Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

Grace of God

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 5, 2010 1:03:33 AM PST
R. Hildreth says:
Watch out for the Letter!!

Please read 2 Corinthians 3:1-6

Ok I know some of the titles on some of these studies have been a
little off the wall but as I read this passage I could not resist. Taking
a look at vs. 4-6 two things really hit me. Where is the confidence of
a person who is under the law? If my righteousness is in any way shape
or form based on my doing, guess what, I would be confident not based
on HIM but based on me! Wow that is a terrible idea if you know me at
all. I suck when it comes to righteousness just ask anyone who knows
me. My righteousness and the only righteousness that will endure is
from only one source- yeah you guessed it JESUS! As vs. 6 says
the "letter of the law kills but the Spirit gives life". So my second
point or thing that really hit me is this, am I teaching about life and
that more abundantly or death and more legalism?
Hope this gives you something to consider as you look toward another
week lets spread a little life out there!

Posted on Jan 5, 2010 1:52:45 AM PST
R. Hildreth says:
Just added another new video. Hope you like it:

http://newcreationchurch.ning.com/

Posted on Jan 5, 2010 7:32:53 AM PST
f2c says:
Bob,

Here is a whole bunch of great info. You might enjoy looking through it. :)

http://www.studiesingrace.com/

Posted on Jan 5, 2010 1:31:17 PM PST
Harry Marks says:
RH -

I like your theme, but I think your mode of communication is off-putting. But maybe not - some readers appear to appreciate it. It reminds me of a lot of devotional writing, and who am I to criticize a formula that works for people.

You might consider, though, finding some alternative contexts, images and applications. For me, citing scripture only is an authoritarian approach. To say that God cannot reveal the wonders of grace to us except through the Word is to limit the word of God. I mean, if you really believe that we are liberated to have the law of love written on our hearts, doesn't that imply we can think about it in our lives, work with it to make it more visible, and generate creative work based on it?

Just a thought.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2010 1:40:49 PM PST
R. Hildreth says:
Harry, I agree with you and in fact I learn more about Grace and freedom through meditation in the mountains. I think one reason I have focused so much on scripture is my fundamental upbringing. Meditation like that taught by Jon Kabit Zin and Thich Nhat Hahn have really helped me in many ways to see the wonders of God. I do believe in the authority of scripture but I have also seen it used like a bludgeon on so many people, myself included. My hope has been to see the Bible studies help to liberate stressed out, closed off legalistic people but I do see your point. I have some short stories I am working on as well and I really appreciate your comments.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2010 1:42:30 PM PST
R. Hildreth says:
free, Thank you I will look into it. Is this your material? Can any of it be posted on the online church I just started at:

Posted on Jan 5, 2010 1:53:46 PM PST
R. Hildreth says:
This is good freetochoose!
I like the way he goes into detail on this page. I havent read it all but this page below is really good.

http://www.studiesingrace.com/GodsGrace.html

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2010 2:09:21 PM PST
f2c says:
It's not 'mine', but it is the study I did. You could email and see. I don't know why not.

I bookmarked the site. I have looked at a little of it. It's interesting to see it grow.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2010 2:17:42 PM PST
f2c says:
"The Hebrew word hen is one of the words used in the Old Testament, which is translated grace. This word denotes favor, acceptance. It also denotes the stronger voluntarily coming to help the weaker."

"The Greek word for grace is charis defined as favor, kindness or mercy."

I like Grace being translated as mercy.

I read a really good book by Piper, "Faith In Future Grace". I refer back to it frequently. He talks about faith being forward looking, and he also goes into detail about the debtors ethic. The book is sorta heavy, but the ideas were very interesting.

Posted on Jan 6, 2010 11:10:34 AM PST
R. Hildreth says:
Whats in your blood?

Please read Heb. 9:1-28

Whats in the blood that covers your sins? Is it from "human hands?" Is it such that it must be repeatedly sprinkled out and repeatedly shed to make you reholy, resanctified and rereconciled?
Thank the LORD JESUS CHRIST there is another way. Thank GOD almighty that HE did something very few of us would do. HIS only begotten SON came to give you life and give it to you more abundantly with the power of HIS blood. It could only be given to you freely once and for all if it was bathed in the ONLY BLOOD that could wash it away once and for all. As it says says in vs. 15
"For this reason CHRIST is the mediator of a New Covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance- now that HE has died as a ransom to set free from the sins committed under the first covenant."
Whats in my blood? The blood covering me didnt come as a sacrafice made by human hands and thank GOD for that as that would instill pride and envy which would keep me from loving which is all that matters now.

Please spend some time meditating on vs. 26 and "once and for all" be the freedman lover to all creatures GOD has created.

Have a GRACE-FILLED day!

Bob

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2010 11:53:07 AM PST
f2c says:
Love that one!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2010 2:55:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2010 2:58:31 PM PST
R, We are ALWAYS under GOD'S LAWS, (Matthew 19:17, Romans 2:13, Mark 10:19) and we are NO LONGER under the LAW of Moses and it's 613 components, as faith ALONE doesn't cut it, (Matthew 7:21, Luke 12:47),as we must COOPERATE with the Wisdom and Power of the Holy Spirit for we MUST first forgive others, IF we wish to be forgiven, (matthew 6:14) and we must do GOO to others, and NOT evil, (John 5:29) and we must show compassion, (Matthew 18;34,35) and we MUST NOT persist in sin, (Matthew 5:30, Ephesians 5:5,6, Hebrews 10:26) and we MUST not judge, (Luke 6:36,37) or we as believers will be delayed, (1 Peter 3:19, 1 Corinthians 3:15, Colossians 3:25) in entering the kingdom of Heaven that Jesus has purchased for us all by His Most Precious Blood. (1 Peter 1:18,19), unless of course we have atoned for the temporal punishment, (2 Samuel 12:14) due our sins, while still on earth, (1 Peter 4:8, James 5:20, 2 Corinthians 7:1, Luke 11:41, Proverbs 16;6, Daniel 4:27, "Break off your sins by practicing righteousness and your iniquities by showing mercy to the oppressed.") otherwise, we believers who disobey "Shall be CHASTENED when JUDGED BY THE LORD as to NOT be condemned along with the world." (1 Corinthians 11:32). Peace

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2010 9:03:56 PM PST
B. Bauer says:
Free2choose: thanks for your helpful words about the subject of grace. One note of caution about Piper regarding the subject of assurance of salvation: I know that Piper is a popular writer and speaker, but he is also a strong Calvinist and very extreme in the area of "perseverance." Listen to some of his words as quoted by Dr. Thomas Cucuzza in his book, SECURE FOREVER: God's Promise or Our Perseverance? (available on Amazon). "1. He [Piper] says that 'those who do not hold fast to Christ can be lost in the end.' Is he not saying that we are kept saved by works---by persevering? 2. He [Piper] says, 'our final salvation is made contingent upon our subsequent obedience which comes from faith.' Is he not saying that we are saved by obedience, which is works?" (page 55). In addition, Cucuzza quotes statements made by Piper at the Ligonier National Conference in Orlando, FL, June 15-17, 2000: "John Piper described himself as 'a seven point Calvinist [and said] that no Christian can be sure he is a true believer; hence there is an ongoing need to be dedicated to the Lord and deny ourselves so that we might make it"---Cucuzza comments, "This conclusion and mindset is all the fruit of the doctrine of perseverance. For those who hold to it, it robs them of the joyful assurance God wants every one of His children to have" (page 56).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2010 9:45:26 PM PST
f2c says:
It's been a while since I read it, but Piper was pretty clear on the debtors ethic. It's the only book I have read by him, but the above could have been taken out of context. Faith in future Grace, and the debtor's ethic. Think about it. He says not only are our sins forgiven past present and future, but there is NO way to pay it back and to do so nullifies Grace. Also he says that our faith is IN future Grace. That's the stuff I remember anyways. I have the book, I could look.

Posted on Jan 8, 2010 2:29:24 AM PST
R. Hildreth says:
Hi All come joine me at:

Posted on Jan 8, 2010 2:30:40 AM PST
R. Hildreth says:
What will last for all times?
Please read Luke 7:36-50

Isnt it amazing that again CHRIST shows the difference between "the
law" and "LOVE." This "sinner" woman was made whole because of an act
of LOVE through the faith and understanding that JESUS was the
Messiah. A couple of points that I find interesting here:
1) The teachers of the law still saw her as dirty. They (teachers of
the law) still saw her as "a sinner" woman. JESUS did not see that
and in fact spoke of her sin in the past tense. Isnt it interesting
as far as we know this womans behavior never changed. Whatever made
her "sinful" in the eyes of the all holy and proud "teachers of the
law" was apparently still there. The Bible does not go out of its way
to tell how this woman miraculously stopped her behavior. The only
stress here is that this woman "LOVED much" because she was forgiven
much.
2) The single act of LOVE upstaged all the holy law teachers that
were present and to be honest this lady pissed them off. Where LOVE
is the law with its absolute, black or white, wrong or right attitude
is not now nor will it ever be comfortable. The law doesnt like
things that are not easy to interpret or outside the box. But also
this single act of LOVE by someone like you or me was remembered and
all the sacrifices and blood spilt out by these holier than thou law
teachers was not even mentioned.

I want to encourage YOU to LOVE someone today. Give of yourself and
LOVE today because that is what will last. The LOVE you give as JESUS
gave is what will matter in the end nothing else.

Have a GRACE-FULL day!

Posted on Jan 8, 2010 2:33:32 AM PST
R. Hildreth says:
What is meant by bear fruit?

Please read John 15:9-17

There is a LOVE that is above any type of LOVE a person can
comprehend. It can be seen at times and places when one would not
expect to see LOVE which makes it all the more peculiar, a war zone
for an example like I am in now. Last night several morters landed
close to the area where I am currently staying. We have no idea when
these attacks will come, how many morters will be fired at a time, or
for that matter where they will land. But in the middle of the attack
a person that I have never met and perhaps never will came running
through my compound to say, "stay within the blast walls!" These are
a protective wall that runs all around certain areas that keeps an
attack (unless direct) from hitting us. Well it was pretty good
advice but as I thought about it later I couldnt help but think, "Why
did this guy do that?" I mean it wasnt his job and he certainly didnt
get any extra pay and he put himself in harms way to do that. Now I
am not saying he is an example of CHRISTlike LOVE but I am trying to
say that the LOVE you give to people makes them think. I cannot
convert anyone! Its not my job! I didnt die on the cross and
therefore I am powerless to try to get rid of another's sins but I was
only commanded to LOVE under the new covenant. Because of the power
of CHRIST in me the hope of glory I can LOVE because I am nor
responsible to judge. I am not the judge nor would I want to be but I
am responsible to LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! LOVE makes the fruit grow, LOVE
brings people to you because the world is hungry for LOVE! What the
world needs now is LOVE sweet LOVE! LOVE as HE LOVED!
Try this start each day:
1) With counting all the good things that you can smile about!
2) Write down some ways that you will show LOVE today!

Posted on Jan 8, 2010 2:36:32 AM PST
R. Hildreth says:
Does Jesus have anything to say about the difference between religion and spirituality?

Please read Matthew 23:1-36

Isn't it interesting that the one group CHRIST says cant escape hell
is the "teachers of the law." The people who make a show of religion
and make the biggest display of their devotion are the least likely
to to see GOD. Could this still be applicable to todays world? Can
anyone show me a place where it says anything about not loving
someone because our main focus should be outward appearances?
JESUS came to show us that its all about the heart. "If your heart
does not condemn you, you are not condemned" is not just a catchy
slogan. This is the result of the way JESUS provided for us. It was
also ultimately the reason why the church/temple/religious leaders
had to have him killed. The thought of the loss of control really
worried these, "Snakes! Brood of vipers!" This was all these people
knew the position and the power and the money from all these people
who thought that they were not worthy. JESUS made everyone who
believes worthy by his death burial and resurrection. GOD doesn't
want some showy, glossy, fancy white Anglo Saxon protestant who
makes a big show of being a "Christian." What HE wants and what the
world needs now more than ever are LOVERS!! People who love no
matter what the cost and no matter how humanly difficult the price
may be. Be careful of the teachers of the law they will take you
with them right to hell.

Dont worry be GRACE-FULL

Posted on Jan 8, 2010 2:39:22 AM PST
R. Hildreth says:
Come join me at:

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2010 2:40:46 AM PST
R. Hildreth says:
Thank you Brother! Graceful weekend to us all!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2010 2:53:30 AM PST
Harry Marks says:
RH -

Thanks for the reply: I feel better already. Keep up the good work, and may all your endeavors continue to be grace-ful.

Harry

Posted on Jan 8, 2010 3:05:57 AM PST
R. Hildreth says:
No Fear!!

Want to get rid of fear in your life? Want to have a one on one relationship with the Almighty God?!

Please read 1 John 4:16-18

What does perfect love do to fear? What was the old covenant based on with regard to our relationship to God?
What is "the one fear" according to this passage?
I am a lucky man in that I know what fear is and I have seen the face of absolute terror face to face- but thats not the God I serve! Tell me what makes you closer to someone threat or love? This isnt anything tricky its just that according to this passage "Perfect Love" is either brought in to you from God or you arent "of Him." But once that perfect love is brought in is it always evident? Well I am going to disagree and I am going to struggle with being loving at times "but perfect love drives out fear." I find that the more I meditate and spend time doing the important things like listening, reading and watching the more love is in me and the less fear I have.

Have a Grace-Filled weekend and come see the social group I started at:

Posted on Jan 8, 2010 4:30:12 PM PST
R. Hildreth says:
One of the great things abour the new covenant in my opinion is that it causes you to, "work out your salvation" which I believe means to keep growing and learning in the Lord. I cant grow under the law its just there each and every time I turn around to make me feel guilty and condemed because my best is as filthy rags and so the more I see the measuring stick the more the stick hits me over the head and makes me feel bad.
On the other hand IF grace is real and IF grace is alive in my life just think of the gratefulness to God and just consider how much forgiveness I can have for small faults done against me. Consider the amount of energy that I can focus on loving others if I am not tied up with shame.
Where does forgivness start? What kind of love is from God as opposed to love from man? Can a man love in the same way as God loves?
Just some thoughts on my Saturday morning along with this Mat. 18:21-35. God calls us to forgive just as He has forgiven us, "from your heart" but this is impossible under the law.

Have a Grace-Filled weekend!

Posted on Jan 8, 2010 4:31:18 PM PST
R. Hildreth says:
Oops I wanted to add this link:

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2010 7:48:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2010 7:49:15 PM PST
R. Hildreth, We are ALWAYS under God's LAW, (Matthew 19:17, Romans 2:13, Mark 10:19), just NO LONGER under the LAW of Moses and it's 613 components, for we must cooperate with the Holy Spirit and do GOD'S WILL and NOT our own, (Luke 12:47) OR we shall be severely punished, and we MUST forgive others, IF we wish to be forgiven, (Matthew 6:14) and we MUST NOT persist in our sins, (Matthew 5:30, Ephesians 5:5,6, Hebrews 10:26) and we MUST NOT judge others IF we wish NOT to be judged by God, (Luke 6:36,37) and if we believers disobey God and His LAW, (Matthew 19:17, Romans 2:13, Luke 12:47) and have NOT atoned for the temporal punishment, (2 Samuel 12:14) due our sins while still on earth, (1 Peter 4:8, James 5:20, 2 Corinthians 7:1, Daniel 4:27, "Break off your sins by practicing righteousness, and your iniquities by showing mercy to the oppressed.") then we shall AFTER death then be CHASTENED when JUDGED BY THE LORD as to NOT be condemned along with the world, (1 Corinthians 11:32, Colossians 3:25) as the rich man indeed had faith as Paul affirms, (Galatians 3:7), but NO WORKS, (James 2:13, James 2:24, Proverbs 21:13) and was thus delayed in entering the kingdom, (1 Peter 3:19, Matthew 18:34,35, 1 Corinthians 3:15, Zechariah 9:11) that Christ has purchased for us all by His Most Precious Blood (1 Peter 1:18,19) Peace
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1197 9 days ago
Tim Kaine, a Catholic who believes in good works is VP pick on the Hillary Democratic ticket! 44 19 seconds ago
The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints is Christian. 7526 2 minutes ago
If a man dies will he live again? Or, is physical death the end? 675 13 minutes ago
My Mob's pub and coffee shop, Part the Twelfth 234 16 minutes ago
Jesus never "died for our sins" 3311 27 minutes ago
For JIG OSAS and the KJV only crowd - Here is your opportunity to show us the evidence 6 36 minutes ago
The END TIMES of ATHEISM and atheist forum bullies 306 41 minutes ago
The Christ Myth: is it possible Jesus never existed? 953 45 minutes ago
Part 3- the somewhat newer thread 299 51 minutes ago
Mary was not sinless. 6340 53 minutes ago
Transgender Individuals 7345 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  159
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Dec 21, 2009
Latest post:  Dec 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions