Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

If there were a god, why would this great, all-knowing, god

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 30, 2012 11:52:27 PM PDT
Sane Citizen says:
If there were a god, why would this great, all-knowing, god of the universe, who would know he's the best thing, the mightiest thing, care if the tiny people of earth, so insignificant compared to the universe, praise him/her/it or not? Wouldn't that make god the most insecure thing in the universe? I mean, seriously, if there were a great, all-knowing god of the universe, he'd show up once in a while, and be so great as not to need us little people praising him/her/it or telling him/her/it what he/she/it already knows. It makes no sense unless this great god is terribly insecure. And please don't explain with bible verses, because that's the usual circular reasoning that stops all intelligence at what the bible says, not allowing for our 'god-given' intelligence to come up with independent reasons for anything.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 12:21:14 AM PDT
DocMMV says:
I am not going to argue with you or even discuss the matter with you. All I want to say is that you have absolutely NO IDEA how significant, even extravagant, Man is in the universe.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 12:49:21 AM PDT
Jack Vix says:
Says who? A man?

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 12:56:32 AM PDT
Sane Citizen,

I am just curious, who says that God cares if we praise them? Remember, you cannot use Bible verses because that is circular reasoning and that stops all intelligence.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 1:00:52 AM PDT
Jack Vix says:
He's like an insecure annoying girlfriend. Calls up Abraham all needy. "Abraham. AbraHAM! kill your son! Kill your SON!!!" "What? Why?!" "Because if you don't do it you don't love me." "(sigh)Alright, I'll do it." He takes his son up to the mountain and gets ready to gut him with a knife "WAIT!!!" "What?!!" "Don't kill your son!" "What the hell do you WANT from me!"

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 1:05:47 AM PDT
Jack Vix says:
Obviously theists.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 1:31:30 AM PDT
tsarina says:
Good Morning Sane Citizen,

Your question illustrates very well a great mis-understanding in theists and athists alike: no god would create for such a petty reason. God did not create us in order for us to grovel, but in order for Him to nurture us. "Worship" is not grovelling or being afraid, but is having a confidence and friendship with the Almighty - that has always been His aim for us. We all have free will and, unlike religion, will never ask us to relinquish it - friendship which is forced is no friendship at-all - so His aim has been to see those who choose to to grow and and develop under His care. He doesn't force Himself on us, but responds to those who approach Him in sincerity, however tentatively and however slowly, at the speed we can individually manage.

I understand that you have intelligence, and perhaps this explanation will seem reasonable to you, if not as effective as the standard human way of progress which so often involves coercion.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 1:41:16 AM PDT
Sane Citizen says:
Your comment is an attempt to be clever, that falls on its face.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 1:43:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 31, 2012 1:44:54 AM PDT
"Your comment is an attempt to be clever, that falls on its face."

He's trying to find out if you know what in Gehenna you are talking about. My money is on "no".

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 8:40:12 AM PDT
DocMMV says:
Fingers,
Generally, I would say that gambling is wrong, but that is a safe bet.
Carry on.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 9:02:05 PM PDT
Sane Citizen,

Is it because your comment falls on its face, and I just showed you how it falls on its face?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 11:34:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 1, 2012 11:35:06 PM PDT
Sane Citizen says:
ScoopingCatLitter, a good name for you.

Your comment falls on another part of your anatomy...

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 11:37:30 PM PDT
Sane Citizen says:
Fingers, it's not wicked to understand that people of all cultures throughout history have made-up gods for themselves. Christian gods are no different than the others.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 11:39:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 1, 2012 11:39:58 PM PDT
Sane Citizen says:
tsarina,

There are too many tenets in Christianity which belie what you wrote. Your god is a vengeful god (just read the bible), and he won't let you into your heaven unless you believe what you may not want to believe using independent thinking. A nurturing god would do just that, and not care what we thought.

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 11:43:35 PM PDT
Sane Citizen says:
And to DocMMV,

when an intelligent person realizes how many billions of galaxies there are in the universe, how many billions of suns there are in those galaxies, and how many millions upon millions of planets there are around those suns (we have seen many so far), one realizes that it is simply arrogance to think we are alone in that big universe. In other words, if you don't believe that, then your god sure wasted a hell of a lot of space and matter. Now that would be a sin.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2012 12:02:48 AM PDT
Sane Citizen says:
CatLitter, to answer your comment from another thread where someone wrote:
"The chief end of man is to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever"

Now you see how I'm correct? Every Christian I've ever known believes that you must praise and glorify god.

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 12:05:02 AM PDT
Sane Citizen says:
CZARINA:
YOU WROTE: "He doesn't force Himself on us..."
Oh, please, you're so wrong. If you don't accept jesus you will never make it to heaven. Just a little subtle forcing himself on you...

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 6:22:31 AM PDT
It would indeed be silly to think God needed our praise and worship, as if He were some petty, tinpot movie star always angling for admiration. God forbid we should ever think God was like that.

Love tends to spontaneously spill over into praise. This is why people keep pictures of their children in their wallets and show them off to everybody. This is why people who are in love are always talking about how beautiful/handsome the other one is and going on and on about them. It's a very natural piece of human nature. We're hard-wired to think and behave that way. It also happens to be one of our greatest pleasures.

It's equally true (though less noticed) that praise tends to spontaneously spill over into love eventually, if done long enough and with even a grain of sincerity.

God asks for our praise and worship because these things are useful to us in helping us to love Him, and because they are meant to become sources of pleasure for us in the long term, ever the longer the more. In other words, He asks us to do them for our own sakes, not for His.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2012 7:08:28 AM PDT
JJB says:
but the bible can't be read- according to your original post - remember. so where did you get God is vengeful from?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2012 5:21:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 2, 2012 5:23:06 PM PDT
Lufer says:
You make a very good point. I KNOW for a fact that if an omniscient, benevolent and omnipotent god existed, he/she/it would be nothing like the mouth breathing, knuckle dragging, egoistic troglodyte that most Christians make him/her/it out to be.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2012 7:01:53 PM PDT
Sane Citizen,

Did you notice that the quote you give shows that the chief end of man is to glorify God, not that God said the chief aim of man is to glorify God? Do you not see the difference between the two, and you brought up the second, i.e. God asks man to do it.

So I do not see you are correct. And remember, if you bring up that people say it is in the Bible, then it is to argue in a circle.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 12:31:48 AM PDT
Sane Citizen says:
CATLITTER,

In my opinion, if you can understand what you wrote on your June 2 post, then your nightstand must be filled with prescription bottles.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 12:32:51 AM PDT
Sane Citizen says:
JJB, you also make no sense at all. You may think you're being clever, however it just seems silly.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 1:16:42 AM PDT
Sane Citizen,

I just pointed something simple out to you. You brought up that "God said that the chief aim of man is...", or something of the same general idea. You quoted to me who said that "the chief aim of man is...". The first means that God dictates to Sane Citizen that they are to worship God. The second means does not rely on God itself, so the people are worshiping God on their own, while God never asked or told them to do it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 6:10:37 AM PDT
JJB says:
i think i am making a helluva lot more sense than you are. your entire premise is just plain stupid right outta da gate. every single attribute that you are questioning comes from the bible and yet you are telling people they can't use the bible- this is idiotic!

what- do you think you are god?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  May 30, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions