Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now DOTD
Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

If you believe Jesus is a historical person, why do you think he was deified.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 77 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 7:45:22 AM PDT
Celsus says: "Jesus' ignominious death ... had to be explained in a way that would allow the cult to continue, so they settled on the popular pagan idea of the rising god/man."

I believe this is true with respect to the Gentile mission. But I doubt that the Jerusalem sect (known as The Way in Acts) under James and Peter, who were devout Jews, would have any part in deifying Jesus. I'm not aware of any evidence to the contrary.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 8:00:59 AM PDT
Serene Night says:
"Perhaps when He returns He will "de-confuse" your mind. He'll explain everything. Just be ready for that event. "

That assumes I'm confused, which I don't believe I am. Why does this sound like 'wait until your father comes home?' =-)

Personally I think if Jesus were truly divine his divintiy would be provable, his resurrection would not be in doubt etc. Too much sounds like wishful thinking to me..

However, I would look forward to talking to Jesus. I'd be interested to see how his views have changed over the years.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 1:06:49 PM PDT
Richard says:
Celsus,

What did Jesus do to convince people he was the Messiah? What did he do to get crucified?

Clayton

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 1:25:07 PM PDT
Celsus says:
Clayton

>>What did Jesus do to convince people he was the Messiah?<<

I don't know, but he wouldn't have had to do much, considering the number of wannabe messiahs running around at the time, with their many followers.

>> What did he do to get crucified?<<

Probably something that irritated or threatened the Roman government. Celsus suggested he was killed for insurrection. The tale was later adapted to make the Jews the scapegoat, in order to put Christians in better standing with the Romans.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 4:32:00 PM PDT
K. Cooper says:
Clayton

By the time Jesus was crucified on Good Friday, he had a fairly large circle of followers. The Apostles, His family, His friends like Mary Magdalene and Lazarus and his family. When he preached The sermon on the Mount, he preached to thousands. And many who knew Jesus during his time on earth were still alive 25 years later when the First gospels appeared.
This is not a case like Robin Hood or King arthur where it was hundreds of years after the events would have taken place before anything was published.

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 4:43:30 PM PDT
jpl says:
If you believe Jesus is a historical person, why do you think he was deified.

People during those days were EXTREMELY supestitious.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 7:00:19 PM PDT
Richard says:
Celsus,

You said there were many wannabe messiahs. Do you think Jesus stood out because he lived around the time the Temple in Jerusalem was destroyed? Judaism as the Jews knew it would not be able to exist in its usual form. What do you think is the connection between Jesus and the destruction of the Jewish temple in this regard?

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 7:35:08 PM PDT
Christians believe that Jesus is God, not that he was "deified", whatever that is supposed to imply. Colloquially, in the states, it is claimed that fans seem to deify many celebrities, but no one really believes any of them are supernatural nor the first cause, I do not think.
So, I find it a biased if not totally absurd question, "How was Jesus deified?". How were any of us humanized?

The other questions I've read posed here are also a little off target in my opinion. I'll suggest, "How is Jesus so successful for over 2,000 years with maintaining a continual following?" "How did his followers seemingly manage to convince millions over 2,000 years that Jesus fulfilled the prophesies of the Old Testament?" And "how has belief in both his historical existence and divinity resulted in the world oldest dynasty, the papacy?"

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 7:51:34 PM PDT
Jesus the Son is not Father = God

see thread on this topic

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 8:19:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2012 8:21:54 PM PDT
Richard says:
Maureen Pascal,

I phrased the question like that for a reason in the original post. I know what Christians believe. I am not asking them the question.

Clayton

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 8:21:35 PM PDT
Agapao says:
Jesus chose 12 eyewitness reporters. They were better than most TV reporters in that they saw first hand the miracles and teaching of Jesus Christ. These eye witnesses did not report on hear-say but true eyewitness accounts on the person and works of Jesus Christ. John the closes reporter to Jesus said, "Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days? But he spake of the temple of his body. When therefore he was risen from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this unto them; and they believed the scripture, and the word which Jesus had said" (John 2:19-22). Who raised Jesus from the dead? According to eyewitnesses it is recorded in Acts 2:32, Acts 4:10, Acts 10:40, Acts 13:30 and many more...God raised Jesus from the dead, and therefore Jesus claimed to be God. Jesus deified Himself because He knew who He was even though many today don't know who He is.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 8:25:11 PM PDT
Richard says:
MDS,

At the beginning of the gospel of Luke, the author says he investigated everything to write an orderly account. Why then did he plagarize Mark and the Q document, if you believe there was a Q document? It does not seem he was a reporter at all.

Clayton

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 8:28:14 PM PDT
that is your speculation
you have no proof of your claims

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 8:28:43 PM PDT
Clayton,

I appreciate the clarification.

So who do you say that he is?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 8:31:04 PM PDT
Richard says:
andthehorseirodeinontoo,

Most of Mark in included in Luke. Is it not?

Clayton

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 8:31:56 PM PDT
Richard says:
Maureen Pascal,

I am Catholic, but I am undecided about the faith these days.

Clayton

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 8:33:37 PM PDT
proves nothing

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 8:34:05 PM PDT
good
the whore of babylon will lead you to eternal damnation and hellfire

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 8:36:29 PM PDT
Richard says:
andthehorseirodeinontoo,

Then I guess Jesus was wrong and Hell did prevail over the Church. So Jesus was mistaken when he told Peter this?

Clayton

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 8:38:20 PM PDT
the rcc is not the church that Christ founded

it is a heretical lying fake church that the devil co-opted

no true church would kill and torture
nor sell salvation
or make up lies

the rcc is the whore of babylon

and the gates of hell will not prevail over the TRUE CHURCH but the rcc which is the whore of babylon will burn with the devil who founded it

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 8:41:47 PM PDT
Richard says:
andthehorseirodeinontoo,

I am not so worried about Satan since he probably didn't become the "devil" until around the first century. If Catholicism is false, then all of Christiandom is false. All of the bible is false.

Clayton

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 8:45:11 PM PDT
the bible is true
The True Church exists and is True

RCC and moslems are two falses religions the devil uses to deceive people

all brand names have big faults and are to be avoided

join the one true Church composed of all true believers
and renounce the whore of babylon

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 8:47:32 PM PDT
Richard says:
andthehorseirodeinontoo,

Let me guess, only Matthew through Acts is sufficient for a bible. Right?

Clayton

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 8:56:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2012 8:57:40 PM PDT
that would be a good start
and should be more than sufficient

remember the first Christians only had the oral info from ONE disciple/apostle
and that was sufficient to save them if they believed in Christ

and delete all the popes propaganda people think is in the bible
since most people never read it

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 9:19:48 PM PDT
K. Cooper says:
Why was Jesus deified?
Living witnesses and lots of people who knew the Apostles as reasonable honest men. Their personal testimony is what started the Good News. And thousands who had known Jesus and heard him speak had to see that the REsurected JESUS described by the Apostles was consistent that the Jesus they had known in life.
It wasn't because a group of simple fishermen were great talkers.
We also know that 10 of the 11 surviving Apostles met very violent deaths so the witnesses were all willing to die for their beliefs.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
996 2 days ago
My Mob's pub and coffee shop, Part the Tenth 8707 2 minutes ago
Catholic-Protestant Discussion Part XXXIV 2005 10 minutes ago
Catholicism is based on Jesus Christ - Part 10 8004 10 minutes ago
Part 2- the Newer Thread 2160 16 minutes ago
Founder of Jehovah's Witnesses 1026 42 minutes ago
We are living in the Last Days! A Biblical Prophecy Discussion. 6147 1 hour ago
Warning about goblueresurrection 629 1 hour ago
The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints is Christian. 2631 1 hour ago
Is Graham Hancock right in thinking a relatively advanced civilisation left Sundaland to bring its greater knowledge to countries in the Middle East? 22 4 hours ago
Why Did Jesus Suffer and Die? 750 5 hours ago
Bishop Spong on the Messiah Concept and its Distortion 354 6 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  77
Initial post:  Jun 10, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions