Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

We know cannibalism is a sin

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 196 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 19, 2012 11:41:16 AM PDT
A Customer says:
What about eating man's best friend? It does seem like it's immoral
Your reply to A Customer's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 11:48:31 AM PDT
Only if you are emotionally attached to the dog. Emotional attachment to a potential source of food, is a luxury if you are in a 3rd world country and starving to death.

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 11:51:16 AM PDT
A Customer says:
emotional attachment makes it a sin?

I don't know of any sins that work like that

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 11:51:52 AM PDT
Amon says:
Where does it say that cannibalism is sin?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 11:52:47 AM PDT
Hi Mac!

Ugh, I know that the idea of eating dogs is abhorrent to us here. It makes me physically ill and want to cry to even think about it. But that is in reality a Western culture bias. In Eastern cultures it is acceptable and traditional. Nearly impossible for us to comprehend- absolutely. But imagine what a Hindu person would think of whole farms full of cows that will one day become a nice medium-rare filet mignon or a pot roast. They'd be appalled!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 11:54:24 AM PDT
Tammy says:
Dogs would be considered unclean. They have toes and do not chew the cud.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 12:00:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 19, 2012 12:01:09 PM PDT
A Customer says:
Interesting Gaelic. Though we do get into the idea of whether one culture is more morally advanced than another. If you subscribe that one culture can be more advanced morally than another, for example the Western culture as opposed to the Taliban (on many issues), then maybe the taboo against the eating of man's best friend is a morally advanced position, as opposed to just a cultural difference.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 12:00:23 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
What exactly is sinful or immoral about either of those two activities. Innately disgusting maybe, but where's the "sin"?

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 12:02:19 PM PDT
Rev. Otter says:
hey ... since dogs are not halal, does this prove that Obama *isn't* Muslim?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 12:08:15 PM PDT
A Customer says:
Obama ate a dog?!

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 12:10:08 PM PDT
Brian Curtis says:
Cannibalism is not a sin in Christianity; in fact, the eucharist ceremony makes the opposite case.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 12:12:08 PM PDT
I'm not so sure on the "morally advanced" premise, to be honest. The Hindu person in the example would then find us "less" morally advanced because we eat an animal they consider sacred. Muslims and Orthodox Jews would find everybody who eats pork "less" morally advanced too, whereas for most of us here in the U.S. it's "the other white meat"!
Differences in cultures aren't usually better or worse "morally", just our own filters color our perceptions.

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 12:18:08 PM PDT
For those who consider cannibalism to be a sin: Would it still be a sin if it were the dying person's express wish that their flesh be eaten after their death? Also, would scarcity of food factor into this?

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 12:25:22 PM PDT
I'm not a big fan of eating animals in general -- but I don't think it's more wrong to eat dog than other mammals.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 12:26:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 19, 2012 12:29:31 PM PDT
A Customer says:
Ok, how about actual cannibalism (not surviving on the bodies of the already dead on a snow covered mountain), but actual cannibalism like on some South Pacific island, where the tribesmen hunt down living people with the express purpose of killing them to then eat. If we can say that that is morally repugnant (can we?) then why can we not include dogs in the category of those you can not slaughter for the purpose of eating?

Just throwing these ideas out there. Not claiming to know the right answer.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 12:28:01 PM PDT
Craig says:
You're not gunna let the Pres slide on this one are you? ROFL

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 12:29:07 PM PDT
Rev. Otter says:
are dogs human now?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 12:33:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 19, 2012 12:33:52 PM PDT
A Customer says:
Why did Michael Vick go to prison for a couple of years?

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 12:34:08 PM PDT
Rev. Otter says:
Dear Sir,

I am glad to hear that your studio audience disapproves of the last skit as strongly as I. As a naval officer I abhor the implication that the Royal Navy is a haven for cannibalism. It is well known that we now have the problem relatively under control, and that it is the RAF who now suffer the largest casualties in this area. And what do you think the Argylls ate in Aden. Arabs?

Yours etc.,
Captain B.J. Smethwick in a white wine sauce with shallots, mushrooms and garlic.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 12:34:28 PM PDT
Craig says:
Why should that surprise anyone.

http://technorati.com/lifestyle/article/obama-legalizes-horse-slaughter-for-human/

"Obama Legalizes Horse Slaughter for Human Consumption"

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 12:42:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 19, 2012 12:44:33 PM PDT
A Customer says:
Maybe he wants to make Indonesian dog and horse Gumbo

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 12:50:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 19, 2012 12:51:07 PM PDT
I think it's just innate/evolutionary in humans that animals=food source. What animals are acceptable to eat in the culture comes along down the line and is influenced by countless factors.

Eating people is almost a universal taboo, if I remember Anthropology 101 correctly. It has been awhile....... :-0
The cultures that do aren't doing it for sustinance. It seems more shamanistic. Eating your enemy's heart will imbue you with his courage, etc. Good terror tactic too I would imagine if you're the unfortunate tribe on the recieving end.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 12:53:35 PM PDT
Tammy says:
Does Obama have toes or chew cud?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 12:54:27 PM PDT
That piece of human sewage should have gotten the same treatment he gave those poor dogs. Animal cruelty laws in this country have so far to go yet.
I'd gladly give up some karma points to give him what he deserves.

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 1:00:58 PM PDT
Rev. Otter says:
and how come we can keep dogs as a pets, but when we try to do the same with people, all of a sudden it's "slavery"?!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  196
Initial post:  Apr 19, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions