Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM
Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

Anti-bullying speaker bullies some in crowd, curses Christian teens

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 526-550 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 9:48:52 AM PDT
A Customer says:
How come you have the time to respond with another little dig but you won't simply answer a question about which denomination you are a reverend in? Me btw, I'm a Catholic. No shame here.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 2:14:20 PM PDT
mrs exp says:
Etc,
I grew up when swearing and taking the Lord's name in vain were not so common. Men even tried not swear in the presence of women. It was a much pleasanter world then. I miss it.

And our teachers earned the respect of the students by being fair and honest not by coming down to the level of the student. And students didn't for the most part talk like that either.

Times have changed and not for the better.
exp

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 2:21:25 PM PDT
mrs exp says:
Joe Anthony,
There was a boy, about 8 years old, in our neighborhood who was different. He used to tell me he was a girl, and he played with dolls. My daughter played with him, but when the other kids would pick on him she was right there with them.

They picked on him because he was different. I doubt there was anything religious about it. And she chimed in because she didn't want to be thought different either. Not that that was right and we had several talks about it. It was hard but she did try to stay neutral when she couldn't get up the nerve to stick up for him. It's hard to be different from others and it's hard to stick up for one who is different when everyone else is picking on him or her. It needs education, not action in kind.
exp

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 2:35:18 PM PDT
Dean says:
Let's hear it for mrs exp, the only fair-minded fundamentalist I've ever seen.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 2:40:02 PM PDT
Desperately apologeticizing, aren't we?

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 2:45:48 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 4, 2012 7:06:39 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 2:51:24 PM PDT
Thanks for your stance in this episode.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 2:57:04 PM PDT
mrs exp says:
B Josephson,
Mat 19:4 And he answered and said, "Have you not read that He who created them from the beginning "made them male and female" (Gen 1:26-27) and said, "For this this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife," and "the two shall become one flesh" (Gen 2:24). Thus making God the narrator of Genesis.
exp

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 3:00:22 PM PDT
mrs exp says:
B Josephson,
I have never felt any love from you. You are critical of every fundamental belief.
exp

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 3:03:50 PM PDT
mrs exp says:
L Carr,
I'm not the only one, even on these threads, and certainly not the only Christian. We are not as vocal as the others. Maybe we should be.
exp

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 3:04:45 PM PDT
mrs exp says:
Sophie Amrain,
Just telling the truth.
exp

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 3:34:40 PM PDT
"You are critical of every fundamental belief."

When people like that say "fundamentalist", they mean "orthodoxy". You know, stuff like Jesus is who he says he is.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 3:45:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 4, 2012 3:54:01 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 3:49:16 PM PDT
Banner says:
The same one as me ;o

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 3:54:42 PM PDT
Eric Pyle says:
Banner,

Thank you. That clique sounds lovely.

Posted on May 4, 2012 5:09:55 PM PDT
Kilgore says:
i see there is a lot of one's beliefs and faith, yet not one ounce of science and nature... same story different topic...

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 6:11:40 PM PDT
Katydid says:
No...Just stating the facts.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 6:24:57 PM PDT
Bubba says:
why would new circumstances make that law obsolete and not the anti-gay law be obsolete?

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 6:28:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 4, 2012 6:42:27 PM PDT
B. Josephson says:
Fingers:
When people like that say "fundamentalist", they mean "orthodoxy". You know, stuff like Jesus is who he says he is

Response: Not me Fingers, a fundamentalist is someone who thinks the Bible is infallible or inerrant.

Please refrain from lying aobut what I mean.

Extreme fundamentalists will say the earth was created in six days.

Some of these extreme fudnamentalists get angry when you point out how little they know about evolution.

Best Wishes,
Shaamba Kaambwaat

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 6:33:18 PM PDT
A Customer says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 6:41:08 PM PDT
B. Josephson says:
Me: "Where did you get this idea Fingers?"

Finges: By looking at your profile.

Response: My profile does NOt say what religon I am.

More examples of faulty reasoning.

I have written about the LDS, that does not mean I am LDS.

I have also written about sorcery in central Africa, where I did research.

That does not make me a sorcerer.

Duh

Me: "I see you want to pick which abominations to follow and which to not, and you get to decide which are moral and which are not."

Response: Ever hear of the "poisoning the well" fallacy? What makes you think I follow ANY "abominations"? I don't converse with leftist trolls who try to stack the deck first cracker out of the box.

Response: Then you don't eat pork? That is one of the abominations of Leviticus.

I have a hard time conversing wth you because in every post you reveal your ignorance of the Bible.

Here is some help for you:

In researching where in the bible it says that homosexuality is a sin, I did some reading of the book of Leviticus. I did indeed find the two verses that fundamentalists point to that seem to relate to homosexuality. These verses are taken literally by fundamentalists in that they believe homosexuality is a sin. I was interested to find several other verses that are not, thankfully, taken literally. My question is this: why do fundamentalists believe it is ok to pick and choose which verses to interpret literally and which to just throw out the door?

The two verses in Leviticus that seem to relate to homosexuality are as follows: "You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination," (Leviticus 18:22) and "If a man lie with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them." (Leviticus 20:13). Both of the above quotes are taken literally by fundamentalists.

The following verses are not, thankfully taken literally:

1) "For everyone who curses his father or his mother shall surely be put to death. He has cursed his father or his mother. His blood shall be upon him."
(Leviticus 20:9) Does this mean we should actually kill every child who has disrespected their parent? Both of my kids would be firmly in hell by now if that verse were interpreted literally. Notice how close this verse is to the second homophobic verse quoted above - only 3 verses prior to this verse that fundamentalists obviously do not take literally.

2) "Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property." (Leviticus 25:44-45) So, I guess this means it's ok to own slaves?

3) "If a man lies with a woman during her sickness and uncovers her nakedness, he has discovered her flow, and she has uncovered the flow of her blood. Both of them shall be cut off from her people." (Leviticus 20:18)Guess hubby and I will be deported from the state of Maryland.

4) "Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard." (Leviticus 19:27) Gotta go throw away all the razors!

5) "...and the swine, though it divides the hoof, having cloven hooves, yet does not chew the cud, is unclean to you." (Leviticus 11:7) I've been eating unclean pork meat for most of my life. I'm not going to heaven I guess.

6) "...do not plant your field with two kinds of seed. Do not wear material woven of two kinds of material." (Leviticus 19:19) Those farmers who plant more than one kind of seed are sinning (even though it's far more ecologically prudent to plant something other than a monocrop!) In addition, I guess I better go get rid of any clothes that might have a mix of materials in them for fear of doing something sinful.
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/christianity/342784-selective-literal-interpretation-book-leviticus-hell.html#ixzz1txHZESTQ

Yep I quoted the part about clothes that you don't like, because you DO pick and chose what to follow.

Best Wishes,
Shaamba Kaambwaat

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 6:41:32 PM PDT
Eric Pyle says:
<<The bible was created in six days?>>

Yes, but a day doesn't really mean a *day*, you understand.

It means an *age* or a thousand years, or something...

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 6:42:00 PM PDT
B. Josephson says:
Guess not, I'll fix that Macheath.

Best Wishes,
Shaamba Kaambwaat

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 6:43:58 PM PDT
B. Josephson says:
Extreme fundamentalists do not agree with you Eric.

Best Wishes,
Shaamba Kaambwaat

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 6:57:58 PM PDT
Bubba says:
Leviticus is FULL of Pic-a-Mix verses that are selectively used by fundamentalists to discriminate against and damn other people.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1042 27 days ago
Transgender Individuals 1415 1 minute ago
Dispensations and the Gospels: 6423 1 minute ago
What do "born agains" actually believe about Jesus? I am confused. Want to discuss. 4223 2 minutes ago
Harvard University test results show that homosexuality is indeed caused by parental neglect --that is from Harvard mind you! 2605 2 minutes ago
Six reasons Christianity is a false faith, based on a false god 9432 8 minutes ago
Catholic-Protestant Discussion Part XXXV 1964 14 minutes ago
Are United Methodists against all alcohol usage, or do they allow it in moderation ? 24 16 minutes ago
My Mob's pub and coffee shop. Part the Eleventh 3430 19 minutes ago
Catholicism is based on Jesus Christ - Part 10 9648 26 minutes ago
Christian Friends with Books (Part One) 241 36 minutes ago
Part 2- the Newer Thread 7304 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  51
Total posts:  1149
Initial post:  Apr 28, 2012
Latest post:  May 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions