Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

Can the Christian Belief System be seen as full of double talk?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 23, 2012 10:55:37 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:35:55 PM PST]

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 10:58:04 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:36:00 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 11:00:16 AM PDT
no double talk

but a lot of people who dont know what the bible really says

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 11:02:34 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:36:06 PM PST]

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 11:26:32 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:36:58 PM PST]

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 12:07:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 23, 2012 12:22:39 PM PDT
G. J. Stein says:
Here's some double talk for ya:

Numbers 21: 4 Then they, [the Israelites], journeyed from Mount Hor by the Way of the Red Sea, to go around the land of Edom; and the soul of the people became very discouraged on the way. 5 And the people spoke against God and against Moses: "Why have you brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? For there is no food and no water, and our soul loathes this worthless bread." 6 So the LORD sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and many of the people of Israel died.
7 Therefore the people came to Moses, and said, "We have sinned, for we have spoken against the LORD and against you; pray to the LORD that He take away the serpents from us." So Moses prayed for the people.

8 Then the LORD said to Moses, "Make a fiery serpent, and set it on a pole; and it shall be that everyone who is bitten, when he looks at it, shall live." 9 So Moses made a bronze serpent, and put it on a pole; and so it was, if a serpent had bitten anyone, when he looked at the bronze serpent, he lived.

Juxtaposed:

John 3: [After Jesus mentioning the need to be born-again], 10 Jesus answered and said to him [Nicodemus], "Are you the teacher of Israel, and do not know these things? 11 Most assuredly, I say to you, We speak what We know and testify what We have seen, and you do not receive Our witness. 12 If I have told you earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you heavenly things? 13 No one has ascended to heaven but He who came down from heaven, that is, the Son of Man who is in heaven.

14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up [crucified], 15 that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.

16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.
18 "He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19 And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. 21 But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God."

We must be born-again!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 1:33:14 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:36:14 PM PST]

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 1:35:20 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:36:47 PM PST]

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 1:36:25 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:36:18 PM PST]

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 1:36:59 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:36:25 PM PST]

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 1:37:50 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:36:30 PM PST]

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 2:52:56 PM PDT
G. J. Stein says:
...ah yes, poor Anne, now reduced and in the wilderness, wandering, and having a conversation with none other then her narcissistic self...how appropriate...

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 3:08:26 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:36:36 PM PST]

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 3:59:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 23, 2012 4:01:34 PM PDT
Theresa says:
Man is a union of spirit and matter; and the soul animates the body.
But there comes a time when the body is no longer capable of responding to the soul's animating power.
The soul is as powerful as ever, but the body has deteriorated---either suddenly or by age.
When that moment comes, the body ceases to be vivified by the soul and falls away into corruption.

But the soul, being a spirit, does not cease.
It ceases to animate the body, but its powers of knowledge (intellect) and will are still active.
The soul lives on awaiting the moment when, by God's act, it is reunited to a glorified body---reconstituted in complete humanity for all eternity.

Death is not the end of life, despite its finality.
It closes the first period of man's life; and this period, though not permanent in itself, is decisive of all to come.

Death is not the end of life, but it is the end of the road.

After death, man has arrived and there is no further journeying for him.
This life upon earth is a period of preparation and, at its end, man has become something which he will remain...for all eternity.
The decisive factor is his will and whether that will is fixed toward God...or against God.
And he will remain with God...or without God, forever. The later is hell.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 4:18:12 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:37:16 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 5:00:20 PM PDT
G. J. Stein says:
...trouble is Ms. Rice, if I were with you in person you'd see with your own eye's, you're wrong about my hostile intentions. You'd have to come to grips that I'm a flesh and blood fellow human who actually does care, and even has a smile, as I dare tell you the TRUTH you don't want to hear...!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 5:12:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 23, 2012 5:20:46 PM PDT
I think coming to such consumer-minded "Capitalist-Christian" forum looking for double-talk is way too easy.

I believe you would receive some fine debate if you took this to a TRUE Christian forum. There are many on the internet to choose from but you won't find many here who have bothered reading the Bible. At least, I haven't met one here who didn't rely on MAN to interpret the Bible for them.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 6:01:35 PM PDT
Theresa says:
You're welcome, Anne.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 6:23:20 PM PDT
Bohemian Man says:
Anne Rice,

You've hit the nail on the head.

That was one of the reasons I left the ministry 30 years ago. For example, I couldn't believe that someone living on Easter Island in 825 A.D. who never heard the gospel, was going to burn for eternity simply because he was not born in the right geographic area.

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 6:40:42 PM PDT
Bohemian Man says:
Anne Rice,

another thing that evangelical Christianity does is the old "bait and switch".

People are told to come to Jesus for forgivness of sin and He will give them joy unspeakable.

When the new convert starts having problems with their faith and doubts arise, they are told that God is testing them.

When the "unspeakable joy" doesn't manifest, they're told that it's a lack of faith on their part.

When things go good, it's God's blessing. When they go bad, it's the Devil or God's testing.

It's only those who can accept this mindset that can endure this belief system.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 8:00:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 23, 2012 8:01:36 PM PDT
freedom4all says:
Bohemian Man, it seems to me that the vast majority of religious beliefs are set in early in life. That what religion one is raised in to the vast numbers of humanity is the religion they see as truth. There are of course Fundamentalism in all religion who are very intorant of anyone outside their narrow view.

It is as if the part of the brain is programmed early on, There are exceptions of course; Ann, you and I to name a few. But we are the few to change our mind and believe either another view entirely.

Most who convert, do so to an similar religion. History say most mass conversion were by the sword. So in effect the first generation or two did so for show. But the latter generation really did take up that faith and believe in it because they were raised to do so.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 11:23:15 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:37:30 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 11:24:13 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:37:45 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 11:25:11 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:37:35 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 11:26:19 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 12:37:40 PM PST]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 160 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  79
Total posts:  3986
Initial post:  Sep 23, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions