Customer Discussions > Classic Movie forum

Water Cooler Conversations

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 2026-2050 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Apr 12, 2011 7:31:06 AM PDT
Hey!
How come in "Frankenstein" theres a grim reaper on someones grave? Just a thought. And another, it stuck me, that most have assumed that the monster, or reanimated body is called Frankenstein. Whenasked what they will be for Holloween, some answer, "Frankenstein" and proceed to show up as the creature, not the doctor.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2011 8:42:05 AM PDT
stevign says:
Or blades.

http://www.petpeoplesplace.com/petstore/pet-image-large/belgian-infantry-officer-sword-toledo-blade-1872_260444389645.jpg

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2011 8:16:47 PM PDT
Nancypants,

Re: Frankenstein name

Great point there. Most people know the monster as "Frankenstein". It just happened. Maybe because the man-made man was not given a proper name in the movie?

I never read the book, so I don't know if he was named. I assume not, but I could be wrong. It is funny, I agree, that so many people call the creature the mad doctor's name rather than "Frankenstein's Monster".

And as Jerry Seinfeld once said, isn't it odd that the monster wore a blazer? Did the doctor have a bunch of them in storage, I wonder.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2011 8:40:42 PM PDT
stevign says:
re: "I don't know if he was named"

He was, it was Barry.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2011 8:56:05 PM PDT
lmao!

Of course, Barry. Duh. I plum forgot.

And in "Bride of Frankenstein" the female mate was briefly referred to as Sheila.

Posted on Apr 13, 2011 7:18:16 AM PDT
I watched "Dead Ringers" for the first time yesterday. Creepy! Gotta get me some PEEPS soon. YUM!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2011 7:38:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2012 8:56:19 PM PST
I have not yet seen that one... by Mister Cronenberg. He does creepy well.

A sampling (pasted from wikipedia):
The Brood (1979)
Scanners (1981)
Videodrome (1983)
The Dead Zone (1983)
The Fly (1986)
Dead Ringers (1988)
Naked Lunch (1991)
M. Butterfly (1993)
Crash (1996)
eXistenZ (1999)
Spider (2002)
A History of Violence (2005)

Ever see The Brood, involving a fascinating and terrifying idea: suppose your negative emotions like rage and fear could manifest themselves physically. (I won't spoil things by saying more. Definitely unsettling horror. Worth a rental. But like all things Cronenberg, it could give you bad dreams, lol.)

Posted on Apr 13, 2011 7:39:22 AM PDT
Marshmallow Peeps? 'Tis the season.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2011 7:43:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 13, 2011 7:44:55 AM PDT
I saw "The Brood" at the theaters, nice one. My Niece, Danielle will not touch this one, she saids the little ones creep her out and shes 27! I've seen them all except "Videodome," and this was on cable the other day, DARN! And "Naked Lunch," and "Spider" I believe. "eXistenZ" is another cool one, I happened along this one at a rental store, remember those?

Posted on Apr 13, 2011 7:46:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 13, 2011 7:48:21 AM PDT
...maybe a Cadbury Egg? Something for the sugar rush and premature death by exstacy. :P*
"Le Petite Morte," mine, anyway. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2011 7:48:19 AM PDT
stevign says:
Dead Ringers was interesting.
Crash is well worth avoiding.
A History of Violence is the best one on the list and worth seeing.

I've discovered over the years that I really don't care much for Cronenberg.

Posted on Apr 13, 2011 7:50:18 AM PDT
RE: Cronenberg
I like him. I remember his role in "Night Breed." I still like that one. I need to check out Crash, its one of the ones I keep putting off.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2011 9:02:16 AM PDT
ĴĴ says:
A rental store?! Mankind hasn't always used streaming?! BUT BUT BUT it's so easy a caveman could do it!!! :-P

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2011 10:43:34 AM PDT
stevign,

I think I like the idea of Cronenberg's style more than his actual movies. "The Fly" was interesting but every now and then I felt a little bit like throwing up, lol. The arm wrestling, the pencil, the teeth, etc. Yuck.

PS-
Best thing in "The Brood": Samantha Eggar licking it clean. lmao

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2011 10:48:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 13, 2011 10:48:37 AM PDT
Rental stores, ahhh yes. Our local 'Lackluster Video' closed up last month. I think I rented from them one time in the last two years. I got too addicted from the convenience and selection and service of Netflix. I was lucky enough to receive a Christmas gift from someone in 2008, a subscription to Netflix, and she renewed it every December. Great gift idea, really. Easy to set up for the giver, and it gives pleasure all year long.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2011 12:57:13 PM PDT
stevign says:
http://screamtv.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/thebrood1.jpg

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2011 7:55:49 PM PDT
Oh my

Posted on Apr 14, 2011 6:48:34 AM PDT
I got my Peeps.......purple ones too! :P*

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2011 6:33:11 PM PDT
Naked Lunch is probably the best Cronenburg film, but there is another...before the one about twins.
The Dead Zone. With Christopher Walken, was a good movie.

His films are repulsive and hard to digest, agreed. But entertaining. ExsitenZ was not bad, but not as good as Naked Lunch.

Posted on Apr 29, 2011 6:35:31 PM PDT
End of era in Video. I began my first normal (outside of stagehand in college) job right as the industry boomed in 1988. It became a way of life for many of us: one could find obscure movies in the convenience stores even.
That and 80's horror, completely gone now. And for good!
Interesting how each decade, with some dips in overall quality, has its own style of horror, as if it had a ten year shelf life before a necessary refresh/reboot.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2011 6:37:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 29, 2011 6:39:16 PM PDT
stevign says:
Eastern Promises (2007) was one I forgot and should mention. I liked it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPSqWOWgCRQ

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 1:02:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2011 1:20:26 PM PST
HANS....(padre)...i enjoyed reading your review on PURE PINBALL....i had NO idea that you played XBOX GAMES....have you actually turned into one of those nerds??? winks*

how have you and your family been???...smiles*

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 3:03:13 PM PST
BITS !!!

The thread still Exists, WOW !
I have been Busy in a Good Way, and how are You Doing ?
I am NOT a nerd, I Am A Geek !!!
I Love playing Games, it's what I do whenever I'm
not doing something else.
Some games I get Tired of, so I move on to the next one...

Still editing posts, Sweetie ?
Have a Spectacularly Scrumptious Holiday Season,

Hans

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 3:56:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2011 4:00:55 PM PST
YEP...still editing posts...HA!...it's really my only downfall---vice???...passion??? addiction???....

it's so funny....or maybe not...but for some reason i was compelled to find the water cooler thread today...AND....then...i looked at your profile...of course...and i saw your latest game review on the 9th!!! so i knew you had been around recently!!! and VOILA!!!

i l*o*v*e* playing games too PADRE!!!...winks*

OH!!! so....is that it???...you're not gonna stick around the water cooler??? pout*...

thank you for such nice well wishes* HANS....still a sweetie i see...i'll be celebrating the witches sabbath of YULE...but don't get these folks started on that!!! YIKES!!!

YOU* and your family----have a wonderfully deliciously spiritually loving CHRISTMAS season as well....smiles*

CYA*~
Your reply to `*ˆ*Bïtter§wëet¹ *ˆ*` (BS)'s post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 8:56:31 AM PST
*** ♥ ♥ ♥ ♫ ♪ ♫ *HAPPY BIRTHDAY PADRE* ♪ ♫ ♪ ♥ ♥ ♥ ***

i hope that everything in your world is still majick*...

hugs*

·*¨) ¸.·*¨) ¸.·*¨*
(¸.*´ ¸.·´*'~* ♥♡♥ BITTERSWEET*
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Thank you for your support of Amazon Discussion Forums. Due to the changing needs of Amazon Forums, we have decided to stop supporting the ‘Active discussions in related forums’ feature in order to focus on providing the most value for our customers.  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Movie forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  2053
Initial post:  May 18, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions