Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

Anti-bullying speaker bullies some in crowd, curses Christian teens

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1101-1125 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 9:13:02 PM PDT
Dean says:
Another Christian contradiction in terms. You say all power lies with God, then make Satan sound like he has all the power. If Satan has any power, it's because God lets him, which makes God his ally, which means they are both evil.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 9:14:10 PM PDT
Dean says:
Ah yes, we praise him while he flogs us. THANK YOU SIR, MAY I HAVE ANOTHER? What a perverse vision.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 9:26:34 PM PDT
Iatric says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 9:28:28 PM PDT
Iatric says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 7:29:16 AM PDT
A customer says:
"No, never said Satan has all the power. However, he is loose for now, but will have his day as well. It's coming."

Even so, within Christian theology this is still problematic. Satan is loose and causing harm, but only at the discretion of Yahweh. Yahweh could stop him, but doesn't, thus making Yahweh responsible. I know you wont agree, because we're talking about your god, but in any normal situation the conclusion is undeniable.

If I were to put a rabid dog loose in a room with my children, my actions would be considered vile, deplorable and criminal. When your god does it, you call it "righteous" and "just." It isn't hard to see the disconnect.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 7:42:57 AM PDT
A customer says:
"Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that is the point he was making. That "sexual reckless abandon" can effect society. If people were more monogomous and responsible with their relationships (whatever they may be) the spead of disease wouldn't be as far as it is."

First, I, nor I think anyone else, is advocating irresponsible sex. If you have sex, practicing safer sex is undeniably the way to go. Second, I am not even advocating "sexual reckless abandon," only that a person's sex life is their business and what consenting adults do in bed is none of ours. Lastly, the effects of STIs and unsafe sex is an issue that concerns both hetero- and homosexuals a like.

"Why don't people agree that monogomous relationships would be beneficial vs. "sexual reckless abandon"?"

I don't necessarily disagree. The problem is that some would have us believe that it is an either/or of extremes. Either Christian approved no sex before marriage monogamy, or "sexual reckless abandon." There is a whole lot of middle ground between the two.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 7:49:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 11, 2012 8:01:18 AM PDT
A customer says:
Alex: "This no doubt helps sustain your faith, believing that secretly knows your god exists. Must be comforting... Is your faith so weak, you must convince yourself that everyone secretly agrees with you, they just wont admit it."

Iatric: "You certainly have to try real hard to come up with that."

Alex: I feel a little bad for you, now that I see part of your condescending pomposity is due to a malnourished faith. Even as an atheist, my faith in God when I was a Christian was stronger than what you display here; I had faith, and I could believe without convincing myself that others secretly "knew" my god existed. Nor did I have to convince myself that my faith was knowledge, when it was only faith. And while I was aware of the verse, "...every knee shall bow," I never felt the need to vindicate myself by repeating it to non-believers.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 7:54:44 AM PDT
A customer says:
"You can love someone and still believe a sin is a sin. We are to do both, not one or the other, and they are not mutually exclusive."

I agree completely. But how gays are often treated by religious fundamentalists in this country is anything but love. Marginalizing your fellow Americans as second class citizens isn't love. Preaching that they are abominations, deviants and unnatural isn't love. Comparing their legitimate, human feelings of love and desire to beastiality, incest and necrophelia isn't love.

Disagreeing with them but allowing them the freedom to live their lives in peace as equal citizens, that's love.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 7:59:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 11, 2012 8:22:17 AM PDT
A customer says:
"You have to believe that the universe, everything that exists including things as complex and beautifully designed as dna is here by random chance and selection. That takes more faith than I have."

You have to believe that the universe, everything that exists, hundreds of billions of galaxies, each with hundreds of billions of stars, countless worlds, including this one that we call Earth, home to billions of species that have lived and died for hundreds of millions of years, all was created with us specifically in mind. That takes more arrogance than I have.

You have to believe that your salvation was earned by a god impregnating a young woman, giving birth to a demigod, who was then offered up as a human/god blood sacrifice to expiate your sins. That the Creator of our vast universe couldn't come up with a better plan than ritual sacrifice for attonement. This takes more superstition than I have.

And either way, a natural view of the universe requires no faith, only evidence and the humility and honesty to say, "I don't know," when we don't know something, rather than evoking a super natural explanation that *does* require faith.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 8:19:29 AM PDT
Iatric says:

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 8:20:37 AM PDT
Iatric says:

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 8:25:39 AM PDT
A customer says:
"... and as usual, you'd be wrong once again."

So you say. Yet you don't address anything I actually said concerning your obvious disconnect concerning standards of ethical behaviour, you only repeat your claim.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 9:36:49 AM PDT
Iatric says:

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 9:38:39 AM PDT
Iatric says:

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 9:39:42 AM PDT
Iatric says:

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 9:53:55 AM PDT
Dean says:
If he's loose it's because God let him loose, therefore God must want him causing harm and misery to everybody he can.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 10:08:47 AM PDT
Iatric says:

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 11:16:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 11, 2012 11:19:36 AM PDT
A customer says:
"The "I don't know" is where the faith has to kick in since not knowing provides no answers of any kind whatsoever."

"I don't know" is the first step. It creates the opportunity for knowledge. "Why is this like this? How does that work?" "I don't know--lets find out." "I don't know" is the birthing ground of curiosity, questions, hypotheses and discovery. Looking at the universe and grasping the limits ouf our knowledge is how we expand that knowledge.

On the other hand, saying "I don't know," therefore God did it, isn't an answer. Its a place holder, an argument from ignorance. And if one ardently clings to that faith, it prevents one from discovering the real answers.

For example, how much has the faith based belief in creation taught us about the natural world around us? How much experimental data have we gathered? What new insights has faith in creation given us in biology or cosmology, geology or atomic theory? How has faith in creation expanded our knowlege of the universe?

I do not presume that science as all the answers for the human experience, and that there is no place for religion in one's life. Science isn't going to tell you if there is a "why" or a reason to your existance, nor is it going to tell you how to feel about it. Science can inform us about our human nature, but it can't prescribe a path to go from there. There is a place for faith, for religion and philosophy.

But faith doesn't have all the answers either, and it is useless to apply it to reality if one's desire is to discover what is real.

So when it comes to the subject of, for example, abiogenesis, I'll continue to say "I don't know" until we do know. Its okay not to know. I would rather try to discover the real answer, than filling my ignorance with faith in something that feels good.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 12:11:50 PM PDT
Iatric says:

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 1:22:52 PM PDT
Kilgore says:
yet, you don't know what it is to be a homosexual but act like you know all the answers.
Your reply to Kilgore's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 1:45:03 PM PDT
Iatric says:

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 2:04:26 PM PDT
Kilgore says:
believe? reality isn't a belief based on faith. actual life testimonies sort of puts a damper on your belief system.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 2:41:01 PM PDT
Iatric says:

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 5:24:57 PM PDT
Katydid says:
"First, I, nor I think anyone else, is advocating irresponsible sex. If you have sex, practicing safer sex is undeniably the way to go. Second, I am not even advocating "sexual reckless abandon," only that a person's sex life is their business and what consenting adults do in bed is none of ours. Lastly, the effects of STIs and unsafe sex is an issue that concerns both hetero- and homosexuals a like."

We agree on this.

"I don't necessarily disagree. The problem is that some would have us believe that it is an either/or of extremes. Either Christian approved no sex before marriage monogamy, or "sexual reckless abandon." There is a whole lot of middle ground between the two. "

What consenting adults do in bed and who they do it with is none of my business and I have no desire to know. I have had my own experiences that as a result have shaped my views and beliefs but I would never express them uninvited or expect others to agree. We each have our own choices in life to make, the best we know how, and live with them without harassment. I was not approaching this in a hetero vs homosexual manner. It was a commited vs open or free sexual relationship. In general though, I think we agree. :)

Posted on May 12, 2012 1:29:14 PM PDT
Gr8fl2bHis says:
It is His Word, not mine. And all of us will stand before Him and be judged by His Word. I am not the One who has deemed all these things to be abomination. This shows how serious the issue is to Him.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  51
Total posts:  1149
Initial post:  Apr 28, 2012
Latest post:  May 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions