Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

Student/Young Adult Bible recommendations

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 24, 2012 2:19:06 PM PST
My little sister is starting to go to a Bible study group for the first time at the age of 19. We did not grow up in a religious home, so this is a very new experience for her. I would like to buy her an appropriate copy of the bible. Are there any recommendations that you have?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2012 3:02:32 PM PST
I like the New American Standard (NASB) which is a word-for-word translation and the New King James (NKJV) as well. Also the King James is great for memorization and lyrical almost poetic 17th century English verbiage.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2012 4:37:41 PM PST
This one would be complete:

Bible: New American Bible, Revised Edition 2011

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2012 4:39:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 24, 2012 4:41:34 PM PST
Pope Jim says:
Get her a Life Application Study Bible NIV.
Lots of application tips, and basic growth studies.

Very easy to read, which is what a new person needs. The other recommendations here are too tough for somone new.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2012 4:45:22 PM PST
Hi jenifer, what do you mean by appropriate?

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 7:47:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 24, 2012 8:07:42 PM PST
M. Simonson says:
There are online versions of the Bible of course, so this means you can read through some first, and it also means that whatever printed version she gets the others are always available in electronic from. One place to view on-line versions is here ...

http://www.biblegateway.com/versions/

There are "literal" bibles and others are more "paraphrase" bibles.
Sometimes the old King James and American Standard (old) are called the Old Literal Style
and the NASB (New American Standard) is called the New Literal style.

Versions like Young's Literal can be good for detailed studies on certain passages, but not good as a first choice or your only printed copy.
The paraphrase bibles in general have many more mistakes, and the problem tends to be that the translators interpret what they think the Bible says instead of translating it.
Sometimes a nondenominational church or a denomination will choose to use a certain version for study. So it may be proper for some folks to get such a copy even though they also use others.

A fun test is to look up a passage like Galatians 5 ... from Young's Literal ...

11- And I, brethren, if uncircumcision I yet preach, why yet am I persecuted? then hath the stumbling-block of the cross been done away;
12 - O that even they would cut themselves off who are unsettling you!

That is a pretty good translation of what Paul actually said. Paul appears to be using a common biblical expression about the false teacher/believer being cut off from the body of believers. But that isn't what Paul said, Paul said what he said.
Some will try to interpret it for you instead of just translating it ...

The NIV says ...

11 Brothers and sisters, if I am still preaching circumcision, why am I still being persecuted? In that case the offense of the cross has been abolished. 12 As for those agitators, I wish they would go the whole way and emasculate themselves!

Nowhere is the word "emasculate" or any equivalent found in the original Greek. Nor is the expression "go the whole way" The NIV is even worse in other places.

The NASB which is supposed to be literal is just about as bad.

11 - But I, brethren, if I still preach circumcision, why am I still persecuted? Then the stumbling block of the cross has been abolished.
12 - I wish that those who are troubling you would even mutilate themselves.

Again, no Greek word for mutilate is in the original text. But the NASB makes many fewer mistakes than the NIV. In this case "mutilate" is just a bad translation of the Greek word "apokopto" and it is still the literal style.

That's the problem with paraphrase versions of the Bible.

In more advanced Bible study, or a closer examination of passages there are Greek and Hebrew interlinear versions available on-line ...

http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/Greek_Index.htm
http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/Hebrew_Index.htm

What version is probably less important than understanding the idea that one is reading a translation from another language, and that in some cases it helps to do a little more research.

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 7:58:18 PM PST
B. Rogers says:
I really like the NIV Study Bible

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 6:08:20 PM PDT
Eliza says:
esv is a great one. The translation is accurate and it is very easy to understand.

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 6:16:36 PM PDT
Ryan Willis says:
I agree with Simonson on this. There isn't a single version that has it all right and if you're only going to get one Bible and it's for the purpose of real study then you are indeed better off getting a credible interlinear Bible. Otherwise, if you really want to go above and beyond, you can own a KJV, an NIV, and an NASB and get each in a Study Bible format that comes with a Greek and Hebrew dictionary or get such a dictionary separately. It can be just as good, if one doesn't mind putting in the extra effort, to have multiple translations plus a credible dictionary and compare with each verse to find the one that matches the best.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012 6:18:04 PM PDT
"My little sister is starting to go to a Bible study group for the first time at the age of 19. We did not grow up in a religious home, so this is a very new experience for her. I would like to buy her an appropriate copy of the bible. Are there any recommendations that you have?"

I vote for the ESV. It is a formal translation, so it is word for word, yet it is still smooth reading. Best of all, it is in the public domain so it is dirt cheap.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
612 20 days ago
Was the Temptation of Christ a "real" temptation? 26 5 minutes ago
Can Christianity be saved from the harm done by Literalist ID/Creationist End Times fundies: Part theSixth 6962 5 minutes ago
Catholicism is based on Jesus Christ- Part 9 4732 7 minutes ago
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the restored church II 9658 9 minutes ago
Why Heaven is (apparently) a Logical Impossibility 105 11 minutes ago
The Historical Jesus 6375 12 minutes ago
Catholic-Protestant Discussion Part XXVIII 1253 18 minutes ago
Slowly Through The Book of Isaiah 7769 21 minutes ago
Embracing an Alternative Orthodoxy 3 23 minutes ago
Humans did NOT evolve from Apes 6437 43 minutes ago
Why doesn't God... 573 48 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Feb 24, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions