Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

How many Christians truly try to emulate Jesus Christ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 230 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 10:17:22 AM PDT
Mickey says:
No, I'm suggesting you be fair and give them a chance to respond. What makes you think I don't understand what the issues are?

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 10:40:25 AM PDT
Tammy says:
I thought that this was exactly the place for uneducated (never been to seminary) laymen (or women, such as me) to discuss religion.

I am completely clueless on a lot of religious issues (I just gave a really good example a few posts back regarding Universalists) and that's why I like these threads. I learn a lot here.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 10:41:19 AM PDT
Tammy says:
Thanks, Bubba!

Posted on May 23, 2012 10:49:34 AM PDT
Not many... Most are simly trying to emulate there Pastors or church leaders and spend little to know time studing and having a intimite relationship with Jesus Christ.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 2:11:07 PM PDT
Eric Pyle says:
G.K. Chesterton was not an atheist troll.

He was a conservative Christian and a brilliant man. He converted to Catholicism. His book "Orthodoxy" is a well-known work of Christian apologetics.

To quote him on this forum is in no way an attempt to make the forum "ugly."

That comes from personal insults.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 5:14:22 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 6:58:26 PM PDT
Tammy says:
Really? I am?

Good to know.

Posted on May 23, 2012 7:10:04 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 26, 2012 12:09:33 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 7:17:58 PM PDT
Tammy says:
This was beautiful and I, for one, needed the reminder. Thank you so much.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 7:36:39 PM PDT
Mickey's post:
I'm considering starting a thread telling Mormons and universalists some don't consider them to be Christian and asking them to respond.
=============================
Go for it....

I'll start off..... LDS (Mormons) are Christian through and through.

We even have another book of Scripture which ALSO testifies of Jesus Christ.

Yours in Christ, Brother Niv

JesusChrist.lds.org

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 7:45:45 PM PDT
Tammy's post:
I thought that this was exactly the place for uneducated (never been to seminary) laymen (or women, such as me) to discuss religion.
======================================
Seminary? All LDS youth, woman included, put in 4 years of seminary!

Our definition of Seminary is a bit different then what I suspect you think it is. ;-)

seminary.lds.org

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 1:30:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 24, 2012 1:34:35 AM PDT
I'm serious, you don't need to look too deep to see most of these people's political agenda. I would love to pump you up with sunshine and flowery prose but that's just the way I see it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 1:33:14 AM PDT
"Our definition of Seminary is a bit different then what I suspect you think it is."

Oh, I am sure of that.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 8:19:40 PM PDT
Fingers's post:
Oh, I am sure of that.
===================================
FYI, From 9th to 12th grade, LDS youth get up 5:00am every school day morning to attend at 6:00am a 1 hr seminary (religion) class, all before attending public school at 7:30am.

The four year course of studies , has a year each in Old Testament, New Testament, Book of Mormon and LDS Church History (D&C).

seminary.lds.org

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 2:34:20 AM PDT
I have heard all of this before. The Jehovah's Witnesses have their own indoctrination machine too. Neither of you could gain accreditation from any legitimate religious or secular body.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 7:33:25 AM PDT
Kevin Bold says:
Those poor, unfortunate children...

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 10:09:38 AM PDT
Mickey says:
"Those poor, unfortunate children..."

You say that as a Catholic?

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 10:51:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2012 10:52:44 AM PDT
Charles says:
Are you asking of who we believe are really christians or perhaps what the bible says are teachings that the character Jesus was to have said and then should we include what others in the bible say Jesus said ?

Many that claim to be of the Christian religion are not infact Christian but are of a religion seperate from Chrisitan teachings. New order evangelical, for instance, follow what their leaders say which is not the teachings put forth in the bible about the character Jesus. Baptist are not following what is said of Jesus. Mormon, Jahovah Witness, any of the trinity followers.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 4:37:18 PM PDT
inkling says:
Well, there you have it then, charles. You've figured out for us just who is and is not truly Christian...

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 8:56:54 PM PDT
They are the greatest youth in America!

Does any other religion instill such faith in their ranks that their youth would willing get up well ahead of their peers and attend a religion class?

youth.lds.org

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 9:26:55 PM PDT
Eric Pyle says:
Oh, come off it. This one is just too easy.

The Chinese in the Cultural Revolution got up earlier and showed more enthusiasm than the Mormons do. Did that make them better?

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 10:09:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2012 10:28:16 PM PDT
How do the Chinese poll compared to LDS and LDS youth re faith in God (or religiosity in general)?

"Mormon young people showed the highest degree of religious vitality and salience."

"Mormon Envy: In Search of a Consequential Faith
Perhaps this explains my reaction, and maybe yours, to the study's consistent portrayal of Mormon young people as "topping the charts" in terms of spiritual vitality, depth of religious understanding, salience of faith in their daily lives, hope for the future, and general wellbeing as adolescents. [36] The religiously devoted young people in the study-including the 8% who not only believe in God, but who attend religious services weekly or more often, and who participate in religious youth groups, and who pray and read the Bible regularly, and who say faith is extremely important in their lives-were disproportionately Mormon"

"For Mormons, seminary takes place for an hour before school, every single day throughout high school, in someone's home. The host parents serve as catechists (for four years), driving the kids to school after the lesson. Students typically arrive at school together, as if to reinforce their identity as Mormons before the school day begins, and to remind one another that they are not alone in their faith; they have each another to hold them accountable to the church. Conservative Protestants rely heavily on religious practices as means of catechesis; after Mormons (who scored strongest or next strongest in almost every category of religious practice),"
by Dr. Kenda Creasy Dean, assistant professor at the Princeton Theological Seminary, Princeton, NJ, and an ordained United Methodist minister.
END QUOTE

whole article: http://mormonteenagers.blogspot.com/

LDS parts of article: http://mormonteenagersreligiousity.blogspot.com/

youth.lds.org

Posted on May 26, 2012 8:05:55 AM PDT
inkling says:
Another highest degree in the LDS community is this: (there are many sources/links, here is one of them)

Utah has one of the highest suicide rates in nation

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53530394-78/suicide-utah-percent-health.html.csp

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 9:55:08 PM PDT
LDSaint says:
One of the problems here is altitude. The suicide rate increases with higher altitude:

Researchers examined cause-of-death data from all 2,584 U.S. counties between 1979 and 1998 and found that, as a group, people living at higher elevations had a statistically significant higher rate of suicide.

The positive correlation between elevation and suicide risk was present even when the authors controlled for known suicide risk factors, such as older age, male sex, white race, and low income.

From: http://psychcentral.com/news/2011/01/14/link-between-suicide-living-at-high-altitude/22650.html

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 11:32:06 AM PDT
Utah comes in third highest for mean elevation. Yet is 8th for suicide rates. So, as I see it, the LDS influence reduces the rate, otherwise Utah would be 3rd place corresponding to their altitude rating. And if being LDS had any negative effect, Utah would have to place 1st or 2nd place for suicides.

http://www.factmonster.com/ipka/A0001792.html

[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  38
Total posts:  230
Initial post:  May 18, 2012
Latest post:  May 31, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions