Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Classic Movie forum

classics that still delight

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 19, 2013 6:32:09 PM PST
Gone with the Wind, My Fair Lady, The Sound of Music, Mary Poppins, Dr Doolittle...all wonderful classics that still delight and children can enjoy without parental fears.

Posted on Jan 19, 2013 8:48:34 PM PST
Knight says:
Those are all great picks.
It's a Wonderful Life, Ben Hur, E.T., Singin in the Rain, West Side Story, and Star Wars are all good classics too.

Some of the best classics for kids are the disney animated movies like Bambi, snow white, Cinderella, Peter pan, and dumbo.

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 11:30:55 AM PST
A brief cautionary word: I wouldn't show "Gone with the Wind" to children. It has moments that are for more mature audiences; actually the whole movie has a good deal of adult content (family tragedies, slavery, war, amputation, starvation, sexual manipulation, a dying horse, a child dying on a horse, a soldier getting shot in the face, prostitution, etc). But that's a personal judgment call, I guess.

Good choice in "Mary Poppins"-- this is simply marvelous. Even as a middle aged adult, I still like watching it every once in a while because it's such fun and such quality moviemaking. The music and songs, acting, sets, animation, and special effects are top notch. Plus, its message never fades: value your children and show them love and attention.

There are many classic movies that still delight me (and would any family):

The Court Jester
Auntie Mame
The Trouble with Angels
The Ghost and Mr. Chicken
Meet Me in St. Louis
The Wizard of Oz
The Seven Faces of Doctor Lao
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (also by A&C: Who Done It)
The Adventures of Robin Hood
A Night at the Opera
The Shaggy DA
The Errand Boy (a zany Jerry Lewis movie)
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
The Three Lives of Thomasina
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
anything by Laurel & Hardy (Way Out West, Sons of the Desert, Blockheads)
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Some Like it Hot
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Swiss Family Robinson

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2013 10:15:51 PM PST
Balok says:
@Baron Sardonicus:

> Good choice in "Mary Poppins"-- this is simply marvelous.

When I was still young enough that _Mary Poppins_ might have been of interest, it was on TV, and I couldn't get past Dick van Dyke's so-called "Cockney" accent. As in I changed the channel as soon as he started speaking.

I don't understand your objection to adult themes in _Gone with the Wind_ (I just think that it's boring, but de gustibus and all that), but not to adult themes in _Some Like It Hot_.

I am going to plump once again for the 1940 version of _The Thief of Bagdad_. True, the love story is about as sappy as it gets, but the effects are amazing for the time, Conrad Veidt is one of the greatest villains EVAH, and the story is entertaining all the way through.

One overlooked children's classic is _The 5000 Fingers of Dr. T_. It's the only feature film written by Dr. Seuss (as opposed to films based on his books), and more than a bit strange, but Hans Conried is clearly having the time of his life.

I'm not sure if the Gene Wilder _Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory_ is old enough to be a "classic that still delights," but it should be (although there are a few moments that might scare younger children).

A good companion piece to _Singin' in the Rain_ is _The Band Wagon_. If your family likes musicals, then you could do worse than the classic Astaire/Rogers films, particularly _Top Hat_, _Swing Time_, _The Gay Divorcee_, and _The Barkleys of Broadway_. Another overlooked classic musical is _Cover Girl_ (people may not be aware that Rita Hayworth got her start as a dancer). I find the two Astaire/Hayworth vehicles to be of less interest, although _You Were Never Lovelier_ is undoubtedly the better.

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 5:12:21 PM PST
Bob Bykowski says:
'Mary Poppins' is a delight, but 'The Sound of Music' is pure syrupy corn (IMO). As soon as I hear "The hills are alive...", I want to reach for the earplugs.

Here's a few of my choices for family flicks with no objectionable content to worry about:

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
Oliver !
Singin' in the Rain
The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes (a '60's Disney flick featuring a young Kurt Russell)
Bringing Up Baby (Cary Grant & Katherine Hepburn; zany and fun)
City Lights (Charlie Chaplin)
Who Done It ? (Abbott and Costello)
Robin and the Seven Hoods
Boy's Town
High Noon
Goodbye Mr. Chips (the original with Robert Donat)

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 12:10:12 PM PST
The WB Busbey Berkley musicals,Golddiggers of 1933,Dames,Footlight Parade,and others

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 4:18:28 AM PST
Balok says:
@Michael J. Mason:

> WB Busbey Berkley musicals

I'm not sure that those are suitable for children -- especially the ones with Billy Barty. Not that they aren't great movies, mind you.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 7:39:49 AM PST
you mean the same kids that play the God awful violent video games,and get on wed sites that are x rated?I don't think Billy Barty could do to much damage!

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 7:54:52 AM PST
I just saw Ladys of Leisure,Barbara Stanwycks first big part,what a great actress she was,those who only remember her as and older lady on Big Valley,need to go back and watch a young Barbara Stanwyck,her range of emotion can't be dublicated by any other actress in history!

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 9:56:45 AM PDT
I just received Frank Capra the early years 5 films ,4 with Barbara Stanwyck,all great the first one I watched was Ladies of Leisure,this was the first big starring role for Barbara,
her performance was extrodinary especially when you consider how little acting she had done at this point her range of emotion in this film is astonishing,

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 1:42:45 PM PDT
TinkHerToy says:
Of course Mary Poppins...Dick Van Dykes' fakey cockney accent aside (to not watch just because of THAT is a pretty sad comment.) And The Wizard of Oz. I have always loved Gone With The Wind ever since I first read the book, then saw the movie. I sure do wish Disney would get over their paralyzing fear of the NAACP and release Song of the South. The fables of Uncle Remus are applicable to today, too. I do love all the old MGM musicals, especially those with Judy Garland. I recently discovered an old sixties movie, 40 Pounds of Trouble with Tony Curtis and Suzanne Pleshette. It's a little gem set in simpler times, and somewhat predictable except for the 20 minutes shot INSIDE Disneyland in 1962. All the films Walt Disney made in his lifetime.....classics every one, to me.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classic Movie forum (349 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
the restaurant at this end of the universe 5502 1 hour ago
Roundtable Discussion (Part 3): Screening Films from Hollywood's Golden Age 3255 6 hours ago
CLASSIC MOVIE CHATLINE ~ Part Six ~ (our place for casual conversation) 9217 23 hours ago
DISH WASHING forum - a place for venting :?O 1756 1 day ago
The Obituary Thread (to acknowledge and honor entertainment figures and classic movie stars who we've lost recently) 4648 1 day ago
Coolest movie lines of all time 2937 1 day ago
"Talk of the Tome": Bookish Conversation Devoted to both Literature and Film 8755 3 days ago
The berry tree ? A good movie. 9 3 days ago
The Baronzo Creative Writing Thread (a place for an even more casual conversation) 5186 4 days ago
When does the "Classic Genre" End? 76 4 days ago
Movie Remakes - yesterday & today 9 6 days ago
Classic Cartoons, anyone? 1038 7 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Movie forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Jan 19, 2013
Latest post:  Apr 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions