Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

The Bible is clear... So where are you going the day that you die?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 4676-4700 of 6044 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 12:52:31 AM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
ND: And Christ has been known by many other names, which I'm sure you know. There was Horus, and Krishna, for starters, and lots of others along the way.

BPL: Except that they were not "Christ" unless you stretch the definition past plausibility. Krishna would never have said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father, but by me," let along "Unless you believe that I am he, you will die in your sins."

The problem with syncretism is that it makes a hash of things. When Hinduism becomes identical with Christianity, neither means anything any more.
----------

Amen, Barton.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 12:56:20 AM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 12:58:20 AM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
Nancy, eternity is not reincarnation. Those who go to be with the Lord for all eternity will not come back to this life as another person. Neither will those who reject Him and incur His judgment.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 1:01:25 AM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
When we die our body and our soul stays here on this earth; we are a spirit, we live in a body and we have a soul. "Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it." Ecclesiates 12:7

One day (in God's own order) every human being who has ever lived will stand before Christ Jesus to be judged...rewarded or sent to eternal damnation). You see...spirits don't die. Physical death is: separation from our spirits; spiritual death is: separation from God. Solomon was right: a dead body knows nothing.
--------------------------

THIS is truth, B. Banks. Thanks for posting.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 5:48:28 AM PDT
B. Nixon says:
And we keep on because we know they are headed for "game over".
It is pretty sad, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 5:52:36 AM PDT
B. Nixon says:
True.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 5:57:06 AM PDT
B. Nixon says:
A good thing, too, because we will be together with the Lord...forever.
8-)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 6:20:58 AM PDT
B. Nixon says:
When the children of Israel were in bondage in Egypt...they could not muster courage and weapons and free themselves. They were totally in bondage.

God sent to them a deliverer, Moses, and with God's Spirit and power...Moses in his obedience to God was involved with, and exhibited, the power of God in, around, and through Moses!!

No Israelite could walk free without the man, Moses, surrounded and empowered by God's Spirit!!

What makes any person think that the bondage Adam plunged the World into, SIN and DEATH, could be strolled out by mere men? When guarded, not by Egyptian guards, but by Principalities, Powers, and Rulers of this present darkness?? Spirit FORCES keeping the World in bondage...to SIN???

There were "beliefs" throughout Egypt. They burned incense, they had sacrifices to their gods, they believed in those...spirit forces.

Only GOD within a Man would have the power to overthrow those forces, and Jesus operated ONLY as a man, living by FAITH. Not only as a demonstration of how God had wanted Adam to be, but the only One Who could overcome the BONDAGE of Sin and Death held over us all by the one who rules this present World.

God didn't send Moses, a mere man, He sent His SON. God did all that He has done FOR US...understand it all, or not, HE was the only power to overcome SIN, and the Only One to set us FREE. By also entering into death, He overcame it...unlocked its power, and returned FROM it...to lead us OUT!! By His Spirit, His love, His POWER...we who have received Him...have been set...free. Forever with Him in His Kingdom.

Just as we all shared the nature of Adam, we who have received Jesus Christ as to Who He IS, Savior, Lord,...are born into His kingdom, a new generation...and a new nature. No longer bound by Adam, but free in Jesus Christ.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 6:30:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 11, 2012 6:33:38 AM PDT
B. Nixon says:
Just as I wrote about Egypt and Moses, people attempt to appease, or get strength from foreign gods...anything but God's WAY. Attention (away) from Him is what they want, because their leader thinks himself to BE the Most High. There should be far more caution before thinking that our little selves can appease those forces against the Creator.

From the Internet: "The gods and goddesses of ancient Egypt were a complex group of beings and ideas. As the culture evolved, so did many of the deities and what they represented. Here are some of the best-known gods and goddesses of ancient Egypt..."

BN:(which makes no real difference who they are, just that they are worshipped other than God Himself.)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 7:36:59 AM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
BN: A good thing, too, because we will be together with the Lord...forever.
------

Amen! Looking forward to it. :)

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 7:59:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 11, 2012 8:00:22 AM PDT
I get a kick out of reading about all the conflicting interpretations of supernatural events, god(s), reincarnation stories and other metaphysical clutter on these forums. One can observe some of the same passionate differences of opinion among the scientific community, except that the scientific method and empirical evidence offers us the possibility to really know something of the truth and advance our knowledge further. However contentious the debate might have been, we are able to "move beyond" what has been disproved.
Simon Blackburn aptly described religions as "fossilized philosophies". Ancient myths and fanciful stories are "hardened" into doctrine and articles of faith that must be adhered to. Reason and logic are readily discarded. There are promised rewards for blind acceptance of miracles and supernatural events and/or there's constant threats of hideous punishment for free thought. Every metaphysical "experience", every chant, prayer and ritual separates us from all those others who "just don't get it".

I'm one of those folks who just doesn't get it... at least that's what I've been told my entire life by Christians, Scientologists, Hare Krishnas, Raelians and devotees of all manner of churches, cults and secret sects. Most of the atheists I've met are avid readers, not only biographies, history science - but also philosophy, comparative religion and mythology. Personally embracing "free thought" allows one to consider all the possibilities, and casually dismiss the ideas that are illogical, irrational, highly unlikely or demonstrably false. You're not locked into a "fossilized philosophy". You don't need to revisit (and repost) the same scriptural references, ad nauseum. You don't need to eat a cracker and imagine it's the body of a savior or fantasize that a neighbor will be burning for eternity because of his misplaced beliefs.
You follow and study religions, but you don't join them. You don't hate god(s) or deny there's a remote possibility that one might exist, you simply see no evidence of god(s). Your personal philosophy, much like life itself, is capable of evolution.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 8:04:33 AM PDT
Lois says:
BPL: Why non-Christians think they can take over our God and reinterpret him to fit themselves escapes me. If a Christian tried to tell a Hindu or Muslim or Buddhist what those religions "really" meant, and reinterpreted karma or Sharia in Christian terms, I think the latter would find it offensive.

Don't tell me we got the central teachings of our founder all wrong but you have it right.

Lois: And that is precisely why Jews find it offensive when Christians do the very same thing: re-defining their scripture and God's interactions and Word, from He Who made Himself known to them. You tell THEM they have THEIR own scripture all wrong, but you have it right. That they have all the prophecies of THEIR scripture all wrong, but you have it right.

Do you not see that we all serve One Magnificent God and everyone else does not have to be wrong in the way they serve Him, for you to be right in the way you do?

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 8:09:08 AM PDT
Thanks for following my post with this, Lois. Made me smile

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 8:16:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 11, 2012 8:21:49 AM PDT
Acts5v29 says:
Good afternoon Stephen Marley,

God's purpose is: - our return to Him.

God intended that Mankind should be partners with Him in creation. We were not as children in a playpen, but rather we were to finish the beautifying of the earth He had had created. When the first humans rebelled (that is the reason they were "not forgiven", that is, they didn't want forgiveness without the prospect of all they had come to believe they could gain from being independent from Him) they took authority in the earth from Him - that is, they exercised their free will to act without His guidance. They were warned that they could not survive without Him, but they followed the lure of all that independence could offer them.

God has been waiting for their descendents to learn through experience what those first humans would not take as advice. The climate crisis is the first event with the potential - if unchecked - to ruin Mankind, and it is demonstrating that we cannot survive without Him. When we reach breaking point, we will call for help, and He will rescue us - the Father rushing to greet the returning Prodigal Son whom He sees approaching far in the distance. Everyone - the good and the bad, the believer and the non-believer - will be preserved alive: no judgement at that time, no slaughter of the unfaithful, because the issue has been proof of that first prophecy and nothing else.

Thereafter, with everyone alive having seen proof of God's existence, we will all begin the future with the same initial knowledge, the same faith and justification for confidence in the Heavens. How we deal with that will depend on how we fare in the future, perhaps many centuries further down the line, which is when all the events of Revelation will take place - not before.

All the rest of the Bible has been a history of us, and God's guidance to prove His kindness and far-sightedness - so we could know to Whome we should call when the time comes. The misinterpretation of vast swathes of scripture has clouded God's reputation and His simple purpose - mostly in order to make this- or that- religion portray itself as authoritative and as the mythical "one-true religion". No church or religion agrees with this (and I am a member of none) infact many Christians have declared it as "evil" or as somehow not giving sufficient honour to the Christ. But in truth, God's purpose is and always has been the simple reuniting of Creation under Divine authority.

Hope this is helpful, I can point you to a short but fuller explanation if you want one to print out.

Acts5v29

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 8:23:17 AM PDT
Lois says:
You're welcome.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 8:35:20 AM PDT
r8fl2bHis says:
Yes, Isaiah 40 is a marvelous chapter filled with prophecy about the coming Messiah:

3 The voice of one crying in the wilderness:
"Prepare the way of the Lord;
Make straight in the desert
A highway for our God.

4 Every valley shall be exalted
And every mountain and hill brought low;
The crooked places shall be made straight
And the rough places smooth;

5 The glory of the Lord shall be revealed,
And all flesh shall see it together;
For the mouth of the Lord has spoken."

6 The voice said, "Cry out!"
And he said, "What shall I cry?"

"All flesh is grass,
And all its loveliness is like the flower of the field.

7 The grass withers, the flower fades,
Because the breath of the Lord blows upon it;
Surely the people are grass.

8 The grass withers, the flower fades,
But the word of our God stands forever."

9 O Zion,
You who bring good tidings,
Get up into the high mountain;
O Jerusalem,
You who bring good tidings,
Lift up your voice with strength,
Lift it up, be not afraid;
Say to the cities of Judah, "Behold your God!"

10 Behold, the Lord God shall come with a strong hand,
And His arm shall rule for Him;
Behold, His reward is with Him,
And His work before Him.

11 He will feed His flock like a shepherd;
He will gather the lambs with His arm,
And carry them in His bosom,
And gently lead those who are with young.

PJA. Nice to know that they had mind altering drugs in ancient times as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 8:37:40 AM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
BN: A good thing, too, because we will be together with the Lord...forever.
------

Amen! Looking forward to it. :)

PJA: How self serving and indulgent. What are you gonna do when you find you end up just dead? No magic kingdom. No eternal praising the insecure deity. Just dead. morto. .....

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 8:46:55 AM PDT
Gr, "Father Abraham, have pity on me.", (Luke 16:24), as those who have died are NOW ALIVE in Spirit before God, in Heaven, Hell or undergoing purification in which their Spirits are Being made perfect by Divine cleansing. (Hebrews 12:23,24, 1 Corinthians 11:32, James 2:13, Matthew 12:36, Luke 6:37,38, 1 Peter 3:19, "Who formerly disobeyed", Matthew 18:34,35) as "The gospel was preached EVEN TO THE DEAD, that although judged in the flesh like men, so that they now live in the SPirit like God.", (1 Peter 4:6, Matthew 17:1). Peace always in the Most Precious Blood of Jesus our Great God and Saviour

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 8:54:24 AM PDT
leigh says:
Hi Matthew, I discovered these verses in Job 14:21-22, which I think relates nicely to Luke 16:28!

"His sons come to honor, and he does not know it; they are brought low, and he does not perceive it. But his flesh will be in pain over it, and his soul will mourn over it."

What do you think?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 9:01:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 11, 2012 9:09:29 AM PDT
Leigh, Yes, as faith alone does not justify one before God, as we shall each receive as our works deserve, (James 2:24, Revelation 2:23) and although the rich man had faith as Paul affirms, "Anyone who has faith, has Abraham as his FATHER", (Galatians 3:7) the rich man though had no works to justify that faith, (James 2:13) and after death, was thus chastened when judged by the Lord as to NOT be condemned, (1 Corinthains 11:32), where his spirit was being made perfect by Divine cleansing though fire, (Hebrews 12:23,24, 1 Corinthians 3:15), as we must all STRIVE for that holiness without which no one can see the Lord. (Hebrews 12:14). Peace always in the Most Preciou Blood of Jesus our Great God and Saviour

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 9:25:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 11, 2012 9:27:05 AM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
Lois, that's like trying to compare apples to automobiles.

Hindus and Muslims and Buddhists do not believe the Bible. Muslims say they believe in Abraham, but then they get off track by saying that Isaac was not the son of the covenant, and the track continues to deviate more widely from then on.

BUT Christians believe the entire Bible from Genesis to Revelation. We believe every word of the OT is the Word of God (as well as the NT, of course). The guys you mentioned don't.

Your last sentence seems to shoot the messenger(s), for we only report what is written in God's Word. We did not write it. It was written centuries before we were here.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 9:26:15 AM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
PJA, what's it to you? Could you possibly care less?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 9:29:55 AM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
Good grief, brunumb, got a burr in your saddle today?

If you don't know, Cheri has been through a LOT already. There's no need to put her down.

For all you know, she could be supporting an orphan in Ethiopia each month.

But whether she is able to do this, or not, GOD CARES about her too.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 9:38:18 AM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
I really like that shade of red too.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 9:40:57 AM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  169
Total posts:  6044
Initial post:  Jun 2, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions