Customer Discussions > Christianity forum

Parts of Parts.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 3, 2012 4:45:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2012 4:56:25 AM PDT
People,

You may think of the word parts and similar and then look at part of the bible below and not be completely ignorant of how the bible and the world may be understood partly.

1 Corinthians 12:

14 Even so the body is not made up of one part but of many.
15 Now if the foot should say, "Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body," it would not for that reason stop being part of the body.
16 And if the ear should say, "Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body," it would not for that reason stop being part of the body.
17 If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be?
18 But in fact God has placed the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be.
19 If they were all one part, where would the body be?

And it is shown that Paul said "to the assembly of God which is in Corinth" in 1 Corinthians 1:2.

And later to them in a different translation of the bible he said "Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it." in 1 Corinthians 12:27.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 9:58:52 AM PDT
???????????????

uh huh

??????????????

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 10:08:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2012 10:09:15 AM PDT
andthehorseirodeinontoo?,

--???????????????

uh huh

??????????????--

Why did you put that amount of question marks ?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 10:29:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2012 2:11:08 PM PDT
M. Simonson says:
Those passages as all passages have to be taken in context, and the context of scripture is all of scripture.
At times they have been taken by culitic Christians and those with some very unbiblical doctrine to say "see we are Christians too". By the time one gets to the guys who say that Christ was one of the many world teachers reincarnated through the ages to enlighten mankind we are no longer dealing with any part of the body whatsoever (it just violates too many other passages).

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 2:51:35 PM PDT
to show i had not idea what you were blathering about

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2012 12:46:08 AM PDT

--to show i had not idea what you were blathering about--

Can you prove by all my words that all my words were complete nonsense ? No.

Maybe you'll agree one question mark is enough to show a question in the standards of English language.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2012 8:07:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 4, 2012 12:30:54 PM PDT
Jeff Marzano says:
M. Simonson says:

[By the time one gets to the guys who say that Christ was one of the many world teachers reincarnated through the ages to enlighten mankind we are no longer dealing with any part of the body whatsoever (it just violates too many other passages).]

Do you believe Christ may have been reincarnated in our world more than once ?

You have mentioned Saint Augustine at times. This is something Augustine may have believed although I don't know if Augie did believe this about Christ. But my understanding is Augustine believed in reincarnation since he was influenced by Plato's writings.

The following book talks about other incarnations of Christ:

Lives of the Master: The Rest of the Jesus Story

According to this book these include:

Adam
an Atlantean priest
Melchizedek
Joseph who was sold as a slave by his greedy brothers
the violent and treacherous Joshua

The Egyptian god Thoth, the architect of The Great Pyramid, may have been Christ in another form also. Thoth was the great teacher of mathematics and other more esoteric subjects.

The bible mainly talks about the experiences of two groups of people; the Hebrews in the Old Testament and the Christians in the New Testament. Except for the Book Of Genesis that time period covers a few thousand years.

There are other experiences that people have had in relation to God that are also true. These are described in the various mythologies such as the Egyptian and Greek stories.

Jeff Marzano

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2012 10:11:14 AM PDT
your nonsense rated more

should have done for each word that did nothing to convey any meaningful idea

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2012 10:23:06 AM PDT

--your nonsense rated more

should have done for each word that did nothing to convey any meaningful idea--

Can you prove by all my words that all my words were complete nonsense and showed I deserved those answers from you ? No.

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 10:26:21 AM PDT
"Do you think this post adds to the discussion?"

In this case, obviously a trick question.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2012 2:21:21 PM PDT
but more meaningful than the OP by an infinite amount

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 10:10:46 AM PDT
M. Simonson says:
"Do you believe Christ may have been reincarnated in our world more than once ?
You have mentioned Saint Augustine at times."

I do not. Augustine did address OT theophanies, a manifestation or appearance of God to man. The form may be angelic or appear as a person. These are thought to be the 2nd person of the trinity by many. A few Christians have thought that Melchizedek may have been a theophany, Harold Camping changed his view to that at one time.
Augustine may have believed things when he was influenced by Manichaeanism that he later abandoned for his Christian beliefs.

Most Christians take the passage "and as it is laid up to men once to die, and after this -- judgment" From Hebrews 9:27 as being meant to refute reincarnation. The literal Christian belief in a resurrection of the body has been conflated and confused with reincarnation in different ways at different times.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 1:08:30 PM PDT
Jeff Marzano says:
M. Simonson says:

[Augustine may have believed things when he was influenced by Manichaeanism that he later abandoned for his Christian beliefs.]

But he was influenced by Plato also. It was Plato's writings that helped Augie see the falsehood of the Manichaeism cult.

I just read that Augustine was influenced by the Neo-Platonism of Plotinus. Although I don't know what the term Neo-Platonism means.

Jeff Marzano

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 10:32:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 6, 2012 10:33:23 AM PDT
M. Simonson,

--Those passages as all passages have to be taken in context, and the context of scripture is all of scripture.
At times they have been taken by culitic Christians and those with some very unbiblical doctrine to say "see we are Christians too". By the time one gets to the guys who say that Christ was one of the many world teachers reincarnated through the ages to enlighten mankind we are no longer dealing with any part of the body whatsoever (it just violates too many other passages).--

You may look below at parts from Irenćus an ancient church father.

Chapter XVI.-Proofs from the apostolic writings, that Jesus Christ was one and the same, the only begotten Son of God, perfect God and perfect man.

1. But there are some who say that Jesus was merely a receptacle of Christ, upon whom the Christ, as a dove, descended from above, and that when He had declared the unnameable Father He entered into the Pleroma in an incomprehensible and invisible manner: for that He was not comprehended, not only by men, but not even by those powers and virtues which are in heaven, and that Jesus was the Son, but that Christ was the Father, and the Father of Christ, God; while others say that He merely suffered in outward appearance, being naturally impassible.

You may look at instructions below before using the link.

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/anf01.ix.iv.xvii.html

If you want to change background to white on Christian Classics Ethereal Library web page then look to top right hand corner of web page for small mechanical symbol and click on it and choose and you may change font size.

If you look to the top of the CCEL web page towards the left or right you may see NEXT or PREV click on any of those to look at pages of before or after.

To look at the contents of the works, look towards top left hand corner for the lines symbol next to PREV and click on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 7:43:28 PM PDT
M. Simonson says:
Thanks for the link I was not aware of that source.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2012 4:10:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 7, 2012 4:12:05 AM PDT
M. Simonson,

--Thanks for the link I was not aware of that source.--

That looks like an honest answer with right will.

You may look at many documents of ancient Christian and Jewish writers in Christian Classics Ethereal Library.

From that website you may look at a collection of documents called
Early Church Fathers - Additional Texts.

You may want to look at The Philocalia of Origen by link below after looking at parts of it below.

CHAP. XIV. ----They who wish to rightly understand the Divine Scriptures must of necessity be acquainted with the logical principles adapted to their use; without these they cannot conceive the exact meaning of the thoughts expressed, as they should do. From Volume III. of the Commentaries on Genesis.

1. "God made the two great lights, the greater light for rule of the day, and the lesser light for rule of the night; he made the stars also. And God set them in the firmament of the heaven, to give light upon the earth and to rule the day and the night." We must, then, inquire whether for rule of the day means the same as to rule the day, and for rule of the night the same as to rule the night, in the ordinary acceptation of the words; for Aquila preserved the parallel, making for authority the equivalent of for rule, and to have authority the equivalent of to rule. And we are told by those who carefully investigate the meaning of words, where they deal with the relation of names and predicates, that the things bearing the names previously exist, and that predicates follow the names. Prudence, for example, they say is a name with a predicate, and the predicate is to be prudent. Similarly, moderation is a name, and to be moderate is a predicate; and they say that prudence pre-exists, and that from prudence is derived the predicate to be prudent. We have made these observations, though some may think we are going beyond the intention of Scripture, because God Who made the lights makes the greater for rule of the day and the lesser for rule of the night; but when He places them in the firmament of the heaven it is no longer for rule of the day and of the night, but to rule the day and the night. The orderly and systematic arrangement of the passage, the names coming first and then the predicates, roused our suspicions that the matter was so understood by the servants of God, and all the more because Aquila, who strove to interpret most literally, has only distinguished the name from the predicate.

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/pearse/morefathers/files/origen_philocalia_02_text.htm#C14

Contents of The Philocalia of Origen by link below.

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/pearse/morefathers/files/origen_philocalia_02_text.htm

You may want to look at MORALS ON THE BOOK OF JOB BY ST. GREGORY THE GREAT by link below after looking at parts of it below.

AN EXPOSITION ON THE BOOK OF BLESSED JOB.

III. But be it known that there are some parts, which we go through in a historical exposition, some we trace out in allegory upon an investigation of the typical meaning, some we open in the lessons of moral teaching alone, allegorically conveyed, while there are some few which, with more particular care, we search out in all these ways together, exploring them in a threefold method.

http://www.lectionarycentral.com/GregoryMoraliaIndex.html

Posted on Aug 19, 2012 4:40:13 PM PDT
People,

Proverbs 20:12

The LORD has made two things. He has made ears that hear. He has also made eyes that see.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Aug 3, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions