Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amethyst Jewelry Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale
Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

Is Christopher Hitchens in heaven?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 2101-2125 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2012 9:50:31 PM PDT
Bohemian Man says:
Nancy Davidson,

So you don"t require PROOF to believe something?

Well, you came to the right forum then.

I believe we turn into yellow Twinkies when we die, and the chosen people get vanilla filling.

I have as much PROOF for THAT as you do for your belief.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2012 9:52:49 PM PDT
Bohemian Man says:
Bubba,

The band ONLY played "at the hop" in the documentary.

You have to go on Youtube to see the whole performance with the other songs.

Posted on Aug 24, 2012 9:56:45 PM PDT
Bohemian Man says:
False alarm.

However, someone did steal my plants.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2012 9:58:59 PM PDT
Bohemian Man says:
Irish Lace,

YIKES!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2012 10:22:11 PM PDT
Bubba says:
I goofed and mixed up the movie with the Woodstock Festival Soundtrack. I hate when that happens.

The original release of Woodstock Festival Soundtrack included "At The Hop". Later releases added "Duke Of Earl", "Book of Love", "Teen Angel", and "Get A Job".

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2012 10:23:47 PM PDT
Bubba says:
I am sorry to hear that your plants were stolen. Will replacement plants grow quickly there?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2012 10:44:33 PM PDT
B. Josephson says:
Bubba, if I am not mistaken the plants are a type of weed.

Best Wishes,
Shaamba Kaambwaat

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2012 10:52:06 PM PDT
Then they will no doubt regrow quickly.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 5:48:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 25, 2012 5:55:17 AM PDT
Lao Tzu says:
leigh, I almost missed your post, saw it in a reply to someone else.

Leigh says: The disparaging remarks you non-Christians make on these forums are intended to insult and cause Christians emotional distress, that is why you make them and there is no honour in what you are doing only ignorance and stupidity.

Lao says: I want to disparage bad arguments, the same way you might want to disparage a sign that says "Behead THose that Insult Islam!" I think about it the same way.

As to whether I want to cause emotional distress, there is no way you could conclude that if you look at the body of all the posts I make. I am trying to argue in good faith, and educate. There are a few exceptions to this.

And, I will say that there might be some temporary emotional stress in letting go of a false consolation. It would be like if my girlfriend broke up with me, and married someone else. If I continued to emotionally cling to the relationship, a good friend should come to me and say "its over man, you need to move on". That would be a kind friend, one that might risk my anger. That is what I am trying to do here - risk an argument by trying to help people move on from false consolations so they can "look life in the eye", so to speak.

Helping people overcome superstition is one of the kindest things I know how to do. Helping people become more rational is what I do for a living. Rational people are better equipped to face life's challenges.

Its funny leigh, if I knew you in real life, I might not want to convince you there is no God. You were kind enough to share some of the pain you have been in, and even a false consolation is better than none at all. I would like to replace it with real consolation, but not everyone is prepared to make that step.

I think you have replaced one bad relationship (your ex) with another bad relationship (mythical father figure). Your habits may not have changed as much as you think. This is a good revelation for you, there is more growth opportunity here if you journal about it.

I could respond to other parts of your post, but the point above is too important to dilute it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 5:52:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 25, 2012 5:54:05 AM PDT
Lao Tzu says:
SPL - meaning that rational argument would never convince anyone of a god, you need to "feel" your way to it, and do your best to avoid the facts, taht is what I mean that you cannot argue someone into Christianity. You can however argue someone into atheism. More than 50% of the atheists here were former Christians that were argued into atheism.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 6:03:38 AM PDT
Irish Lace says:
Excellent post.

Posted on Aug 25, 2012 7:24:39 AM PDT
Leigh I have no problem with causing Christians emotional stress. They have no problem doing the same to gays, lesbians, atheists etc..........

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 8:09:06 AM PDT
Bubba says:
Christians also cause physical injury to gays.

http://www.wbbjtv.com/news/local/Assault-Complaints-Filed-after-Incident-at-Church-130746713.html

http://atheism.about.com/b/2005/04/13/evangelical-christians-beating-gays-in-the-name-of-god.htm

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/05/02/north-carolina-pastor-sean-harris-urges-parents-to-man-up-and-punch-effeminate-children/

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 8:55:00 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 25, 2012 8:58:55 AM PDT]

Posted on Aug 25, 2012 9:06:07 AM PDT
Weird I just posted that there is no connection between homosexuality and pedophilia and it was deleted. Trying again to see if it was in error.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 9:54:15 AM PDT
leigh says:
J.Russell <

Says : My Response That presupposes that the Bible is true. Something I don't believe.

If you knew I had known, that you were going to ride down a road with a huge pot-hole in it, and you wrote-off two wheels in the pot-hole. Would you be annoyed with me, or would you thank me for not taxing your brain with such a ridiculous idea?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 9:57:46 AM PDT
leigh says:
Cilantron < I think someone may have already scooped out your brains!

Paul calls this worldly knowledge dung!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 10:02:40 AM PDT
"They have no problem doing the same to gays, lesbians, atheists etc.........."

Yeah, that's why we hang around websites with "Christian" in the title, because we know there will always be atheists there we can harass...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 10:09:42 AM PDT
leigh says:
Lao Tzu < May I ask you what has you so convinced that your faith is correct?
Your intention might be for good, but the road to hell is paved with them!

Why don't you apply your passion to politics?

To me an atheist - is someone who dives over a cliff to catch a one cent coin, when there are millions of dollars, allocated to them, at the bank.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 10:14:00 AM PDT
leigh says:
PJA < Next time you hear a Christian do this, quote James 4:11-12 to them.

By the way, these beliefs are based on what God says in His Word.
The person doing this is probably just concerned that those lifestyles all lead to their annihilation (see Rev 21:8). The devils in the details - as they say.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 10:14:15 AM PDT
To me a theist, someone who believes in the absence of evidence, is somebody who is so busy looking at the the clouds that look like faces and bunnies that he doesn't notice that he just walked off a cliff, having wasted a life in pursuit of a chimera.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 10:18:46 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 25, 2012 11:09:42 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 10:20:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 25, 2012 10:33:29 AM PDT
J. Russell says:
J.Russell <

Says : My Response That presupposes that the Bible is true. Something I don't believe.
leigh says:
If you knew I had known, that you were going to ride down a road with a huge pot-hole in it, and you wrote-off two wheels in the pot-hole. Would you be annoyed with me, or would you thank me for not taxing your brain with such a ridiculous idea?

My Response;
OK I read that sentence several times and I can't make head ot tails out of it.
Are you trying to say "but it is true and one day you will thank me for telling you that the Bible is true"?
What is this response,,,,I told you so, I told you so and one day you will see?
Oh yea that is a convincing argument.

I say I have read the Bible and I find it contradictory, I find the god depicted in the Bible to be capricious and not a god worthy of worship. I find that the Bible is written in such a way as to allow five people to read it and come away with five different ways of understand what they have read, one would think that a canon that was truly gods word concise and impossible to misunderstand.
To be honest most Christians have never actually read the Bible, instead they have had a sentence here and a sentence there spoon feed to them along with a Pastor or Minister telling them what it really means.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 10:39:59 AM PDT
leigh says:
J. Russell < Pot-hole story

I know there is a pot-hole and don't tell you.
You damage two wheels of your vehicle.
When we next meet are you?

1) Angry, because I didn't warn you.

OR

2) Pleased, because I didn't force my opinion on you, as good drivers avoid pot-holes - so you are assured I think you are a good driver.

Which is it 1 or 2?

If five people look at the same verse in the Bible and derive five different interpretations, perhaps one or none are correct!

A little knowledge is dangerous!

You say : "To be honest most Christians have never actually read the Bible, instead they have had a sentence here and a sentence there spoon feed to them along with a Pastor or Minister telling them what it really means."

You are correct here, the truth is that people couldn't be bothered, or are too lazy or too busy, and then deride anyone else who thinks it is important.

Nobody really wants to be annihilated!

My father used to mock me for years until the last few months of his life.
Ask a nurse about watching an unbeliever die, there are some horrific accounts of famous atheists screaming about the fire and burning, during the last hours of their lives. I don't believe this is a desirable way to die, even if there was no afterlife as you suppose. Doing the right thing and looking out for your neighbour is a lifestyle most people adapt anyway, so why is it such a stretch to worship God as Creator?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 10:45:29 AM PDT
Joe Anthony says:
Spinoza says:

"Fortunately, it's very unlikely that most of us will ever be in a position where we will be forced to sell out our beliefs under pain of torture. Many people just require money, both Christians and atheists...That's like judging ethics and morals using the fictitious example of a group of people in a lifeboat with limited supplies. Whom do you kill and eat first to stay alive, and why, and is this ethical, and if so, why or why not?...Problem is, not many of us live in lifeboats, and not many of us still live in the sort of Christian philosophical system you champion, where one is tested as to their moral fiber upon pain of death. Jeez Louise, sounds like the rack and the Inquisition."

I say:

You don't think people in this bad dog-eat-dog economy are living in lifeboats? You don't think that the guy who has to decide which good man he needs to fire isn't going through a kind of torture? What about all these people who are chomping at the bit because they're afraid of losing their jobs? If you don't believe look around yourself and see how many Americans are taking ant-depressant and anti-anxiety medication; pills to go to sleep; pills to stay awake, pills to remember, pills to forget...believe there are a lot of people who are hanging by a thread, doing everything they can to maintain some kind of sanity and order in a world where this bad economy and fear of losing one's livelihood has creating a working environment of favoritism, nepotism, back-biting and sucking up to the boss...

...and, yet; we are the lucky ones. The majority of the world lives in abject poverty, on a day-by-day existence. For them, religion is all they have.

You say that we're not living in lifeboats. many of us don't even have a lifeboat. Indeed, the ship has sunk and we're trying to swim to shore in shark infested waters. For many of us, including myself, religion is the lifeboat.

While I think an atheist can maintain some kind of happiness and find meaning in this cruel world, and even become more moral and giving of himself or herself than a devoutly religious person; I think that it takes a very strong person to do so. Most of us, including myself, are not that strong.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  128
Total posts:  8125
Initial post:  Aug 7, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions