Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 45 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 26, 2012 5:44:58 PM PST
Katie Leone says:
I came to the forum looking for a place where Christians gathered in order to edify each other. I found that this is just a place of constant attacks on Christianity.

I, as a rule, don't go to forums where I don't agree with people. I don't see the point to be argumentative. I came here to just say hi to fellow christian, see what everyone was reading these days and have a friendly discourse. I am wide read, have an eclectic taste that includes secular and nonsecular titles and have tried to write my own books.

If you would like to talk about what books you are reading (or authors), I would like to hear what you think about them. If you want to tell me my beliefs are wrong or that I'm stupid for having them, save your fingers.

It's the holiday season. Does anyone know of any books that would cover the historical birth of Jesus. I have read some things about the culture at the time, how the manger would have been an inside dwelling and how the wise men came two years after the birth. That kind of knowledge interests me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 6:03:53 PM PST
Have you read "Why the Nativity?" by David Jeremiah?
It's concise and filled with factual details.
May your Christmas be blessed.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 6:10:57 PM PST
"I came to the forum looking for a place where Christians gathered in order to edify each other."

That would be called a church. This on the other hand is a discussion forum about Christianity, not a fellowship room for Christians.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 9:02:56 PM PST
Katie Leone says:
No I haven't. I'll have to look into it. I listen to David Jeremiah on the radio too and always found what he says to be enlightening.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 9:05:44 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 2, 2012 12:52:09 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 9:06:45 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 9:07:46 PM PST
the only book that would do that is the bible

anything else is some guys opinion
and more often wrong than containing any truth

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 9:09:06 PM PST
Katie Leone says:
Jack vix, you are a very little man with a very little mind. You have a lot of hatred in you and that is a shame. What is there to agree with? You didn't even make a claim of truth, just tried to start yet another argument.

Lets talk facts, logic, and common sense for a second. There is a God, and he loves you. Just because you don't like it, doesn't make it untrue. May your hopelessness end this Christmas.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 9:09:56 PM PST
jack vix is our resident atheist troll

put him on ignore
or learn to skip his rantings

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 1:32:03 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 2, 2012 12:52:20 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 3:31:16 AM PST
Katie Leone says:
except for the fact that I don't have a religion. I have a belief system. But now that I see I can ignore you, go in peace.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 7:30:19 AM PST
M. Simonson says:
"Does anyone know of any books that would cover the historical birth of Jesus."

Try watching the Real Star of Bethlehem presentation on Youtube ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCLmRB-OpGE

There are about 7 parts. Or the whole 64 min is here ...

http://archive.org/details/TheStarOfBethlehem.divx

As far as this forum it's about Christianity (as a topic) not a forum for Christians; it is what it is. On one hand we have mockers and inane pseudo-intellectuals show up; when they try to replace God's position as the creator it's amazing the garbage they replace it with.

On the other hand ever tried going to a Roman Catholic forum and suggesting that Peter was not the first Pope and there was a darn good reason for the reformation? How about going to a neo-charismatic forum and suggesting that those guys who "toke the ghost" (you can Google that) or the guy who lost 1/3 or his church because the uncontrollable laughter in the main service didn't stop for months were influenced by demonic spiritual effects not the Holy spirit? (they like to white-wash everything by calling such behavior "abusing the gifts of the spirit")

So there is an advantage to having a more open forum in places. There are Christian on-line forums and boards but I don't know of any with large participation where 3 folks can have a conversation and interact many times in a day.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 7:39:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 7:42:35 AM PST
I. L. Walker says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 7:42:09 AM PST
I. L. Walker says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 7:43:22 AM PST
"I came to the forum looking for a place where Christians gathered in order to edify each other. I found that this is just a place of constant attacks on Christianity. "

This is a public forum for the discussion of topics related to the subject of Christianity.

It seems to me that what you are looking for is a forum run by and moderated by Christians which restricts itself to only allowing posts which cast Christians and Christianity in a positive light.

You can certainly find such forums online... but this forum isn't one of those.

Is it that you don't want any of your beliefs to be challenged, or only that you object to the tone with which you see them challenged here?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 7:47:09 AM PST
M. Simonson says:
"ridiculing the Truth."

Now what "truth" are you making reference to?
The "truth" that there is no creator?
the "truth" that the RCC is ridden with rubbish?
or the "truth" that some Neo-Charismatics are fallen?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 8:20:37 AM PST
Katie Leone says:
MA: It is the tone and utter closed mindedness. It amazes me, that people can scream and yell about how closed minded Christians are and are double so themselves. It isn't that I haven't scrutinized my own faith, because I have. I know there are some christians who have no idea why they believe what they do, I am not one of them. I know why I believe in the creation story, the flood and the story of Christ and it goes beyond just being told so or reading it from the Bible.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 8:31:15 AM PST
Brian Curtis says:
Really? What other sources did you use to arrive at those conclusions? (And please don't say "science" as though that were a meaningful answer.)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 8:33:05 AM PST
"I know why I believe in the creation story, the flood and the story of Christ and it goes beyond just being told so or reading it from the Bible."

How so? I mean, *all* of the physical evidence we have *directly* contradicts both the Creation and Noah stories. The evidence instead indicates that our universe is 13.7 billion years old, our planet 4.5 billion years old, and that all life on this planet, including us, evolved from simple common ancestors beginning about 3.5 billion years ago.

There's no real debate on these facts... so what is your basis for believing that either the creation or flood stories are actually true?

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 8:45:24 AM PST
Katie Leone says:
The age of the universe and the age of the Earth are actually irrelevant to the conversation. The Bible gives no indication of the time the universe existed and therefore the earth. What we have to look at is life on earth. You say that life evolved from a common ancestor, but there is no evidence supporting that and actually, even in the evolution model, evidence against that.

There is strong evidence for a global flood. That is a fact. The issue that you should be questioning is if the Noah account is accurate. My reasoning, and please realize I am generalizing it and not going into detail, is that if we do have proof that a global flood did occur, there is no contrary evidence to disprove the Noah account. And I know all the little arguments about all the animals on one ark (which was quite huge) and the shortage of food and such, and of course the lions eating the last two unicorns, but there are plausible explanations (I said plausible, we will never know exactly for sure, would we, we weren't there).

What sources did I use... There is historic record, there is geology, there is biology, there is mathematics, there is astrophysics. There are a lot of sources to go to, depending on which part of the Bible you are studying. If you want to prove Jesus was/is real you go to the historic records and there are many outside of the Bible that can confirm certain events. If you are questioning the story of Jonah and the whale, you can go to marine biology to see if such an event can happen (I would like to see a mythbusters done on it).

Evidence is out there, but since I work nights and was woken from a deep sleep by a dear old friend, I am cutting this short. If you are going to question everything, I hope that includes your own beliefs.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 8:55:35 AM PST
"What we have to look at is life on earth. You say that life evolved from a common ancestor, but there is no evidence supporting that and actually, even in the evolution model, evidence against that. "

You're very wrong about that. I'll be glad to provide references to support what I've said, if you're interested.

"There is strong evidence for a global flood. That is a fact."

There is *no* evidence for a global flood. None. If you believe otherwise, then please tell us what that evidence consists of.

"The issue that you should be questioning is if the Noah account is accurate."

I have. It isn't. It couldn't possibly be. See this: http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-noahs-ark.html

"My reasoning, and please realize I am generalizing it and not going into detail, is that if we do have proof that a global flood did occur, there is no contrary evidence to disprove the Noah account."

We have no evidence that a global flood occurs, and plenty of evidence that it didn't. We also have genetic evidence which indicates that flood didn't happen, as the genetics of life don't indicate a genetic "bottleneck" which would correspond with a global flood event.

"And I know all the little arguments about all the animals on one ark (which was quite huge) and the shortage of food and such, and of course the lions eating the last two unicorns, but there are plausible explanations (I said plausible, we will never know exactly for sure, would we, we weren't there). "

There are no plausible explanations which could support such a story. See my reference for the details.

"What sources did I use... There is historic record, there is geology, there is biology, there is mathematics, there is astrophysics."

All of those directly contradict the Noah myth.

"There are a lot of sources to go to, depending on which part of the Bible you are studying."

How does the Bible qualify as a source when it comes to geology, biology, physics, or chemistry?

"Evidence is out there,..."

Yes, quite a bit of it... but it doesn't support the idea that the Noah myth is real.

"... but since I work nights and was woken from a deep sleep by a dear old friend, I am cutting this short. If you are going to question everything, I hope that includes your own beliefs."

I always question my own beliefs. However, I much prefer knowledge over belief.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 9:12:18 AM PST
I. L. Walker says:
MS - I reference the Truth revealed by the Creator of the Universe. There is indeed a Creator, if not, how did the Universe come into existence, MS? The RCC was establisned by Jesus to lead sinners to salvation, that is what it does, MS. Neo Charismatics, never heard of that one, but considering the times we live in I will assume it would represent those who turn to their ego to find God instead of what God requires, humility. That will never change, and neither will the turning wheel of egos new creation.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 9:27:41 AM PST
M. Simonson says:
I have read and studied the RCC position on these matters but I find they fly in the face of scripture not to mention adding false teachings from the bowls of perdition like purgatory. Have you ever read Dave Hunt's excellent book A Woman rides the Beast?

There are some on this forum that may call those with your ideas "pope bots". I am not one of those ... but I do understand ... I do understand.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 9:44:30 AM PST
I. L. Walker says:
MS - Pick a teaching of the RCC and expose, in your words of course, with your understanding, how that teaching "flys in the face of scripture not to mention adding false teachings from the bowels of perdition". If purgatory is a topic you are comfortable with, please proceed with your understanding of what the Church teaches and how it perverts the scriptures. I am comforted that you realize that Catholics follow the unchanging teachings of the Church Jesus established, and the shepherds of the Church who have the authority given by Jesus to preserve those teachings function in just that way to meet the challenges of each age. What do you understand, specifically, MS?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 10:06:02 AM PST
M. Simonson says:
There have been many topics debating Catholicism. I usually chose to stay out of them but I will respond to childish attacks like the one you made a few posts back.

To answer your question the idea that the apostle Peter was the first pope is really twisting one of the keys passage; the idea of any bishop being infallible in stating matters of the faith is worse.

BTW I mentioned the idea as drinking from bowls of perdition but I like your idea "bowels of perdition"better.

Any poster can post anything in any thread (though some OPs falsely think they can control a thread they started) but going into detail in the RCC vs Protestant debate is drifting off topic. Keep looking and you can find those debate threads.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Christianity forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Christianity forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  45
Initial post:  Nov 26, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions