Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

Why Do Christians Bring up The Same Tired Arguments Refuted Long Ago?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 12:16:16 PM PST
Ard Fhaidh says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 12:18:03 PM PST
Ard Fhaidh says:
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2011 9:44:40 PM PST
David Marshall says:
Who makes this ridiculous argument?

"The universe is mysterious, God is mysterious, therefore God exists?"

No wonder you find CHristian arguments absurd -- you make them up as you go along.

Ard Fhaidh
Now where would New Atheism be without straw men?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 12:32:29 PM PST
Ard Fhaidh says:
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 12:03:41 PM PST
BV says:
LT - "If God exists, and you follow his commandments, you go to heaven."

This is not even Christianity! That comes from somewhere else, so you are correct in cutting that one down. Your ticket to heaven is a gift from Jesus - you can't earn it.

Ard Fhaidh
At time it seems just like trying to reason with Islamic fundamentalists. They can not get even the most basic of Christian doctrines right. But they're are absolutely convinced that Christianity in wrong!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 12:39:19 PM PST
Lew Craig says:
Ah, an age old question. God is not impotent or malevolent. He has created this Earth for us to be tried and tested. The evil that does exist in this world is not his creation, but the opportunity to see how we will react to the evil around us. We have our agency as to how we will react. If people were more obedient to the commandments and precepts that have been given, many of the evils in this world would be nonexistent. Yes, there are random forces that do exist, but if God saved everyone from all evil, we would not have the opportunity to choose good from evil.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 12:42:08 PM PST
poorvic says:
What else is there for them? Take away religion and the bearded old fella up there somewhere and then christians (and those of other fairy tale beliefs) might have to think.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 12:46:28 PM PST
Lew Craig says:
You assume the ONLY motivation believers have for doing good is a heavenly reward. As a believer, I want to make the world a better place here and now. I give money to my Church and other just causes for the good it does now: feeding the hungry, helping to eliminate disease, etc. If this helps me have a better afterlife, fine, but I do it because it is a blessing to others now. You assume service to a church and giving to one's community takes resources from life sustaining activities. These are life sustaining activities.

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 12:50:58 PM PST
G. Howard says:
Lew these are all good posts, it just makes me love him more because he got through my ignorance to understand the Gospel.

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 5:09:06 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 7, 2011 7:51:48 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 6:23:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2011 6:32:15 PM PST
Hello G. Howard,

Why don't you provide some scientific or some kind of evidence that supports your notion that a soul exists.

1. Please provide supporting evidence where the soul is located.
2. Please provide supporting evidence that it even exists.

You are making the claim that a soul exists somewhere floating around in the human body somewhere. So where is somewhere? Please provide something to support your claim.

Anyone can say anything exists. Talk is cheap. So back up your extraordinary claims that a soul exists with some extraordinary evidence or even some sort of evidence which can be verified and corroborated.

It is a good thing you are not a scientist or a surgeon. In all your posts you provide nothing. A bunch of words and wishful thinking. Your claim is as absurd as me saying that tiny little fairies reside in our synapses. At least that statement would provide a location. Your claim doesn't even provide location. Your claim of a soul is a discombobulated load of made up nonsense that is not going to get past someone with some semblance of intelligence.

Evidence please for the soul instead of just going around talking it up that a soul exists. Provide some evidence.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 6:29:37 PM PST
J. Green says:
alexander..... God doesn't have to play games with sinful, evil men who reject him. He just doesn't!
-----------------------------------
Cause he's god gosh darn it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 6:33:24 PM PST
J. Green says:
howard...... God is not going to be our debtor, he owes us nothing but has offered us everything. He alone makes us good.
-------------------------
What religion are you?
"he alone makes us good'?????????????
What about jHchrist .

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 6:35:37 PM PST
J. Green says:
G. Howard says:
The Gospel of Jesus
-------------------------
WOW
Does the POPE know about this.
I have never seen this one.
Can you give a link.
When was it written.

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 6:35:39 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 7, 2011 7:51:54 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 6:37:06 PM PST
J. Green says:
howard....You have most defineately broke Gods commandments.
-------------------------------
Which commandment.
What are these commandments for.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 6:38:41 PM PST
J. Green says:
willis...... Is it chance or God? Are there any other choices because I don't accept chance.
-----------------------------------
You don't accept chance but you accept a magical person.

How old is the universe?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 6:40:20 PM PST
J. Green says:
howard....Thats golden we can observe thoughts, how does that travel from my mind to yours in a conversation then?
------------------------------
Ohhhh
Your from Texas.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 6:42:19 PM PST
J. Green says:
lew..... Yes, there are random forces that do exist, but if God saved everyone from all evil, we would not have the opportunity to choose good from evil.
---------------------------------------------
Does god love everyone the same.
Does it give everyone the same chance

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 6:44:30 PM PST
J. Green says:
stein....Just my humble, non scientific opinion...
------------------------------------------
Yes its true .
You do have limited understanding

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 6:53:06 PM PST
Tammy says:
"You do have limited understanding"

As do we all.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 8:46:58 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 7, 2011 7:52:01 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 8:49:50 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 7, 2011 7:52:09 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 8:53:22 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 7, 2011 7:52:15 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 9:04:04 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 7, 2011 7:52:20 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 9:11:32 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 7, 2011 7:52:28 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 9:14:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2011 9:35:20 PM PST
Re Marshall, 12-1 9:38 PM: "Who "refuted" Mere Christianity?" I did -- and so can you. Lewis' argument is based on the supposed existence of an absolute morality, an idea which he cribbed from Kant (who called it the "categorical imperative"). From the supposed existence of such, Lewis "deduces" that a god exists. The flaws in this argument are:
- There is no demonstrable, or even credible, premise that says that an absolute morality (if it existed) necessarily implies the existence of any sort of god -- let alone the Yahweh/Christian one.
- There is no such thing as an absolute morality. Moral codes are developed by societies for their own enhancement, and differ among societies and over time; there is nothing absolute about any of them.
It is interesting that Francis Collins fell into this trap, explicitly crediting Lewis in his "The Language of God." For the real lowdown on this, see: Cunningham, "Decoding the Language of God."

As for Pascal, consider this: "I, God, have determined, for reasons of My own, that I shall hide My existence from mankind. Anyone who properly concludes that there is no reason to believe in Me shall be rewarded with paradise for his perspicacity, while those who suppose My existence, absent any evidence to so believe, shall be cast into the fire for their foolishness." This is not in the least any more preposterous than Pascal's version.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1052 9 days ago
What do "born agains" actually believe about Jesus? I am confused. Want to discuss. 8836 29 seconds ago
Catholic-Protestant Discussion Part XXXV 7039 6 minutes ago
Fellow Christian parents: How can I stop my son from being attracted to 77 18 minutes ago
My Mob's pub and coffee shop. Part the Eleventh 7624 30 minutes ago
Jesus never "died for our sins" 1785 34 minutes ago
Part 3- the somewhat newer thread 25 34 minutes ago
The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints is Christian. 6148 34 minutes ago
Religion, No Religion - Who Really Cares? 15 37 minutes ago
The Christ Myth: is it possible Jesus never existed? 646 1 hour ago
Eternal life is obtained through faith in the atonement Jesus made. 4855 1 hour ago
"If we are lovers of the light we adore it in whatever lamp it may become manifest" 2354 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  339
Total posts:  9737
Initial post:  Dec 1, 2011
Latest post:  Sep 30, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions