Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

Moment-of-Broken-ness Testimonies

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 4176-4200 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 8:02:00 PM PDT
My graduating class was...1955....whoa...my birthday is late October, so I am...74...until then.

yes, about the pajamas.... I rarely have company that is unexpected...which can be nice, although I like company.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 8:19:44 PM PDT
Tinker says:
I understand, lol. The years pass quickly, don't they? I see my life in thirds. One third with my parents, married at barely 19 and married for 18 years - another third, and married for the last 23 years.

Maybe I'll change it to fourths, as there are many years ahead of me to enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 8:25:59 PM PDT
I was married five months before my 21st birthday. Married for 27 years...divorced and married my childhood sweetheart...for 20 years...he left me so many times the last time I told him what Israel said..."never again"....and he sort of scraped me off on Social Security. Ah, love...too bad they wouldn't love God.

I don't see my years ahead in any increments...just a path to whatever the Lord opens up for the time left, and I don't mean my life...only. It won't be too long for the entire World.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 8:39:21 PM PDT
Tinker says:
I like this, seeing it as a continuing journey. My life is new in Christ, His path is the one I want in my life. It just seems that about 20 years was the common denominator in being at home, then for each marriage.

I grew up with a father who had a very quick temper and got angry at me very easily. I didn't see it against my siblings, but I learned to be afraid. It took me years to understand that the pattern was set and in both marriages their anger was very similar, but much worse. I'm very aware now that I don't have to try and placate or please those who are angry or don't agree with me.

Hard lesson.

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 8:40:22 PM PDT
Tinker says:
Janice, you asked me about the elect. I found this commentary from 2 Peter 2:2.

2. (2) Peter's description of his readers and all Christians.

Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace to you and peace be multiplied.

a. Elect according to the foreknowledge: They are elect. This means simply that they are chosen, chosen by God in a particular and unique sense.

b. Their election is according to the foreknowledge of God. God's choosing is not random or uninformed, but according to His foreknowledge, which is an aspect of His omniscience. This foreknowledge includes prior knowledge of our response to the gospel, but is not solely dependent on it.

i. Though God's election is according to . . . foreknowledge, there is more to His foreknowledge than His prior knowledge of my response to Jesus. Election is not election at all if it is only a quid pro quo arrangement between my choosing and God's.

c. In sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience: An essential result of election is sanctification and obedience. While some would like to think that election has only to do with going to heaven or hell, Peter reminds us that it touches earth also. A claim to be elect is doubtful if there is no evidence of sanctification and obedience.

d. And sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: However, since all the elect fall short of perfect sanctification and obedience, there is cleansing from sin provided for them through the sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ.

i. There were only three circumstances in the Old Testament where blood was sprinkled on people. First, at the establishment of a covenant (Exodus 24:5-8). Second, at the ordination of Aaron and his sons (Exodus 29:21). Finally, in the purification ceremony for a cleansed leper (Leviticus 14:6-7).

ii. The sprinkling of the blood of Jesus on us accomplishes the same things. First, a covenant is formed, then we are ordained as priests to Him, and finally we are cleansed from our corruption and sin. Each one of these things is ours through the work of Jesus on the cross.

e. God the Father . . . the Spirit . . . Jesus Christ: Peter's effortless way of combining the work of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit in our salvation displays the New Testament approach to the Trinity. It is not detailed as a specific doctrine, but woven into the warp and woof of the New Testament.

i. Jesus has a Father, but not in the sense of being higher than He who gave Him existence. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit have existed together throughout eternity, and each are equally God. Father and Son are terms used to describe the relationship between these first two members of the Trinity.

f. Grace to you and peace be multiplied: Peter brings a greeting that had become common among the Christians, combining elements from Greek culture (Grace) and Jewish culture (peace).

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 9:13:28 PM PDT
My dad was similar. I told my oldest daughter about my childhood, and she said "you were abused"...not the way people think, but many children are suffering under cruel dictatorships...but each family is like a 'country'...with a king and queen ruling. If God isn't the power and wisdom, there is a warp being taught, and administered to the child.

I am thankful that the Lord can lead us out of that bondage...like any, and set us free. My step from childhood to marriage was similar. Without the Lord, we are led by something...else.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 10:33:58 PM PDT
Tinker says:
Yes, we really don have similar lives. My dad 'spanked' me until I was 13. To me it was much more than spanking and I got a rebellious spirit. My mom would disappear when he became angry and hit me, then he would feel bad and want to cuddle. I don't know why she didn't step in unless she felt I deserved it.

I made many mistakes with my girls, no parent is perfect. It did make me fear men and crave emotional closeness. Not a good combination. I had very low self esteem.

I would get a feeling of wanting to pull away and just run outside when my dad did this. I'm not sure why my mom never said a word.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 5:25:32 AM PDT
When my dad got home from work, my mother would start to tell him the things I did that she didn't like during the day. She would tell him during supper, and I would be told I would be spanked as soon as we ate.

I didn't like meal time, either...and didn't eat...after supper, down to the basement during the summer (closed windows) and upstairs to the bathroom during winter.

My younger sister got away with things and didn't get spanked like I did. I wasn't rebellious. I guess they thought I should be perfect, but that couldn't happen. (I think my mother had illusions of Shirley Temple with me, and I may have had the curly hair, but I didn't have the personality. I wanted to hide, not dance and sing. 8-)

I was very thankful that I had my new life before I had my first child and He taught ME many things through her fleshly baby behavior. He would point things out about ME. Very thankful.

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 5:53:38 AM PDT
I just made a pass through some of the other threads, and came in here to "wash off", where it is safer to speak.

This has been quite an education seeing how people view themselves, and God...and the blatant and unleashed judgement against HIM...and us.

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 8:12:34 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 28, 2012 8:45:16 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 8:59:32 AM PDT
Oh, how wonderful to find Cheri and Barbara sharing their childhoods and how God took control of their lives. I've been reading down and thinking about my childhood and how similar mine was to both of them. The whippings--not spankings--especially. My heart is so moved by these posts. Very busy this morning but I'll be back.

Lord, we thank you for this amazing place to share with each other, to pray for each other. Thank you, Jesus, for providing a sort of home here. I pray for my sisters right now. Keep your hand on them as you've been doing. Lead us on with love, in Jesus name I pray...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 7:01:25 PM PDT
Tinker says:
I'm so sorry. So many of us were raised in fear, especially if we were active amd our siblings were laid back or just hid what they were doing.

Yes, the spanking was abuse in the way it was done.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 7:02:10 PM PDT
Tinker says:
Come to the living water! So much hate, anger, and sarcasm against believers.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 7:03:41 PM PDT
Tinker says:
And Amen! My dad would want to cuddle after these whippings which was very confusing to me.. I just wanted to get away. It made my spirit rebellious against him, but I was a 'good girl'. I could have rebelled in so many ways, but it did make me crave being loved.

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 8:09:36 PM PDT
Tinker says:
Today my good friend from Chicago who now lives in Texas was in town to see her family and we went to lunch and then I had my first professional manicure and pedicure!! What a treat. The only problem is that they give you these funny slippers to wear home until the polish is good and dry and now I can't find one of my shoes!

It's the only pair I can wear that are halfway comfortable amd I can't imagine where it is. I called my friend to check her car, called the place we were at and looked here until I'm exhausted. I swear, I would lose my head if it wasn't fastened on. Well, God knows where that shoe is!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 8:42:13 AM PDT
Cheri and all: just dropping by to say I love you and to pray for you. Cheri, yeah, you've got to find that shoe. I have special shoes too, but not quite as limited in my footwear. I love you very much and I thank you. Haven't gotten around to reading your passages yet on "whom God calls." I'll be back later. Neck and back muscles are in spasms so can't sit long in front of my computer. j

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 9:49:14 AM PDT
Don't accept ANY shoe from ANY handsome prince, whatever you do!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 9:51:13 AM PDT
I'm so sorry. That is horrible. These bodies have to hold out just a bit longer. I actually told my eye doctor that I asked the Lord to "please hold me together just a little bit longer"...

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 10:20:09 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 29, 2012 5:56:04 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 10:46:51 AM PDT
Tinker says:
You gave me a huge laugh!! NO, not even from a king, lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 10:51:27 AM PDT
Tinker says:
Please take care of yourself, spasms are so painful.

My neighbor took me to the vet so I could get my little dog's shots. He said she didn't need all of them so saved me some money. She does need dental surgery (must run in the family) and has a small tumor on her chest. He will take care of both at the same time. Her teeth are causing her lots of pain.

Wouldn't you know, they noticed her tongue turns purple when she gets excited, some kind of respiratory distress. I just need to make sure she doesn't get too upset, but she sleeps most of the time. I thought she had asthma.

Ignorance was almost bliss, but I don't want her to be in pain. I know how painful teeth can be.

Have a good day all, and Jamice please just rest and heal. I'm praying.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 5:48:21 AM PDT
Good morning, Cheri. I'm much better today. Trying to work on my first mystery novel--going pretty good but frustrated because I can't sit long to type it all in. Sorry about your dog having problems. I know how they can become like children to us doglovers. Love you; praying for you, J

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 5:49:15 AM PDT
B: I agree. Love to you all, J

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 5:56:26 AM PDT
Cheri, thanks so much for the Scripture concerning God's elect. This is so interesting to me because of the Scripture "God chooses who he will." Also because of the strong influence of the Primitive Baptist church, just across the creek on our farm. Strong belief in predestination. And truly in my own life i've been witness to it: if I could have been saved early on in my days, I wouold have. But I had to wait for the Spirit's wooing at just the right time to be saved. Still, I know too that I had to reach that point of total submission to Jesus. Love and thanks... God bless this Scripture and the one who copied it here. J

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 10:03:36 AM PDT
Tinker says:
Three showings this afternoon, I so appreciate your prayers. Pray God will let them see past the mauve (NOT pink) carpeting and upgrades and see the possibilities.

God knows my needs.
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1197 12 days ago
If a man dies will he live again? Or, is physical death the end? 1057 37 seconds ago
My Mob's pub and coffee shop, Part the Twelfth 430 3 minutes ago
The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints is Christian. 7669 7 minutes ago
Mary was not sinless. 6916 7 minutes ago
Interesting Comments by Posters 255 8 minutes ago
Judas was only a cover for JAMES THE JUST(video and interview by Sahansdal) 16 11 minutes ago
The Historical Jesus 8651 16 minutes ago
Jesus never "died for our sins" 3456 19 minutes ago
Part 3- the somewhat newer thread 375 27 minutes ago
What do "born agains" actually believe about Jesus? I am confused. Want to discuss. 9527 27 minutes ago
Christianity described as a 'profitable fable' by an early pope. 143 30 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  87
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  May 12, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 28, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions