Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM
Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

How many Christians truly try to emulate Jesus Christ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 230 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 5:41:29 PM PDT
Tammy says:
Carry our own burdens without blaming others for them.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 5:43:07 PM PDT
Tammy says:
Love those who hate us.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 5:43:27 PM PDT
Tammy says:
Pray.

A lot.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 5:43:52 PM PDT
Tammy says:
Know when to stop (which is why I am stopping now).

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 5:52:49 PM PDT
DocMMV says:
Challenge authority (when it is wrong)
Train people to do exactly as He does
Teach people to manifest the Kingdom of God in their daily lives
Free captives

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 6:11:23 PM PDT
Hahaha!

Good list, Tammy.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 7:10:38 PM PDT
Tammy says:
Why, thank you sir! Doc's got a pretty good list going there, too.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 8:29:06 PM PDT
All the King's Men's post:
Well the Lutheran church has a list on who is Christian and who isn't. If you are unaffliliated then you aren't a Christian either.

This doesn't seem so simple to me, nor humble.
========================================
I believe anyone who believes Christ, is a Christian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpFhS0dAduc

Yours in Christ, Brother Niv

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 1:41:24 AM PDT
"And the Muslims believe the Koran is the word of God, too."

So Christians can believe the Bible is the word of God but Muslins can't believe the Koran is the word of God?! Why not? Before the Bible, the Torah was the word of God. It's a progression. When one "word of God" gets corrupted, He send another one.

Posted on May 22, 2012 1:51:39 AM PDT
"Has anybody on this thread tried to make a list of what a person would do if he wanted to emulate Jesus? That might be interesting. I'm thinking: Heal people. Feed people. Forgive people. What else?"

The only way to truly emulate Jesus is by doing our best to know God, love God, have faith in God and serve God.
Matthew 6:33 "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you."

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 2:22:20 AM PDT
Eric Pyle says:
S.,

<<The only way to truly emulate Jesus is by doing our best to know God, love God, have faith in God and serve God.>>

G.K. Chesterton points out that when Christ called "Eli Eli lama sabachthani?" he was temporarily an atheist.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 2:39:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 22, 2012 2:49:19 AM PDT
"So Christians can believe the Bible is the word of God but Muslins can't believe the Koran is the word of God?! Why not?"

Because the Bible, the Koran, and the Book of Mormon all teach different things. They can't all be right.

"Before the Bible, the Torah was the word of God."

News flash: Jesus was not a Christian, he was a Jew. When Jesus speaks of "the Scriptures", he is talking about the OT because the NT had not been written. It may surprise most of you who have not read either to learn that the NT is pretty much the same thing as the OT without the wars. Jesus is just reiterating what the OT says with more clarity, this time to non-Jews, and he sends his disciples to teach the non-Jews.

The Koran is neither. Neither is the Book of Mormon, nor the Book of Miracles.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 4:05:55 AM PDT
By your reasoning, the Bible can't be right either because it contradicts the Torah which preceded it.

The NT does not reiterate the OT. Actually, most of Paul's writings directly contradicts Jesus' teachings.

You're right. The Koran is neither the OT or the NT. What it does is agrees with the OT and Jesus' teachings in the NT as well as clarifies what was corrupted in the NT.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 4:12:32 AM PDT
So what. I was answering the OP's question. What does your post have to do with that?

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 4:22:28 AM PDT
Tammy says:
I don't understand this. Why would an atheist address a G-d they do not believe exists?

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 4:30:45 AM PDT
Tammy says:
I think it has a lot to do with the OP. Have you never doubted? I have.

Y'shua taught us how to deal with every human thought, action and impulse. It can be done. I can't do it (yet), but it can be done.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 4:38:25 AM PDT
Eric Pyle says:
Tammy,

I agree with you that it's paradoxical. You don't complain to someone you don't believe in.

<<Y'shua taught us how to deal with every human thought, action and impulse.>>

This is why I like what Chesterton said despite its paradoxical nature. The whole point of the incarnation is that God became vulnerable. To pain, to death, and I would think most importantly for Christians, to doubt.

Surely living in imitation of Christ means that we also live through those things.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 5:03:29 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 6, 2015 7:59:32 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 5:03:51 AM PDT
Tammy says:
For me, one of the most fascinating things about Y'shua is that He did not get angry with G-d.

I mean, I have shaken my fist at the sky and screamed at G-d before (I'm not recommending this) but only because I was so sure of His existence that I was furious at Him for not intervening.

During the times I have doubted, I just kind of curl into a ball and wonder to myself "What if..."

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 5:43:36 AM PDT
A Customer says:
Lily, he's Catholic

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 9:46:10 AM PDT
DocMMV says:
BS

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 9:47:36 AM PDT
DocMMV says:
Exactly

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 11:41:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 22, 2012 11:41:57 AM PDT
Mickey says:
"Actually Mickey, you do not understand the 'No True Scottsman' (sic) fallacy. It is displayed when people attempt to claim that 'No True' *whatever* would act in some dispicable (sic) way as someone in their group has just done."

Nope.

" 'NO TRUE SCOTSMAN' is an informal logical fallacy, an ad hoc attempt to retain an unreasoned assertion. When faced with a counterexample to a universal claim, rather than denying the counterexample or rejecting the original universal claim, this fallacy modifies the subject of the assertion to exclude the specific case or others like it by rhetoric, without reference to any specific rule."
Wikipedia

F: "All Christians agree"

Mickey: "Do fundamentalists and universalists agree on eternal damnation?"
"Do Evangelicals and Mormons agree on Joseph Smith?"

F: " . . .I am not entirely convinced that universalists and Mormons are in fact Christians."

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 12:08:09 PM PDT
A Customer says:
I often wonder why I bother trying to reason with ignorance here. Please wallow in it. I won't stop you.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 12:08:47 PM PDT
Mickey says:
How am I ignorant?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
1197 12 days ago
Thread for the broken hearted: those who love with all their hearts a god they no longer believe in. 25 1 minute ago
Eternal life is obtained through faith in the atonement Jesus made. 5025 2 minutes ago
Mary was not sinless. 6835 4 minutes ago
Tim Kaine, a Catholic who believes in good works is VP pick on the Hillary Democratic ticket! 504 6 minutes ago
Jesus never "died for our sins" 3405 7 minutes ago
Catholic-Protestant Discussion Part XXXV 8955 11 minutes ago
If a man dies will he live again? Or, is physical death the end? 929 16 minutes ago
The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints is Christian. 7635 16 minutes ago
Jesus of History vs. Christ of Faith 544 16 minutes ago
Transgender Individuals 7396 21 minutes ago
Part 3- the somewhat newer thread 364 28 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  38
Total posts:  230
Initial post:  May 18, 2012
Latest post:  May 31, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions