Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Movember Gifts Under $50 May The Best Garden Be Yours Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now DOTD
Customer Discussions > Classic Movie forum

Name This Black and White Film

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 16, 2012 10:54:52 PM PST
Help me find this comedy. I only saw it once, so I don't have a lot to go on. Black and white, about an old man (an uncle, i think) who goes to visit his family, is mistaken for someone else, fakes an injury to stay awhile and help patch things up without them realizing who he is. i believe the family has an older and younger daughter (i remember the younger daughter spent alot of time at the soda fountain). it is not "the man who came to dinner". the lead actor was a bit overweight and had white hair, he stayed in a bedroom on the second floor of the house. any ideas?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 5:25:49 PM PST
Larry Kelley says:
Esther: Sounds like a Charles Coburn movie, maybe. There have been a number of movies back in the b/w days with a similar theme.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 6:09:10 PM PST
I thought you might be right, but I looked through his imdb and didn't see the one I'm thinking of. sounds similar to "the more the merrier" type of roll.
I think the lead actor was acerbic at first, but eased up as the movie went on, etc.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 7:49:18 PM PST
Larry Kelley says:
Esther: There were quite a few actors with white hair--but not that many that were chunky. I can't remember Charles Laughton in that sort of role. Sorry can't be of more help.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 1:40:34 AM PST
Esther, I hope someone will be able to find the title for your film. It sounds very familiar to me and I 've tried to have a look but not coming up with anything.

I'm on a quest to try and find an old black and white film too. It was a very short one starring Joan Fontaine. I've checked imdb, Wiki, a biography etc.
I haven't yet bought her autobiography so will have to do that. I hope that it may be shown on tv again although I doubt it. Sunday afternoons used to have old black and white films shown on BBC1 or BBC 2 but they stopped that years ago.
I'll have to check TCM.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 2:42:41 AM PST
Balok says:

> I'm on a quest to try and find an old black and white film too. It was a very short one starring Joan
> Fontaine.

Well, *that* sure limits the possibilities.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 5:31:19 AM PST
Hi Balok, a bit more info, it was approx 10 minutes long, she had a very sad, frowny face. The only bits I can remember are she was walking down a street looking in shop windows and hated seeing her reflection because she thought she was too plain.
Then at the end she meets a man and she smiles and is transformed into being beautiful.

I'm wondering if it is an extract from a longer film that I haven't watched.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 1:31:32 PM PST
kcvisitor says:
Could it be one with Claudette Cobert, Jennifer Jones (oldest daughter) Shirley Temple (youngest daughter) Joseph Cotton? It takes place during WWII and the old man upstairs has Robert Walker as a nephew? If so, it's called "Since You Went Away."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 4:32:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012 4:34:12 PM PST
dustman says:

That segment you describe reminds me of Max Ophüls' "Letter From An Unknown Woman" (1948) with Joan Fontaine and Louis Jordan. I seem to recall a scene in that film similar to the one you describe.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 11:20:46 PM PST
dustman, thanks for the info, I'll take a look - it could be that one.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 4:36:12 AM PST
dustman says:

I've had this film DVR'd for a while and I liked it so much that I've not yet had the heart to erase it. I've looked through if somewhat and, though some of the scenes remind me of your description, it may not be the one. Well, even if it's not the film in question, at least you will have seen a very good film.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 5:40:57 AM PST
dustman, I think I have seen it a long time ago but forgotten. I was brought up on the old black and white films, it was compulsive Sunday afternoon viewing back in the late sixties and early seventies. I think I watched hundreds of lovely films back then.

I think this film that I would love to find again, must have been a specially made short film. I'm sure at the very end it changed from black and white into colour.I think there was no dialogue possibly a narrator.

I'm going to add Letter From An Unknown Woman to my Lovefilm rental list.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 7:34:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 7:35:50 AM PST
dustman says:

I hope you'll like "Letter From An Unknown Woman". Besides a very good story, there are some interesting set pieces and the cinematography is grand. Stars Joan Fontaine and Louis Jordan.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 7:46:58 PM PST
Zonker says:
The Man Who Came To Dinner

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 7:49:16 PM PST
Zonker says:
Oops, re-read your query.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 4:22:04 AM PST
dustman says:

Just today I thought the film might be "The Enchanted Cottage" 1945. Check out the stats on that one. It's a possiblity.

The film starred Robert Young and Dorothy McGuire.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 6:21:48 AM PST
not that one, but it sounds like a great movie - just looked it up!

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 6:22:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 6:28:57 AM PST
oops, kacee, i thought you were responding to my original question - hope that's the movie you were looking for.

Don't know if this will help anyone figure out the name of the movie I'm looking for - - but it did air on AMC in the early 90's when I originally saw it. I tried to look through their archives, but couldn't really find a full list, etc.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 7:55:51 PM PST
dustman says:

I hope there'll be someone to give an answer to your trivia question. It sounds like a good film.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 8:02:20 PM PST
J. Demers says:
Was it Monte Wooley in the movie?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 6:29:31 AM PST
I don't think so. The lead was a little more playful looking. There's a small chance it could be "While you were away," but the description sounds much darker than the movie I remember.

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 6:56:54 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 14, 2013 7:27:07 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 7:01:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 14, 2013 7:28:05 PM PST
Krispinion says:
That film is: HAS ANYBODY SEEN MY GAL with Charles Coburn - but it's in color not black and white. The uncle wants to spy on the family to see if his heirs deserve his fortune. I think it may be difficult to find, because when I asked my library to order it, only one library in the country had it. I did get to see it again after many years. It was good, but not as good as I remembered.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2013 7:23:40 AM PST
THANK YOU!!! I have been trying to figure this out for YEARS! haha. looked up a clip on youtube and this is definitely the movie I was looking for. Anxious to see if it lives up to my memory. Found it on Amazon in a Rock Hudson collection. Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 7:44:48 PM PST
Krispinion says:
Glad it was the one. Now I have a question about an old black and white movie. It was about a man who was blind, deaf and paralyzed from an injury (in the war?) and the whole movie was just him remembering scenes from his life. Anybody know the name of this movie?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classic Movie forum (346 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
The Obituary Thread (to acknowledge and honor entertainment figures and classic movie stars who we've lost recently) 4193 10 minutes ago
CLASSIC MOVIE CHATLINE ~ Part Six ~ (our place for casual conversation) 8373 20 minutes ago
Coolest movie lines of all time 2876 1 hour ago
the restaurant at this end of the universe 4772 2 hours ago
Roundtable Discussion (Part 3): Screening Films from Hollywood's Golden Age 3032 9 hours ago
"Talk of the Tome": Bookish Conversation Devoted to both Literature and Film 8557 17 hours ago
Classic era HOLIDAY films, or any that include HOLIDAY SCENES 437 2 days ago
The Baronzo Creative Writing Thread (a place for an even more casual conversation) 5063 5 days ago
DISH WASHING forum - a place for venting :?O 1603 7 days ago
Trivia Game 0 14 days ago
World War II movies The best to watch 74 Sep 23, 2015
Thank you for your support of Amazon Discussion Forums. Due to the changing needs of Amazon Forums, we have decided to stop supporting the `Active discussions in related forums' feature in order to focus on providing the most value for our customers. 19 Aug 7, 2015

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Movie forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions