Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

The Bible is clear... So where are you going the day that you die?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 4351-4375 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2012 12:07:49 PM PDT
mrs exp says:
JagdTiger,
It makes sense to me.
exp

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2012 12:38:15 PM PDT
leigh says:
mrs exp < regarding the events
2000AM Abraham left Ur aged 52y
3000AM 15th year of King Asa see 2Ch 15:10
4000AM Jesus was crucified
5979AM Where we are now- How long yet? We don't know!
6000AM The 1000y Sabbath begins - Rev 19:1- 20:6
7000AM The 2nd Resurrection and Judgement Day - Rev 20:7 ->

The scripture says we don't know the day and the hour,
so we could work out the year and the month :-)

I believe that the first resurrection will take place before the plagues begin.
See Luke 21:36 - "Watch and be ready to escape all these things."
I believe that as there are two Passover Celebrations.
The Rapture is on the first, and the second Passover will be when the 144000 Jews of the 12 tribes, lose their lives because they will not worship the beast or take his mark. This is because they are defiled by the body of Jesus see Matthew 27:25. But this is all my opinion. Regards

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 1:10:15 PM PDT
leigh says:
BPL < I've just read your six page article on how Christianity created modern science.

Don't you think that contributions to science have come from all over the world.
Pythagorus & Euclid in mathematics, Samurai swords in the art of steelmaking, Romans in road-building for example.

What about the following verses in the Bible?
Joshua 10:12-13 - The sun stands still
2Kings 20:9-11 - The sun moves backwards
2Chron 26:15 - King Uzziah builds catapults
Job 10:8-12 - God forms man in the womb
Jeremiah 1:5 - God knows our spirit before we are born.

And lastly the Jewish astronomers, perhaps descendants of the school of Daniel, in Matthew 2 who correctly interpreted what they were seeing in the skies as the declaration of the birth of the Messiah.

I do agree that science is supported by wealth and leisure time, which are not really available to the working classes.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2012 1:21:24 PM PDT
Lois says:
AM?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2012 1:47:11 PM PDT
Things like samurai sword making are not really science. They are empiricism. In other words, through much trial and error the swordmakers gradually came up with a lot of ad hoc procedures and rules for making a really, really good steel sword.

The difference between empiricism and science is that science uses theories to direct the trial and error process. A good example would be the development of semiconductors in electronics. First came the theory of semiconductors, which guided the subsequent development of the transistor and other applications. It is unlikely that the transistor could have been developed purely by empiricism.

Modern science, i.e., the systematic use of theory to guide investigation, did not begin until Galileo.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2012 5:35:52 PM PDT
mrs exp: Scientists are trying to define kind. Google 'baraminology.'

BPL: "Baramins" is a term thought up by one creationist, and used only by creationists. It has no referent in standard biology. It's just Hebrew for "created kinds."

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2012 6:44:39 PM PDT
down2erth says:
mrs exp, That would be Revelation 11:18

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 1:18:31 AM PDT
leigh says:
AM = Anno Mundi - the years since creation began.

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 1:29:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 5, 2012 1:53:11 AM PDT
leigh says:
Arpard < Have you seen how these Master Craftsmen make a sword?
In my opinion it is one of the most beautiful applications of knowledge
where science, craftsmanship and art are combined.

Are you saying that in science, one begins with a theory, constructs the device,
and hey presto - the perfect solution?

My experience is that, 'Things are not as simple as they may seem to appear!' and the road to success is usually paved with many failures. The theory does not always work, in practice.

Knowledge is science and science is knowledge, IMHO.

Didn't Pythagorus and Euclid practice science?
Is Philosophy the only pure science?
Scientists are always standing on the science foundation of the past!

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 1:38:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 5, 2012 1:48:46 AM PDT
leigh says:
Arpard < Empiricism

My dictionary says, based on observation or experiment not on theory.
But aren't theories birthed from observations or experiments?

I feel you are splitting hairs here!

Empiricism is a recipe for a cake and science is producing a great cake! :-)

Could empiricism be described as the task a robot could perform?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 3:39:09 AM PDT
Science is not the same as knowledge. There are many varieties of knowledge, including some which have nothing to do with the natural world.

My point about science versus empiricism is that science goes beyond empiricism to attempt unifying theoretical explanations which allow rational predictions about what will and won't work in advance. An example is the difference between metallurgy before and after the development of a workable theory of solid state physics. Before, one just tried many combinations to see what interesting properties one could find. After one could make predictions in advance about what kinds of properties various combinations might have.

Pythagorus and Euclid did not practice science. They did not seek to explain the natural world through hypothesis building and the testing of hypotheses by experiment and observation. This type of science began with Galileo.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 3:42:52 AM PDT
Empiricism is a process of trial and error not guided by an explicit underlying theoretical construct. E.g. metallurgy prior to the advent of the modern theory of solids, or chemistry prior to the development of the periodic table, etc.

Agree observations can lead to new theories, but making observations without any underlying theoretical basis for interpreting them is not science, it's just data collecting. Like a butterfly collector who collects butterflies and sorts them by color, size, etc. but makes no effort to understand more deeply what dictates a butterfly's color, size, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 5:12:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 5, 2012 5:49:09 AM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
karmaman, Christianity is NOT a religion as is Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, and all others. There are very real foundational differences.

In all those religions, people must attain to a level of goodness at which they did not start out. They must be good enough to attain what is promised to them. Many hope their good deeds will outweigh their evil deeds. They die without having assurance of eternal life.

The is the direct opposite of the Christian faith. We know we could never achieve the righteousness of God. We know we cannot accomplish any good thing apart from His Holy Spirit working in us.

The biggest difference of all is that we do not believe in a man who died as all other men, whose body is still in his grave.

Yes, true Christianity is a relationship. We come to the Father through the Lord Jesus Christ who gave His own life for us that we might become new creations in Him. Because of this, the Father receives us and we become His children. We are heirs of eternal life.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 5:18:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 5, 2012 5:58:52 AM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
From the ESV, which was translated from the original languages:

14 Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Behold, the (U)virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

U. Isaiah 7:14 : Gen. 24:43 (Heb.); Ex. 2:8 (Heb.); Ps. 68:25 (Heb.); Prov. 30:19 (Heb.)
--------

Young women became pregnant and bore sons every day. This could not have been a sign. A sign would have to be something unusual, totally different from the norm.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 5:18:12 AM PDT
brunumb says:
Christianity IS a religion. Different rules, same game.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 5:22:13 AM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
You're wrong, Mickey. Muslims do not believe Mohammed IS the truth. They believe he was a prophet only, they know he died as all other men, and that his body is still in the grave today.

Bilquis Sheikh went from believing in Mohammed to entering into a relationship with God as Father. She explains here the differences between the Islam religion, and relationship with God through Christ Jesus, in this book:

I Dared to Call Him Father: The Miraculous Story of a Muslim Woman's Encounter with God

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 5:35:18 AM PDT
I know this, thank you. I realize just the verse didn't explain much. Hearing and responding to the Lord's Spirit means so much more than just words on a page.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 5:51:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 5, 2012 5:53:02 AM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
Sorry, but you're 100% wrong.

Bilquis Sheikh is one who learned the difference:

I Dared to Call Him Father: The Miraculous Story of a Muslim Woman's Encounter with God

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 5:52:53 AM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
BN, I wasn't correcting you so much as giving further info. I knew you already knew the truth. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 5:58:43 AM PDT
Whew.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 5:59:38 AM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
:)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 6:01:40 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 5, 2012 6:01:58 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 6:04:02 AM PDT
brunumb says:
So I guess that in the interests of truth and honesty they will now relinquish their tax exempt status.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 6:05:07 AM PDT
This is the one the Muslims are preparing for. I found the estimated times rather interesting:

"In Islamic eschatology, the Mahdi (Arabic: مهدي‎ / ISO 233: mahdī / English: Guided One) is the prophesied redeemer of Islam who will rule for seven, nine or nineteen years- (according to various interpretations) before the Day of Judgment (yawm al-qiyamah / literally, the Day of Resurrection) and will rid the world of wrongdoing, injustice and tyranny."

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 6:13:32 AM PDT
When Adam walked with God in the Garden, it was a relationship.
When Adam rebelled against God's authority that relationship was broken.
Jesus Christ has reconciled those who have received and trust Him, back to that relationship lost to Adam, regained in Jesus Christ.

Far too many have made a religion out of Christianity, but the true relationship with Him still is as Jesus provided, and it is He Who is involved personally with each true believer.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1052 8 days ago
Jesus never "died for our sins" 1755 1 minute ago
Catholic-Protestant Discussion Part XXXV 6930 3 minutes ago
What do "born agains" actually believe about Jesus? I am confused. Want to discuss. 8788 11 minutes ago
The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints is Christian. 6124 15 minutes ago
Transgender Individuals 5658 26 minutes ago
My Mob's pub and coffee shop. Part the Eleventh 7593 30 minutes ago
Religion, No Religion - Who Really Cares? 4 39 minutes ago
Goblue appreciation thread 84 41 minutes ago
"If we are lovers of the light we adore it in whatever lamp it may become manifest" 2353 45 minutes ago
Fellow Christian parents: How can I stop my son from being attracted to 76 46 minutes ago
Dispensations and the Gospels, Part Two 7143 46 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  169
Total posts:  6044
Initial post:  Jun 2, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions