Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

Why Do Christians Bring up The Same Tired Arguments Refuted Long Ago?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 7401-7425 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 8:46:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2012 8:48:41 AM PDT
NeoPaganBaby says:
Corrected, sorry. Actually Celsus' words, though I agree.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 9:15:13 AM PDT
Sarah says:
Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 9:55:47 AM PDT
>What a surprised look you and others will have on judgement day.

Like this cat, maybe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_S5cXbXe-4

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 4:33:19 PM PDT
B. A. Daley says:
J. Green says: "Does a Muslim who does only good things during his life of free will ,go to heaven? Why?"

BAD: I *believe* many good people will go to heaven, regardless of their beliefs. I *believe* you can get there through deeds. However, you can also get there through the grace of God, which allows you to have remorse, and try to do better.

I prefer to think of myself as flawed and striving to do better. If I were to depend on deeds, I would never go.

However, I take it to a different level: I try to live like Christ. If there is no God and no heaven, I have lived my life as well as I can imagine. I leave a legacy of love in my wake.

Not too bad.

I die and there is a heaven... I plead my case.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 4:36:08 PM PDT
B. A. Daley says:
Spinoza says: "an apatheist is someone who considers the question of the existence of gods as neither meaningful nor relevant to his or her life."

BAD: Someone who would label themselves as such would NEVER venture onto a forum like this.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 4:37:31 PM PDT
B. A. Daley says:
J. Green says: "I have not been given proof that a god exists. I have not been given free will."

BAD: Who forced you to write that?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 4:49:14 PM PDT
J. Green says:
B. A. Daley says:
J. Green says: "Does a Muslim who does only good things during his life of free will ,go to heaven? Why?"

BAD: I *believe* many good people will go to heaven, regardless of their beliefs. I *believe* you can get there through deeds. However, you can also get there through the grace of God, which allows you to have remorse, and try to do better.

I prefer to think of myself as flawed and striving to do better. If I were to depend on deeds, I would never go.

However, I take it to a different level: I try to live like Christ. If there is no God and no heaven, I have lived my life as well as I can imagine. I leave a legacy of love in my wake.

Not too bad.

I die and there is a heaven... I plead my case.
-----------------------------------
I actually like some of this answer.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 4:49:56 PM PDT
B. A. Daley says:
brunumb says: "You'd think the word of God, intended for the entire human population, would be written in such a way that it was clear to all with nothing else required but to simply read it."

BAD: Beyond that, why would you make Christ born not of noble blood, but in a manger? Why would you have him hang out with the impoverished and prostitutes? Why would you have him born in a time before the internet? What would be the likelihood that any of this would be recorded, let alone saved? Why make those responsible for conveying the message punishable by death just for insisting on it's truth?

If you ever wanted to pull off a conspiracy, you would definitely pick different parameters.

You are right. It just doesn't add up.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 4:51:09 PM PDT
J. Green says:
B. A. Daley says:
J. Green says: "I have not been given proof that a god exists. I have not been given free will."

BAD: Who forced you to write that?
---------------------------------------------
Christian free will is about CHOOSING jesus or rejecting jesus.
I have free will in all other things because "I think therefore I am"

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 4:51:32 PM PDT
MK Hill says:
Lao Tzu: In answer to your original question - Why do atheists get so spun up about it? Do they feel they are missing out on some aspect of life that is being withheld from them? Live and let live. I doubt anyone is beating you up over any of this unless you bring it upon yourself. I mean in real life as well as on this forum. Again, live and let live.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 4:52:57 PM PDT
J. Green says:
BAD: Someone who would label themselves as such would NEVER venture onto a forum like this.
----------------------------------------------
You christians always think you know other people's thought process.
It is a process you don't seem to have.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 5:19:44 PM PDT
MK Hill says:
Define anyone's thought process.....

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 5:25:48 PM PDT
Roeselare says:
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is impotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Whence then is evil?

The problem with your logic is that you assume that humans can identify good and evil. Evidently they can't. Where do you place the line between them?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 8:50:15 PM PDT
J. Green says:
Posted on Jun 20, 2012 4:51:32 PM PDT
MK Hill says:
Lao Tzu: In answer to your original question - Why do atheists get so spun up about it?
-----------------------------------
Well here it is the 21st century,
Some christians admit their evil history but think those days are in the past,
Meanwhile christians in Africa are burning young girls alive because they bare "witches"
Christians in America are picking out homosexuals as sinners woryhly of persecution.
One generation ago christians murdered 6 million jews
......all because what the bible says.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 9:55:13 PM PDT
says:
No surprise. We all have spirits. The body dies. The spirit lives forever. You will lose yours in Hell. i hope you like your stay. If you don't repent, and follow God.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 9:57:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 20, 2012 9:57:58 PM PDT
says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 10:00:26 PM PDT
says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 10:09:14 PM PDT
Celsus says:
Elvis Fan

>>It really happened. I believe millions believe it.<<

You and millions more can believe a man lived inside a foot-long whalefish, or any other idiocy you like, but those of us with brains know better.

> And don't post again with your ignorance.<<

I never post from ignorance. All my stuff is backed with evidence, unlike yours.

>>You are just wasting space in this WORLD.<<

Ahhhh.....I can feel the Christian love beginning to flow....

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 5:18:34 AM PDT
J. Green says:
elvis..... If YOU died in your sins you will be cast into eternity of hellfire WHERE THERE WILL BE GNASHING OF TEETH!-----------------------------------
And brimstone.....do you know what that is yet?

What sins do you think I have done that would send me to hell forever?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 5:41:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 21, 2012 5:43:19 AM PDT
Bubba says:
MK Hill says: "Live and let live. I doubt anyone is beating you up over any of this unless you bring it upon yourself."

It would be very nice if Christians would "live and let live". Gays ARE being literally, figuratively, and legally beat up because Christians believe that being gay is a "sin". Doctors and others ARE being killed and grievously injured by Christians because they perform abortions, get abortions, or happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 7:46:01 AM PDT
SIN does not send anyone to hell it's a religious concept created for use in religious scare tactics

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 8:59:22 PM PDT
Lao Tzu says:
MK Hill says: Lao Tzu, In answer to your original question - Why do atheists get so spun up about it? Do they feel they are missing out on some aspect of life that is being withheld from them? Live and let live. I doubt anyone is beating you up over any of this unless you bring it upon yourself. I mean in real life as well as on this forum. Again, live and let live.

Lao says: Hi MK - what I guess fascinates me, or draws me, is the degree to which an emotional argument can be refuted (such as Christianity) and the Christian just keeps going on as if nothing has happened - they change the topic, refuse to address the point. If these Christians can do it, it makes me nervous for myself, in this sense - what emotional fixations do I have that prevent me from making rational choices, or holding rational beliefs, with regard to ANY aspect of my life?!? Am I more elite in my thinking, or I am just that chimp with the overgrown neo-cortex, but I apply my irrationality in less obvious places?

As an atheist, it is like being transported to the bizzaro world when you see so many people devote their time to something that isn't there. If you are a Christian MK, and want to know how this feels, imagine you wake up tomorrow and EVERYONE is into astrology. They teach it in school, there are courses on it, elected officials are all astrologers, etc. Much of the time it is harmless, but sometimes events are cancelled because the signs were not "auspicious" or a Taurus does not get hired because the manager knows they will be "stubborn", and the fact that you don't believe it makes you an outcast, or questionable at best. You try to point out that the position of the stars has no relationship to the personality of people, and they look at you like you have two heads.

This is why I don't want to live and let live. A reality orientation is necessary for our continued development. It is also interesting to note that Atheists are a majority on these forums, it gives me hope.

Also, don't assume that every atheist is automatically a leftist, we are all over the map.

Imagine that we could have a rational discussion about abortion, if religion were not in the picture. There is some best compromise between just prior to conception, and 1 minute before a baby is birthed. We cannot discuss where this best compromise should be in a religious context.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 9:02:12 PM PDT
Lao Tzu says:
werranth413 says:
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is impotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Whence then is evil?
The problem with your logic is that you assume that humans can identify good and evil. Evidently they can't. Where do you place the line between them?

Lao says: I have to agree that we are not always perfect in our judgment of good and evil. Calling graven images evil, for example.

However, I have a definition of evil - initiating the use of force, whether direct or indirect. That goes a long way towards defining evil in a secular manner.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 12:54:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 22, 2012 12:56:14 AM PDT
john lachman says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 5:34:20 AM PDT
J. Green says:
john....... but wanted to grow up to be like God,
-----------------------------------------
Well god murdered the first born of Egypt.
So are we like god now?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  339
Total posts:  9737
Initial post:  Dec 1, 2011
Latest post:  Sep 30, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions