities a little closer.......

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 4:16:32 PM PDT
Mr.Gatz says:
You're right He doesn't and I'm not here to do any of that, He will do that Himself. I am just saying that I love God, and prayed the same prayer Jesus prayed while dying for your sins and mine. "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do."

PJA . Nobody died for my "sins". And if somebody takes it upon themselves to try to convince me that they did, then I would like to have some say in the matter......

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 5:42:30 PM PDT
mrs exp says:
Mr Gatz,
Finally someone who is speaking what many of us on these threads have wanted so many times to say, but we've been to chicken.
exp

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 5:47:46 PM PDT
mrs exp says:
Mr Gatz,
I have been where you are many times. I have said things but usually I just stop posting for a while. But it is frustrating to read the things they say.
exp

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 5:52:37 PM PDT
mrs exp says:
Philip J Allen,
He did not say that God is more imporant than his family. He said that God was part of his family and you are trashing Him.

He asked if you wouldn't be angry if he trashed your family.
exp

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 5:54:02 PM PDT
mrs exp says:
Mr Gantz,
I apologize for butting in and explaining what you said about God and family. But Philip was distorting it and making you say something that you did not say.
exp

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 6:01:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2012 6:13:07 PM PDT
mrs exp says:
Philip J Allen,
He did not say that God is more imporant than his family. He said that God was part of his family and you are trashing Him.

He asked if you wouldn't be angry if he trashed your family.
exp

PJA It would depend what my family had done to warrant it in the first place. If I was Lionel Dahmer then I would assume that people would have good reason to trash my son (Jeffery). Just to point out an example...I am not trashing Mr Gatz,nor his family and likewise I would never trash you. What I am trashing is the high esteem which is held for "God". His family should be first and foremost. God should be an optional extra. What if his family rejected the idea of God? What if they decided to become non believers? What would be his choice?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 6:46:35 PM PDT
mrs exp says:
Philip J Allen,
God is more important than my familiy in this way. If they were to stand in between me and my God I would choose God instead of my family. However my family although they are atheists do not interfere with my religion and I don't push my religion on them. We have a good relationship.

Since I really believe what I believe I do have sadness that they don't share my belief, but adults must choose their own path.
exp

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 7:10:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2012 7:47:13 PM PDT
Mrs Exp.If only all believers thought as you.I am sorry for your sadness though.... If it helps, I will send you a cyber smile......

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 8:11:21 PM PDT
Isah Paethos says:
You have not read the whole Bible, have you? The Bible addresses the human condition and the human experience, which is timeless. Try reading Ecclesiastes and then tell me that the Bible is irrelevant.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 8:14:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2012 8:20:48 PM PDT
Isah Paethos says:
Yeah, and get twelve people together who have read Frankenstein and see how many different intepretations that they come up with. I can think of three just off the top of my head, and it has been at least twenty years since I formally studied it. The Bible is no different than any other literature that addresses timeless questions about the human condition and the human experience. To say the Bible is irrelevant is pure ignorance.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 8:19:27 PM PDT
Isah Paethos says:
Have you actually read the Bible and studied it as literature, or do you get free copies at the Salvation Army and use them as toilet paper? Are you too busy soothing your inferiority complex as an atheist by beating up theists to take the time and read the Bible for what it is instead of what you want it to be? I have never met an atheist (myself included) who had an inkling of comprehension about the Bible or any other religious scripture from around the world and throughout all human cultures and all recorded time.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012 5:26:41 AM PDT
Lugh says:
Vicki says: "We see this in the accounts of people who walked with God (like Abraham, Moses, Joseph, Jacob, Ruth, David, etc.) and they considered Him to be faithful, forgiving, and trustworthy. "

Abraham was taunted by God to prove his love for him. If a parent did that in UK these days they would be arrested, the child taken into care and the parent subject to counselling.

Moses had an impossible childhood that replicated that of a king in a Sumerian story. He killed a slave, which if his status were true, he would receive no punishment for doing. He went on a long trek through territory guarded by Egyptian forces, on a mission from a God, who denied this elderly gentleman, and all the other men who set out, entrance to the land he had promised them. A dishonourable act, but the nonsensical story tells us it's made up, so perhaps it has another purpose. It certainly shames God if it were true.

I gather you haven't studied Torah history otherwise you would see, as Martin Noth clearly outlines Deuteronomistic History that the first patriarchs were quite separate ancestral characters taken from different tribal regions.

If you think that the demands to incest, rape, murder and slavery by a power-crazed Yahweh is offset by accounts of his being faithful, forgiving, and trustworthy, I most certainly do not.

I demand far higher standards of justice and morality from my God - fortunately as I am well aware of who wrote the Bible and why, I do not use the stories in a depraved book, to make judgements about God.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012 7:07:45 AM PDT
Vicki says:
Dear Lugh,

Abraham was tested, not taunted by God. And Abraham became a father with numerous descendants, because he believed in God's promise-and that He was faithful in keeping his promises. He said that God would provide the sacrifice- and He did!

Moses, despite his status in the Pharaoh's household, chose to identify with his people when he killed the slave. That is one of the reasons that life became dangerous for him in Egypt and he had to flee. He rejected his royal Egyptian lifestyle at a time when his own people were not yet ready to accept him.

You said :"who denied this elderly gentleman, and all the other men who set out, entrance to the land he had promised them. A dishonourable act,"

You are leaving stuff out, aren't you?
God led the people up to the border of the promised land, but they refused to enter it and rebelled.
These are the people who witnessed what God had done to free them from Egypt and saw His glory enter the tabernacle, as well as seeing Him deliver them from Pharaoh's pursuing army.
They chose to listen to false reports of some of the spies who were sent to investigate the new land, despite Joshua and Caleb's good reports.
When Moses stepped in and prayed to God for forgiveness, He did forgive them. He also granted their desire not to enter the land. It was Caleb and Joshua and the descendants of the rebellious people who later received God's promise.
God was definitely NOT being dishonorable. He still took care of the rebellious people as they wandered for 40 years. He was faithful.

God's decision to forbid Moses from entering the promised land because of his behavior at the water of Meribah, wasn't an arbitrary decision. He rebelled and there were consequences.
Yet, Moses didn't think that God was being dishonorable. Moses later sang God's praises-
that He is great, faithful, upright, just, could do no wrong. He put the blame right where it belonged- on the people.

I think that it is best to look at the opinions of people who walked with God, such as Moses and Abraham, when a person wants to know what God is really like.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012 7:28:22 AM PDT
Lugh says:
Vicki says: " Dear Lugh, You are leaving stuff out, aren't you? "
Yes of course - in this discussion there isn't space for all the relevant information - as you are by not getting up to speed on Martin Noth's literary origin of the Pentateuch.

But then all that wouldn't matter if you didn't seem to take the [Moses'] story as historical fact.

It cannot have happened: rationally or logically. It didn't actually happen at all, as the Bible archaeology clearly shows. What we are left with is some other explanation. If you can't accept that, you can't expect to understand God.

Reading a Bible story, like the story of Moses, won't make any literal sense, because it was never about God and Moses, it was about something else. That something else, is a thing that you made a conscious choice that you do not with to know. The good news is, that if you change your mind, you can easily find the caring God that is misrepresented in the Bible.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012 8:19:19 AM PDT
R. Fritz says:
times have changed, but human nature hasn't. if you don't believe that, read the first book of the Bible, Genesis. then watch tonights news and you'll see the same things still tripping people up today. the bible calls that Sin, and teaches that all people are prone to it. that includes, but isn't limited to us Christians.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012 8:30:33 AM PDT
R. Fritz says:
i offer you the wisdom of the comic strip pogo: we has met the enemy, and he is us! know thyself. russ

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012 11:16:20 AM PDT
Amon says:
Sticks and stones...sticks and stones.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012 12:51:18 PM PDT
The Bible is far more relevant than you are.

One day, you'll be in your grave, and the Bible will still be rolling off the printing press.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012 12:52:20 PM PDT
Philip J. Allen: "We live according to our times."

The Bible: "There is nothing new under the sun."

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012 1:31:48 PM PDT
mrs exp says:
Philip J Allen,
Thanks, I can use a smile.
exp

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012 1:36:52 PM PDT
mrs exp says:
Amon,
And this means what?
exp

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012 2:51:25 PM PDT
Jack Vix says:
Mr. HT
The Bible is far more relevant than you are.

JV
My dog is far more relevant than the Bible, there's just not as many people that find her so. That's OK those people are the irrelevant zombie masses.

Mr. HT
One day, you'll be in your grave, and the Bible will still be rolling of the printing press.

JV
So will The God Delusion. :P
Also, so will 50 Shades of Grey and Green Eggs and Ham.

The Earth is a few billion years old, the Bible is only a few thousand. It's a tiny blip in history. One day, the sun will burn out and no one will remember us or even know the Bible or something called Earth even existed. The universe is near 14 billion years old, the bible is a spec compared to the Earth and Earth is a microscopic spec in the universes vomit.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012 3:41:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 28, 2012 3:42:37 PM PDT
Vicki says:
Dear Lugh,

"Deuteronomic History" is $148, so I won't be ordering it to check out your claim.

The God of the Bible is a caring God and I don't believe He is misrepresented in the Bible, at all. But, thank-you for your concern.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  40
Total posts:  426
Initial post:  Oct 10, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions