Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

Why are atheists so angry at believers?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 3051-3075 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 3:05:16 AM PDT
True Robert. I would hate to have to compile the Oxford Dictionary. Imagine all the new words that have to be added and described every year....

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 5:57:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2012 5:59:37 AM PDT
Bubba:
I live in "Fluffya" (Philadelphia), ya know, where dem Fullies 'n Iggles 'n Flars are, so it's an easy drive down to Virginia. I'm always pleased when my friends down there invite me to "set a spell and visit" and offer me a Co-cola.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 6:04:15 AM PDT
King's Kid says:
Co-cola with peanuts in it?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 6:12:05 AM PDT
K.K.

Eeewww wheeee! Yes sir! Zing, what a feeling. Don't work so good with them biled peanuts, tho.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 6:18:57 AM PDT
King's Kid says:
YUK! That's an abomination against peanuts. Who got it into their heads to bile them? Proly some yankee.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 7:47:36 AM PDT
Iatric says:
Is that really what you get out of those verses or are you intentionally misunderstanding them?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 7:49:10 AM PDT
Iatric says:
So am I to understand that if bullying is done to people you support or agree with, it's bullying, but for those you don't it's just ridicule? Really???

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 7:50:16 AM PDT
King's Kid says:
Aren't they the same thing Iatric?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 8:30:14 AM PDT
Bubba says:
If you want to hear an authentic southwest Kansas accent, listen to Festus in "Gunsmoke". His accent was still common in southwest Kansas in the early 1980s, and I about swallowed my gum when I first heard somebody speaking (and looking) just like Festus in Lamar, CO, which is where many people from southwest Kansas would shop for TVs and appliances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8363Z3V0Es
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAmzR9-v-Zk

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 8:38:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2012 8:39:32 AM PDT
Bubba says:
Boiled peanuts used to be very common in Georgia. When I first lived in GA about 20 years ago, there were many roadside stands boiling and selling peanuts. Now, it is very hard to find places that boil peanuts; a few convenience stores still sell boiled peanuts, but they are NASTY because they are not fresh from the pot.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 8:48:12 AM PDT
OMD. You sound like the narrator for the Beverly Hillbillies..lol

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 9:35:15 AM PDT
Re PJA 6-29 3:05 AM: The compilers of the OED have a considerable challenge on their hands. When is a new word in sufficiently widespread use to warrant being included? And they need to proceed with some care: the work is like a Roach Motel -- once a word gets in, it doesn't get out.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 9:36:42 AM PDT
Bubba:
I think boiled peanuts are just nasty, period. You know where they sell a lot of them? Up in the Grandfather Mountain region of North Carolina. That and Kettle Corn. There're roadside stands under those pop-up tent-like things all over the place, especially when the Gathering of the Clans and the Scottish Games take place around the 4th of July.
Has anyone ever been to the Gathering of the Clans and the Games? Fantastic, if you like that sort of thing. I do. The Scottish Olympics! And all those extras from Braveheart always show up, beating on their drums by torch and moonlight. All hot and barbaric. Enough to make a little old girl from Philly swoon.

We may be civilized after a manner, but I've seen first hand that there's something in these earthy, primitive displays that speaks to something equally earthy and primitive in many of us. And I don't think you necessarily have to have the blood of a Scotsman in you to answer the call. It's no wonder the 'pipes and drums were used to call men to battle, besides the loudness factor, of course.

Which could bring this right back around to religion. There's definitely similarities.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 9:37:49 AM PDT
PJA:
Aw, shucks. (Grin)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 9:48:40 AM PDT
OMD. Lol. I used to love the Beverly Hillbillies anyway...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 9:53:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2012 9:54:32 AM PDT
. M. Dalessandro says:
Bubba:
I think boiled peanuts are just nasty, period. You know where they sell a lot of them? Up in the Grandfather Mountain region of North Carolina. That and Kettle Corn. There're roadside stands under those pop-up tent-like things all over the place, especially when the Gathering of the Clans and the Scottish Games take place around the 4th of July.
Has anyone ever been to the Gathering of the Clans and the Games? Fantastic, if you like that sort of thing. I do. The Scottish Olympics! And all those extras from Braveheart always show up, beating on their drums by torch and moonlight. All hot and barbaric. Enough to make a little old girl from Philly swoon.

We may be civilized after a manner, but I've seen first hand that there's something in these earthy, primitive displays that speaks to something equally earthy and primitive in many of us. And I don't think you necessarily have to have the blood of a Scotsman in you to answer the call. It's no wonder the 'pipes and drums were used to call men to battle, besides the loudness factor, of course.

Which could bring this right back around to religion. There's definitely similarities.

PJA. Thats because the KJV was written during the time of King James. It will have been written in the language of that period. Imagine if the bible was written in today's English? Jesus changing the water into wine would become ichangewine app. God would most likely be more politically correct. Pontius Pilate would be more like a tabloid figure. And of course the crucifixion would be a media event also broadcast over the internet.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 10:24:16 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 29, 2012 5:56:05 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 10:34:36 AM PDT
Iatric says:
Yes, and yet some seem to want to make the distinction. Sad but true.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 10:54:26 AM PDT
Bubba says:
I like Cajun spiced boiled peanuts, and some vendors' boiled peanuts are better than others.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 11:03:19 AM PDT
PJA:
Judas would resemble a character from the Twilight Saga. Kind of sexy and kind of not quite right. Or maybe Barnabas Collins. The sort of character it's dangerous to love.

Yes, CNN and FOX would definitely be fighting, tooth and nail, for the best talking head shots for their round the clock coverage of the crucifixion. The bible would have to have links in it, (because you could read it on Kindle, of course) that would take you directly to these sound bites.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 11:04:36 AM PDT
Well now, the Cajun ones are a definite possibility. Anything Cajun is all good.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 11:13:53 AM PDT
Mel says:
Why are Christians so angry about science?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 11:14:39 AM PDT
Indeed. OMD. And of course there would have to webcam installed right on top of the cross for HD coverage.And google translate app from Aramaic to modern.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 11:15:26 AM PDT
Brian Curtis says:
That's been going on a loooong, long time, Mel.....

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 11:40:16 AM PDT
Oh no! There would need to be one at the foot of the cross, too, for tight up-shots.
You know how tasteless these 24 hour news outlets can be. Nothing is ever too gory or too sad to get right into the face of.

But I love the idea of an Aramaic to English translation crawl across the bottom of the screen. And wouldn't that be a great app to have for the Kindle bible.

This would be a wonderful boost for the economy, PJA. Think of all the people that would need to be employed. Make-up, hair, costume, continuity, editors, assistant directors, camera men, language coaches, animal wranglers (for the donkey and sheep, of course), grips, best boys, lighting, props, the list is endless, all for LIVE coverage. For links and sound bites, for the new and improved Kindle bible.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  110
Total posts:  3076
Initial post:  Jun 1, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions