Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

"If we are lovers of the light we adore it in whatever lamp it may become manifest"

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1053 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 25, 2012 8:10:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012 8:17:24 PM PST
Please post Pearls of Wisdom from all systems of thought.

"My first counsel is this: Possess a pure, kindly and radiant heart, that thine may be a sovereignty ancient, imperishable and everlasting."

(Baha'u'llah, The Hidden Words)

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 8:18:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012 8:18:21 PM PST
"The utterance of God is a lamp, whose light is these words: Ye are the fruits of one tree, and the leaves of one branch. Deal ye one with another with the utmost love and harmony, with friendliness and fellowship. He Who is the Day Star of Truth beareth Me witness! So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth."

(Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah)

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 8:21:25 PM PST
"That one indeed is a man who, today, dedicateth himself to the service of the entire human race. The Great Being saith: Blessed and happy is he that ariseth to promote the best interests of the peoples and kindreds of the earth. In another passage He hath proclaimed: It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens."

(Baha'u'llah, Tablets of Baha'u'llah)

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 8:23:20 PM PST
"We work and pray for the unity of mankind, that all the races of the earth may become one race, all the countries one country, and that all hearts may beat as one heart, working together for perfect unity and brotherhood."

(Abdu'l-Baha, Paris Talks)

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 8:34:21 PM PST
Astrocat says:
Beautiful, Music. Thanks.

"No matter by what path men approach Me, they are made welcome. For all paths no matter how diverse lead straight to Me. All paths are mine, notwithstanding by what names they may be called.

Even they who tread the path of the lower deities and imaginary gods and who pray to them for success through action - even these, say I, meet with reward, for they reap the success that comes from earnest application and industrious action. Through the laws of Mind and Nature, do their gods, real or imagined, answer them."

Lord Krishna - Bhagavad Gita - in the chapter on Spiritual Knowledge.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 8:46:25 PM PST
5:9 "Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God."

(King James Bible, Matthew)

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 9:12:05 PM PST
Astrocat says:
"Matter is spirit at its lowest point and spirit is matter at its highest, and the apparent duality is but an essential unity."

Helena Blavatsky

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 10:59:25 PM PST
There is a way that seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death.
Proverbs 14:12

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 11:30:48 AM PST
"You may call me an agnostic, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from religious indoctrination received in youth." - Albert Einstein

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 11:35:32 AM PST
"5:43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.

5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; 5:45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

5:46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? 5:47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so? 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."

King James Bible, Matthew

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 11:51:55 AM PST
"The best beloved of all things in My sight is Justice; turn not away therefrom if thou desirest Me, and neglect it not that I may confide in thee. By its aid thou shalt see with thine own eyes and not through the eyes of others, and shalt know of thine own knowledge and not through the knowledge of thy neighbor. Ponder this in thy heart; how it behooveth thee to be. Verily justice is My gift to thee and the sign of My loving-kindness. Set it then before thine eyes."

(Baha'u'llah, The Hidden Words)

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 9:00:22 AM PST
"After scaling the high summits of wonderment the wayfarer cometh to THE VALLEY OF TRUE POVERTY AND ABSOLUTE NOTHINGNESS.

This station is the dying from self and the living in God, the being poor in self and rich in the Desired One. Poverty as here referred to signifieth being poor in the things of the created world, rich in the things of God's world. For when the true lover and devoted friend reacheth to the presence of the Beloved, the sparkling beauty of the Loved One and the fire of the lover's heart will kindle a blaze and burn away all veils and wrappings. Yea, all he hath, from heart to skin, will be set aflame, so that nothing will remain save the Friend."

(Baha'u'llah, The Seven Valleys)

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 9:05:02 AM PST
(2 Cor 11:12-14)
12 But what I do, I will also continue to do, that I may cut off the opportunity from those who desire an opportunity to be regarded just as we are in the things of which they boast.
13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into apostles of Christ.
14 And no wonder! For Satan himself transforms himself into an angel of light.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 9:12:38 AM PST
"The teachings specialized in Bahá'u'lláh are addressed to humanity. He says, "Ye are all the leaves of one tree." He does not say, "Ye are the leaves of two trees: one divine, the other satanic." He has declared that each individual member of the human family is a leaf or branch upon the Adamic tree; that all are sheltered beneath the protecting mercy and providence of God; that all are the children of God, fruit upon the one tree of His love. God is equally compassionate and kind to all the leaves, branches and fruit of this tree. Therefore, there is no satanic tree whatever -- Satan being a product of human minds and of instinctive human tendencies toward error. God alone is Creator, and all are creatures of His might. Therefore, we must love mankind as His creatures, realizing that all are growing upon the tree of His mercy, servants of His omnipotent will and manifestations of His good pleasure.

Even though we find a defective branch or leaf upon this tree of humanity or an imperfect blossom, it, nevertheless, belongs to this tree and not to another. Therefore, it is our duty to protect and cultivate this tree until it reaches perfection. If we examine its fruit and find it imperfect, we must strive to make it perfect. There are souls in the human world who are ignorant; we must make them knowing. Some growing upon the tree are weak and ailing; we must assist them toward health and recovery. If they are as infants in development, we must minister to them until they attain maturity. We should never detest and shun them as objectionable and unworthy. We must treat them with honor, respect and kindness; for God has created them and not Satan. They are not manifestations of the wrath of God but evidences of His divine favor. God, the Creator, has endowed them with physical, mental and spiritual qualities that they may seek to know and do His will; therefore, they are not objects of His wrath and condemnation. In brief, all humanity must be looked upon with love, kindness and respect; for what we behold in them are none other than the signs and traces of God Himself. All are evidences of God; therefore, how shall we be justified in debasing and belittling them, uttering anathema and preventing them from drawing near unto His mercy? This is ignorance and injustice, displeasing to God; for in His sight all are His servants."

(Abdu'l-Baha, The Promulgation of Universal Peace)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 9:16:36 AM PST
Yes, Satan dresses himself up as a modern scientist, glittering with all the beautiful, deceitful false discoveries of modern science, trying to allure us into denying God and going to perdition. It's all just based on assumptions, and it's designed to destroy our souls.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 9:16:51 AM PST
"When the man who is spiritually sagacious and possessed of insight views the world of humanity, he will observe that the lights of the divine bounty are flooding all mankind, just as the lights of the sun shed their splendor upon all existing things. All phenomena of material existence are revealed through the ray emanating from the sun. Without light nothing would be visible. Similarly, all phenomena in the inner world of reality receive the bounties of God from the source of divine bestowal. This human plane, or kingdom, is one creation, and all souls are the signs and traces of the divine bounty. In this plane there are no exceptions; all have been recipients of their bestowals through the heavenly bounty. Can you find a soul bereft of the nearness of God? Can you find one whom God has deprived of its daily sustenance? This is impossible. God is kind and loving to all, and all are manifestations of the divine bounty. This is the oneness of the world of humanity.

But some souls are weak; we must endeavor to strengthen them. Some are ignorant, uninformed of the bounties of God; we must strive to make them knowing. Some are ailing; we must seek to restore them to health. Some are immature as children; they must be trained and assisted to attain maturity. We nurse the sick in tenderness and the kindly spirit of love; we do not despise them because they are ill. Therefore, we must exercise extreme patience, sympathy and love toward all mankind, considering no soul as rejected. If we look upon a soul as rejected, we have disobeyed the teachings of God. God is loving to all. Shall we be unjust or unkind to anyone? Is this allowable in the sight of God? God provides for all. Is it befitting for us to prevent the flow of His merciful provisions for mankind? God has created all in His image and likeness. Shall we manifest hatred for His creatures and servants? This would be contrary to the will of God and according to the will of Satan, by which we mean the natural inclinations of the lower nature. This lower nature in man is symbolized as Satan -- the evil ego within us, not an evil personality outside."

(Abdu'l-Baha, The Promulgation of Universal Peace)

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 9:23:30 AM PST
"O ye loved ones of God! In this, the Bahá'í dispensation, God's Cause is spirit unalloyed. His Cause belongeth not to the material world. It cometh neither for strife nor war, nor for acts of mischief or of shame; it is neither for quarrelling with other Faiths, nor for conflicts with the nations. Its only army is the love of God, its only joy the clear wine of His knowledge, its only battle the expounding of the Truth; its one crusade is against the insistent self, the evil promptings of the human heart. Its victory is to submit and yield, and to be selfless is its everlasting glory. In brief, it is spirit upon spirit."

(Abdu'l-Baha, Selections from the Writings of Abdu'l-Baha)

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 9:45:32 AM PST
"My name is `Abdu'l-Bahá [literally, Servant of Baha]. My qualification is `Abdu'l-Bahá. My reality is `Abdu'l-Bahá. My praise is `Abdu'l-Bahá. Thraldom to the Blessed Perfection [Bahá'u'lláh] is my glorious and refulgent diadem, and servitude to all the human race my perpetual religion... No name, no title, no mention, no commendation have I, nor will ever have, except `Abdu'l-Bahá. This is my longing. This is my greatest yearning. This is my eternal life. This is my everlasting glory... Consequently the friends of God must assist and help Abdul-Baha in the adoration of the True One; in the servitude to the human race; in the well-being of the human world and in divine love and kindness."

[On Nov. 28th, Baha'is commemorate the Ascension of 'Abdu'l-Baha, Son of Bahá'u'lláh, the Prophet-Founder of the Bahá'í Faith. Abdu'l-Baha passed away at his home in Haifa, Israel, at approximately 1 a.m. on Nov. 28, 1921, at the age 77.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 9:46:22 AM PST
Hello, Abdu'l-Baha! Welcome to amazon, infinite source of human wisdom.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 10:45:15 AM PST
John 8:12 "Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life."

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 9:16:59 PM PST
(Luke 12:22-34)

25"That's why I'm telling you to stop worrying about your life-what you will eat or what you will drinko -or about your body-what you will wear. Life is more than food, isn't it, and the body more than clothing? 26Look at the birds in the sky. They don't plant or harvest or gather food into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. You are more valuable than they are, aren't you? 27Can any of you add a single hour to the length of your lifep by worrying? 28And why do you worry about clothes? Consider the lilies in the field and how they grow. They don't work or spin yarn, 29but I tell you that not even Solomon in all of his splendor was clothed like one of them. 30Now if that is the way God clothes the grass in the field, which is alive today and thrown into an oven tomorrow, won't he clothe you much better-you who have little faith?

31"So don't ever worry by saying, `What are we going to eat?' or `What are we going to drink?' or `What are we going to wear?' 32because it is the unbelieversq who are eager for all those things. Surely your heavenly Father knows that you need all of them! 33But first be concerned about God's kingdom and his righteousness,r and all of these things will be provided for you as well. 34So never worry about tomorrow, because tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 10:55:59 PM PST
I. Dunn says:
"If we are lovers of the light we adore it in whatever lamp it may become manifest"

True. But I do not understand it as applying to systems of thought but to individuals. I maybe a lamp, or you maybe a lamp by the deeds we do in this world.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 2:54:54 PM PST
"When you love a member of your family or a compatriot, let it be with a ray of the Infinite Love! Let it be in God, and for God! Wherever you find the attributes of God love that person, whether he be of your family or of another. Shed the light of a boundless love on every human being whom you meet, whether of your country, your race, your political party, or of any other nation, colour or shade of political opinion. Heaven will support you while you work in this in-gathering of the scattered peoples of the world beneath the shadow of the almighty tent of unity."

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 2:58:49 PM PST
"What a power is love! It is the most wonderful, the greatest of all living powers.

Love gives life to the lifeless. Love lights a flame in the heart that is cold. Love brings hope to the hopeless and gladdens the hearts of the sorrowful.

In the world of existence there is indeed no greater power than the power of love. When the heart of man is aglow with the flame of love, he is ready to sacrifice all -- even his life. In the Gospel it is said God is love.

There are four kinds of love. The first is the love that flows from God to man; it consists of the inexhaustible graces, the Divine effulgence and heavenly illumination. Through this love the world of being receives life. Through this love man is endowed with physical existence, until, through the breath of the Holy Spirit -- this same love -- he receives eternal life and becomes the image of the Living God. This love is the origin of all the love in the world of creation.

The second is the love that flows from man to God. This is faith, attraction to the Divine, enkindlement, progress, entrance into the Kingdom of God, receiving the Bounties of God, illumination with the lights of the Kingdom. This love is the origin of all philanthropy; this love causes the hearts of men to reflect the rays of the Sun of Reality.

The third is the love of God towards the Self or Identity of God. This is the transfiguration of His Beauty, the reflection of Himself in the mirror of His Creation. This is the reality of love, the Ancient Love, the Eternal Love. Through one ray of this Love all other love exists.

The fourth is the love of man for man. The love which exists between the hearts of believers is prompted by the ideal of the unity of spirits. This love is attained through the knowledge of God, so that men see the Divine Love reflected in the heart. Each sees in the other the Beauty of God reflected in the soul, and finding this point of similarity, they are attracted to one another in love. This love will make all men the waves of one sea, this love will make them all the stars of one heaven and the fruits of one tree. This love will bring the realization of true accord, the foundation of real unity.

But the love which sometimes exists between friends is not (true) love, because it is subject to transmutation; this is merely fascination. As the breeze blows, the slender trees yield. If the wind is in the East the tree leans to the West, and if the wind turns to the West the tree leans to the East. This kind of love is originated by the accidental conditions of life. This is not love, it is merely acquaintanceship; it is subject to change.

Today you will see two souls apparently in close friendship; tomorrow all this may be changed. Yesterday they were ready to die for one another, today they shun one another's society! This is not love; it is the yielding of the hearts to the accidents of life. When that which has caused this 'love' to exist passes, the love passes also; this is not in reality love.

Love is only of the four kinds that I have explained. (a) The love of God towards the identity of God. Christ has said God is Love. (b) The love of God for His children -- for His servants. (c) The love of man for God and (d) the love of man for man. These four kinds of love originate from God. These are rays from the Sun of Reality; these are the Breathings of the Holy Spirit; these are the Signs of the Reality."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 3:34:46 PM PST
Astrocat says:
I., the "lamp" can just as well be a system of thought as an individual. The teachings I study are a "lamp unto my feet".
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 43 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  44
Total posts:  1053
Initial post:  Nov 25, 2012
Latest post:  8 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions