Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Classic Movie forum

SATURDAY POLL, continued -- Our week's movie viewing (What did you see, what did you like?)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 3151-3175 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 5:27:20 AM PDT
Fancy...You should see The Raven anyway!...with your movie buddy...It will be interesting to hear another review...HURRY!!! GO!!!...smiles*

Posted on May 1, 2012 5:28:16 AM PDT
This looks interesting also>>>...Kinda Stepford Wife-ish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAsbowwhXkw&feature=related

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 9:19:53 AM PDT
Nancy says:
Oh! Thank you Bitter,
Love it, Jane Campion is a favorite of mine, ever since THE PIANO. I was dissapointed with A Potrait Of A Lady, but I still try and like it. She made some others I enjoyed too...but I just cant remember their names right now. You just made my day!! :)

Posted on May 2, 2012 12:40:40 AM PDT
C McGhee says:
I just finished watching the potentially worst (I'm considering) movie I've ever seen. It is Robert Altman's, 3 Women. I understand this is ballyhooed as a dreamlike sequence movie but it could be more accurately described as a snoozefest. No story, no chance of there being any acting done & I felt like my face was being pushed through a bowl of oatmeal slow enough to drown me. It took three goes to get through it & I wish my stubborn streak would rot in hades. Coincidently I looked up the rating on imdb & it was 7.8 out of 10. Amazon's was about 4.5 out of 5. I do not believe I was ever once in my life high enough to ever see any cinematic relativity in this movie & I hope that I never am able to.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 2:03:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 2, 2012 2:05:33 AM PDT
McGhee--
Altman's like that.

My potentially worst movie I've ever seen is another one of his: QUINTET (1979), with Paul Newman, Bibi Andersson and Fernando Rey.
Just typing the name here made me cringe.

Back then, all the experts were predicting a new Ice Age, and that's the setting for the story. Now, these same geniuses say we're greenhouse gassing ourselves to superheated extinction. WATERWORLD is based on the theory of both polar ice caps melting, and I'm sure there's other films that rely on global warming to drive their stories.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 7:02:26 PM PDT
C McGhee says:
Annie- Bibi Anderson

for a look at her you watch PERSONA by Bergman.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 9:25:29 PM PDT
McGhee--
Sure did. Last year. :?)

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 10:46:22 PM PDT
C McGhee says:
Annie- Persona

I was wondering if you picked up on the link between that movie & Transactional Analysis a form of psychotherapy created by a Canadian doctor in the late 1950's? It's one of the reasons I rate the movie highly.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 10:56:17 PM PDT
McGhee--
I remember studying TA in high school. Thought it a gimmick.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 11:16:59 PM PDT
C McGhee says:
Annie- gimmick

true but the movie is certainly an exposition on it's techniques. It's the first time I'm aware that a psychology practice was pantomimed by a film. In that sense it is deftly done & of course certainly right up Bergman's alley.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 11:57:30 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 3, 2012 12:53:51 AM PDT]

Posted on May 3, 2012 1:08:35 AM PDT
C McGhee says:
Annie- [Deleted by Amazon 13 minutes ago]

I can't imagine what you said, but it musta been good!

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 1:25:33 AM PDT
It was a shrink joke where the patient states he "can't understand why everyone hates me"
then calls the doc a name (you fat b..) in the same sentence.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 1:48:07 AM PDT
C McGhee says:
Annie- It was a shrink joke

well it wouldn't shrink me, I'm not fat. ;>)

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 1:52:26 AM PDT
C McGhee says:
BITTERSWEET- Stepford Wife-ish

Did you read the comments under the trailer? Just scroll down.

Posted on May 3, 2012 1:58:30 AM PDT
C McGhee says:
Diary of a Nymphomaniac (DVD)

*******SPOILERS*******

Diary of a Nymphomaniac is a story framed around the sexual journeys of a woman yet, that is not the message of the movie. I do admit it appears that way for a very large portion of the story. It is a very graphic telling of the life of a woman that is easily intoxicated by the tactile & sensual just as the title would indicate. There's a lot of nudity & lots of sexual activity so much of it in fact that it would be easy to see this as simply an exploitation movie. It certainly isn't that however.

Directed by Christina Molina & made in Spain with Spanish & French language tracks & English subtitles the movie Stars Belen Fabra as Valerie the nymphomaniac & Geraldine Chaplin as her Grandmother / counselor. At the start of the story we are shown Valerie's obsession with the tactile, the sensual & see her exploration of that part of her personality. She moves through various relationships from casual to professional while always having the small voice inside her mind questioning about normality. She knows she is abnormal sexually & wonders if love is possible.

Enter, a man she comes to love & is willing to give up all her sexual freedom for. He's rich, successful, handsome & romantic, her dream lover. Committing herself to him she discovers that he is also not a great lover. That does not deter her in the least. She wishes he was different but will accept him as he is. That is when she learns he is also insanely jealous & of course when the jealousy strikes he is vile & abusive. Her only escape is to leave him even though as she says, "I still love him"

This brings her full circle back into having only herself to deal with & she returns to her former life in order to rid herself of these memories that beset her from her `love gone bad'. Yet she is morose & searches her memory for her Grandmother's advice which has always been to not let any pleasure in life pass her by. Her grandmother, who has passed away, was a woman married to one man for many years that enjoyed home life & needlecraft. It's here at the end that Valerie understands that her grandmother's advice was to accept herself as she is & enjoy being Valerie. She has not escaped her love of the tactile & sensual but she has escaped the self doubts about who she is. Now she finally has a chance of getting a grasp on her sensual nature.

It really is a mental health workers movie as the theme could be applied to any situation one is confronted with inside yourself that you just can't seem to change. The movie could have been made about a person that just can't quit smoking but then who would watch that. The degree of sexuality in this movie is high but it is also tastefully done & central to the storyline. The drawback is that lots of people will watch for the sex scenes only & then the message goes a' glimmering. I believe that's the viewer's problem, not the directors. I did enjoy Geraldine Chaplin's part in this show even though it's small. The quite, self-assured advice given without explanation played well at the end of the movie.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 2:02:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 3, 2012 2:04:08 AM PDT
Just finished a review of the 1968 Broadway musical PROMISES, PROMISES, with Jerry Orbach and Jill O'Hara.

This 1969 recording won a Best Cast Grammy. Engineer was Phil Ramone, best known for his work with Simon & Garfunkel. Dionne Warwick had two hit singles from its score: "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" and the title tune. For anyone listening to pop radio in the mid-60s, the Bacharach/David style of these arrangements will be familiar, if not their lyrics and melodies. Twin horn statements, touches of glockenspiel and vigorous triangle rhythms are prominent on several songs.

(just an excerpt of my review)

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 2:31:00 AM PDT
C McGhee says:
Annie- Promises, Promises

well I own the 1963 movie which are known for two things, Jayne & Mansfield. Not nearly as good a show as the one you reviewed.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 2:34:11 AM PDT
McGhee--

David Merrick's Broadway musical PROMISES, PROMISES is adapted from the Billy Wilder film dramedy THE APARTMENT (1960), with Jack Lemmon, Shirley MacLaine, and Fred MacMurray. It's the story of an insurance company junior exec who climbs the corporate ladder by allowing superiors and their mistresses to use his flat as a love nest.

The stage production opened on 12/1/68 and ran until 1/1/72, for a total of 1,218 performances. Jill O'Hara, Edward Winter and Tony-winners Jerry Orbach and Marian Mercer were featured. Ken Howard and Paul Reed were members of the supporting cast. Six other Tony nominations include Best Musical, Choreography and Director. (Miss O'Hara also got a nod.)

(ooh. sneaked in some more!)

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 2:39:36 AM PDT
C McGhee says:
Annie- Jerry Orbach

not a cassically handsome guy but I really like his work. He was in a really black drama called LAST EXIT TO BROOKLYN as a Union Boss I got a kick outta just seeing him.

>>superiors and their mistresses to use his flat as a love nest.

& to think my parents used to tell me not to act superior. DANG!

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 2:54:02 AM PDT
McGhee--

Jerry Orbach was in the original cast of Broadway's longest-running musical, THE FANTASTIKS. In this show, he introduced the classic ballad, "Try to Remember." Most folks who watched Orbach on LAW & ORDER probably never thought of him as a vocalist, but he had a great singing voice.

PS-- Being an obsessed cockroach must be a sad thing.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 3:42:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 3, 2012 3:45:42 AM PDT
Balok says:
@Annie Van Auken:

> It was a shrink joke where the patient states he "can't understand why everyone hates me"
> then calls the doc a name (you fat b..) in the same sentence.

That reminds me of the Buddy Hackett routine in which he described a visit to the Vatican museum and looking at the paintings which are worth millions of dollars, and asking one of the cardinals, "Why don't you sell some of these paintings and give the money to the poor?" To which the cardinal responded, "Get out of here, you fat b------!" Except (as Hackett continued) he said it in Latin: "Exete, obeseri illegitimo!"

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 3:45:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 3, 2012 3:46:28 AM PDT
Balok says:
@Annie Van Auken:

> Tony-winners Jerry Orbach

People who only know him from _Law & Order_ don't know what a truly talented song-and-dance man he was. IIRC, he played El Gallo in the original off-Broadway production of _The Fantasticks_. All hail Woody Allen for resurrecting Orbach's career in _Crimes and Misdemeanors_.

EDIT: I see that Annie van Auken beat me to the punch with some of the information. Orbach was good enough that it's worth hearing it twice, IMHO.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 3:47:33 AM PDT
I love it!
Best laugh I've had in a long time. :?D

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 3:49:31 AM PDT
Oh, it's not a contest.

(PS-- I win!)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classic Movie forum (349 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
the restaurant at this end of the universe 5374 46 minutes ago
The Baronzo Creative Writing Thread (a place for an even more casual conversation) 5179 2 hours ago
"Talk of the Tome": Bookish Conversation Devoted to both Literature and Film 8728 5 hours ago
Classic Cartoons, anyone? 976 8 hours ago
The Obituary Thread (to acknowledge and honor entertainment figures and classic movie stars who we've lost recently) 4634 11 hours ago
DISH WASHING forum - a place for venting :?O 1749 1 day ago
Roundtable Discussion (Part 3): Screening Films from Hollywood's Golden Age 3227 3 days ago
CLASSIC MOVIE CHATLINE ~ Part Six ~ (our place for casual conversation) 9181 4 days ago
Oh no! It's the CLASSIC TURKEYS thread!!!!! 1064 11 days ago
Coolest movie lines of all time 2930 23 days ago
Young doctor says to never drink cold milk 0 23 days ago
Curious as to what Harold Bloom thinks of Donald Trump 0 24 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Movie forum
Participants:  29
Total posts:  3749
Initial post:  Mar 13, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 22, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions