Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

Anti-bullying speaker bullies some in crowd, curses Christian teens

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 376-400 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 5:11:57 PM PDT
Faith

Give me a break! Tax collectors are traditionally the most reviled people in the town or village. This was true in 1st ce Judea.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 5:15:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 2, 2012 5:19:33 PM PDT
Katydid

The new testament deals with Greco-Roman style slavery, very different than Hebrew on Hebrew bondmen. This slavery was not condemned.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 5:15:58 PM PDT
The "Westboro Baptists" are frauds. Fred Phelps is a Democrat and a huge Al Gore/global warming fan. They are leftist troublemakers, not a church and not conservative.

They are even more vile than they appear.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 5:35:40 PM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
I'm tempted to LOL -- an "anti-bullying" speaker bullying students! Isn't that rich.

It IS gratifying that he revealed his true agenda.

I hope those students have enough sense to see this. There's a great lesson for them to learn here.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 5:36:24 PM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
"I'm glad the students who were offended walked out."

Me too, Faith. Good for them! Maybe there's hope for this country yet. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 5:37:20 PM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
Wow, I thought Mac's words were actually quite nice in comparison to lots of anti-Rep posts here.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 5:39:10 PM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
Mac: "Savage, and his husband, were also guests at the White House for President Obama's 2011 LGBT Pride Month reception. He was also invited to a White House anti-bullying conference."

Gr8fl2bHis: Another ironic fact here: In 2008, Obama campaigned in defense of traditional marriage -- this was supposedly why many Christians voted for him. I couldn't believe then that they really believed that. He certainly didn't fool me.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 5:40:07 PM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
I understand your sentiment, John. At the same time, though, I think those students got a very important lesson -- the speaker's REAL agenda was on display for all to see.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 5:40:58 PM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
Iatric: Of course what you choose to ignore is that the anti-bullying crowd has complained about the "words" of others and how hurtful and wrong it is. But don't let facts get in the way. Funny how quickly it changes when done to others.

Gr8fl2bHis: Yep, yep, and yep.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 5:42:07 PM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
That was nothing BUT Christian (and Bible) bashing.

I dare him to get up and say this sort of thing about the Qu'ran. That'll be the day.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 5:42:33 PM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
LOL! All he did was expose his own hypocrisy.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 5:43:36 PM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
Dan Savage was simply illogically doing what he was supposed to be decrying -- bullying.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 5:44:57 PM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
Actually, the Bible's clearly-stated stance on homosexuality (as on all immorality) is not outdated at all. It is clearly written in the NT as well.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 5:45:32 PM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
I just want him to get up and say that about the Qu'ran. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 5:46:26 PM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
Yep, THIS is the issue, Mac. Lots of folks just want to talk all around it.

At least mrs exp is honest. I admire her for that.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 5:47:19 PM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
Iatric: You missed the boat also apparently. Two things happened. First, a rude comment was made that prompted some to get up and leave. As they left, the bullying occurred.

Gr8fl2bHis: Yep, THIS is the point. Lots of mental gymnastics here in a (vain) attempt to avoid it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 5:48:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 2, 2012 6:02:03 PM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
Joe Anthony (to Etc): Am I to understand that you think it's OK to call the Bible "BS" to a bunch of high school students, and that if any of those high school students are offended than they deserve to be mocked? "Deserved to be mocked"...those were YOUR words; am I right? So what you are saying is that it's OK to mock a high school kid?

Gr8fl2bHis: Yep, sure sounds like Etc thinks bullying is JUST FINE.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 5:50:06 PM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
Mac: The disconnect is that a lot of homosexuals *really believe* that Christianity is behind the bullying of gay kids in high school. The hard fact is, in high school, A) the bullies usually are not the religious kids. And B), the bullies pick on kids, not because they think they are "sinners", they pick on the kids who are "different" (i.e. the nerds, the fat kids, the ugly kids, the boys who have feminine mannerisms, the wimpy kids, etc.). Anyone who looks back on high school with an objective memory will recall this fact.

But to guys like this Dan Savage, those facts are too depressing to accept, so they try and build an alternate universe where all their troubles can be laid at the feet of Christianity. And in the process they become the intolerant bigots they claim are the problem in our society.

Gr8fl2bHis: Great point, Mac. You've hit the nail on the head here.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 5:50:38 PM PDT
Kilgore says:
jesus christ never stated anything about homosexuality. if you go by your thought process the new testament also stated things on slavery.. what's your point?

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 5:51:58 PM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
Joe Anthony: Was Savage hired as a guest speaker on bullying or was he hired to speak as someone pushing an anti-Christian agenda? If you had Rick Santorum come to school and give a speech saying that homosexuality goes against God's law, you'd be up in arms about and say that he hasn't any right to say that to a bunch of impressionable kids.

What shouldn't Savage be held to the same standard?

Gr8fl2bHis: Bingo! This is what I've been saying for years. Glad to hear someone else saying it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 5:52:47 PM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
Nope, Savage was not right. He is a cowardly bully himself.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 5:58:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 2, 2012 5:59:34 PM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
Dude, what Bible have you read? Christ Jesus was sent to the Jews, and they were already STEEPED in OT law. He didn't HAVE to mention homosexuality, just as He didn't need to condemn any other immorality the Lord deemed abomination.

Because He sent Paul to Gentiles who had no way of knowing God's moral law, it was necessary for Paul to instruct them in God's definition of morality and immorality.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 6:03:35 PM PDT
Gr8

So is the stance on slavery. So it's okay for you to own one?

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 6:03:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 2, 2012 6:04:56 PM PDT
Kilgore says:
he didn't have to? is this the same excuse given by the churches when african americans were separated from white churches, slaves, inter racial marriage was prohibited? what a load of b.s. same argument different generation

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 6:04:41 PM PDT
"jesus christ never stated anything about homosexuality"

He never said "don't eat broken glass" either. Using your logic eating broken glass must be okay.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
620 Feb 14, 2015
Seriously starting to change my mind about atheism. Can someone tell me why I'm wrong 773 1 minute ago
Do you follow the 10 Commandment! 136 1 minute ago
Our Redemption Draweth Nigh... God's Prophetic clock is counting down! Part Two 2378 3 minutes ago
Bishop Spong on Fundamentalism and Authoritarianism vs. German Biblical Scholarship 2 6 minutes ago
What does the cross mean to you? 977 13 minutes ago
The Restored Church of Jesus Christ 5093 24 minutes ago
The Wedding Cake for anti-gays 1706 1 hour ago
Can Christianity be saved from the harm done by Literalist ID/Creationist End Times fundies: Part the Eighth 1386 1 hour ago
Part 6 - the new thread 5187 1 hour ago
Catholicism is based on Jesus Christ - Part 10 986 1 hour ago
Where does Jesus tell Christians not to do business with gays? 1089 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  51
Total posts:  1149
Initial post:  Apr 28, 2012
Latest post:  May 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions